U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:54 PM

29,021 posts, read 50,209,385 times

Advertisements

The Rutherford Institute is asking the Supreme Court to hear a case in which a Bible reading was banned from school.

The Institute is representing Donna Busch who was invited to read the Bible to her son's class in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania. John Whitehead, founder of The Rutherford Institute, summarizes the case, which began in October 2004.

Bible ban case may go to Supreme Court (OneNewsNow.com) (http://www.onenewsnow.com/Legal/Default.aspx?id=677220 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,832,291 times
I think that is outrageous.

It's long over due for grown-ups to take back the administration of schools. If the class assignment was to read from their favorite book, then allowing a student to read from their favorite book is what they should be allowed to do regardless of what the damned book they want to read.

Signed a p-offed atheist.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM

19,109 posts, read 28,083,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

It's long over due for grown-ups to take back the administration of schools. If the class assignment was to read from their favorite book, then allowing a student to read from their favorite book is what they should be allowed to do regardless of what the damned book they want to read.

Agreed completely!!

If that's a kid's favorite book, they should be allowed to read it, it's not like their holding hands and praying...

Old 09-21-2009, 07:53 PM

24,874 posts, read 22,272,032 times
Quote:

As long as anyone who is offended is allowed to leave the class, I agree.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,720,883 times
I, too, am an atheist and find this insane.

He just said it was his favorite book. Nothing else.

Just today actually, I mentioned the Mahabharata (Hindi religious text) as one of the most beautiful things I have read. Some Christians students got offended. That is ok. My right to say it just like they can say the Bible is the most beautiful thing they have read.

He just said it was his favorite book. I don't see the big deal.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,682,201 times
Like anything else anyoine offended should be able to be excluded no matter what is read.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 PM

39,016 posts, read 21,170,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As long as anyone who is offended is allowed to leave the class, I agree.
So children should not be exposed to different points of views? I thought tolerance was all about openness to being exposed to different points of views? Should we start limiting their exposure to only things that are guaranteed to not offend? What kind of education would that be?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,080,108 times
Quote:

To show my unbiaesedness (I know it's not a word), I sir, am giving you a rep point. I did it last week for Karfar. C-D is doing what Obama can't do; bringing the left and right together.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,832,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
To show my unbiaesedness (I know it's not a word), I sir, am giving you a rep point. I did it last week for Karfar. C-D is doing what Obama can't do; bringing the left and right together.
Well, I don't know if this is a left/right issue as opposed to just one of common sense.

Maybe there is something to this story that we aren't reading about, I sure as hell hope so.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 PM

10,002 posts, read 9,503,096 times
Quote:

I agree, the only concern I would have is there are some parts of the bible that I do not think are appropriate for young children. As long as they were not reading those parts I cannot see a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies