Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/6210152/President-Barack-Obama-is-beginning-to-look-out-of-his-depth.html[/SIZE]

Seems like the media in countries other than ours aren't as forgiving of President Obama. In fact, they think he is looking weak and maybe weaker than Pres.Jimmy Carter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Well, you know, god forbid you have high goals. It's weird, most people view that as a plus. When you're president obama, it comes across as weak. Go figure.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well, you know, god forbid you have high goals. It's weird, most people view that as a plus. When you're president obama, it comes across as weak. Go figure.
I agree.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM

I guess the rest of the world has higher "goals" as you say or expectations for our President than we obviously do. Our media tells us things are going to get worse or, we are going to have a "jobless recovery" and we are supposed to be content with that? Americans are stupid or, at least in big time denial with the head-in -the- sand syndrome wanting to believe everything is fine)but they take their head out of the sand (you'd think) from time to time and they aren't THAT stupid. I'm wondering when they are finally going to get to the point where they are "mad as he%% and not going to take it anymore". I'm already past that point. When are others going to join me?

I want the irresponsible spending stopped; the bailouts ended once and for all; The Federal Government dismantled to a more managable size the way it was before 9/11; Our rights and freedoms fully restored - the harrassment of innocent Americans stopped ie the "no fly list" tossed out the window; THE PATRIOT ACT REPEALED. Anything close to health insurance mandate stopped dead in the water. Any mandatory vaccinations( and anyone who researches the ingredients would conclude they are all poisonous and do more harm than good) for animals or humans repealed and made strictly voluntary;the so called 'food safety bills" repealed that are really designed to force the small local farmers and organic farmers out of business and contaminate our food supply by requiring that more and more dangerous chemicals and genetic engineering be used in farming "for our safety"- HA! Getting rid of the IRS would be nice too since there isn't even a law on the books requiring income tax for workers. IRS agents who know this have stopped paying their income tax. Why shouldn't we also?

I'm sure I've missed some. Oh we need a law that restricts the FDA from harrassing the natural supplement industry. Actually we need to change what the FDA is tasked to do. Right now it's main objective is to support the food and drug industry and get their new products to market as fast" so naturally the results will be skewed in accordance to what the manufactuer wants the results to be. The FDA has nothing to do with protecting consumers.

Let's get rid of the FDA and instead have a Federal Consumer Protection AGency that all new pharmaceuticals or chemical based products must pass rigorous testing before the product can be put on the market. There could be a built in incentive to make the product safe by charging the mfger less money for the testing the safer the ingredients were. Knowing that, for a change the products really would have to be safe, we could return to a more wholesome healthful way of life with fewer and fewer toxins in our food. What would be so bad about that?

Last edited by emilybh; 09-22-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 12:01 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Some people want to live in a world that never did exist and never could. Through no fault of Barack Obama's, by the way.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I guess the rest of the world has higher "goals" as you say or expectations for our President than we obviously do. Our media tells us things are going to get worse or, we are going to have a "jobless recovery" and we are supposed to be content with that? Americans are stupid or, at least in big time denial with the head-in -the- sand syndrome wanting to believe everything is fine)but they take their head out of the sand (you'd think) from time to time and they aren't THAT stupid. I'm wondering when they are finally going to get to the point where they are "mad as he%% and not going to take it anymore". I'm already past that point. When are others going to join me?

I want the irresponsible spending stopped; the bailouts ended once and for all; The Federal Government dismantled to a more managable size the way it was before 9/11; Our rights and freedoms fully restored - the harrassment of innocent Americans stopped ie the "no fly list" tossed out the window; THE PATRIOT ACT REPEALED. Anything close to health insurance mandate stopped dead in the water. Any mandatory vaccinations( and anyone who researches the ingredients would conclude they are all poisonous and do more harm than good) for animals or humans repealed and made strictly voluntary;the so called 'food safety bills" repealed that are really designed to force the small local farmers and organic farmers out of business and contaminate our food supply by requiring that more and more dangerous chemicals and genetic engineering be used in farming "for our safety"- HA! Getting rid of the IRS would be nice too since there isn't even a law on the books requiring income tax for workers. IRS agents who know this have stopped paying their income tax. Why shouldn't we also?

I'm sure I've missed some. Oh we need a law that restricts the FDA from harrassing the natural supplement industry. Actually we need to change what the FDA is tasked to do. Right now it's main objective is to support the food and drug industry and get their new products to market as fast" so naturally the results will be skewed in accordance to what the manufactuer wants the results to be. The FDA has nothing to do with protecting consumers.

Let's get rid of the FDA and instead have a Federal Consumer Protection AGency that all new pharmaceuticals or chemical based products must pass rigorous testing before the product can be put on the market. There could be a built in incentive to make the product safe by charging the mfger less money for the testing the safer the ingredients were. Knowing that, for a change the products really would have to be safe, we could return to a more wholesome healthful way of life with fewer and fewer toxins in our food. What would be so bad about that?
It would lower health care costs. If that happens then the government no longer has a role in our "health."

Great post. I'd rep you more if I could.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Some people want to live in a world that never did exist and never could. Through no fault of Barack Obama's, by the way.
A world that never did exist is just right around the corner.

We need to be careful what we all wish for, as one day, as a result of our fiscal recklessness, we may indeed end up with a smaller government, or, in a worst case ... no government at all.

We can either do this the easy way, or the hard way, working toward the goal of having a smaller government, or waiting just a while longer and being forced into having a smaller government ... it doesn't matter ... we are going to end up with one, eventually ... whether we like it or not.

I would much rather "choose" to have a smaller government, than to be, for economic reasons, "forced" into having one.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Several aspects of what I mentioned existed in earlier times. Even back in the 1970's there was no health care crisis.Health insurance was desiged the way it should be today with a deductible that must be satisfied before any benefits are paid out and there was no such thing as a "co-pay plan". All co-pays for prescriptions and office visits should be stricken from policies as they don't protect the consumer at all.
All they do is generate an income stream for primary care doctors and encourage more use of prescription drugs.

Food was a lot more wholesome. The FDA hadn't started harrassing the natural supplement industry yet.

Laws that support the big multi-national corporations could just as easily unsupport them. Simply REPEAL them. NO MORE SUBSIDIES to BIG AGRA BIG MEDICA, BIG PHARMA etc. Doing that is stealing from the taxpayers and not giving them any say in where there money goes. Speaking as a business owner, HOW ABOUT NO MORE SUBSIDIES for business PERIOD? I'm managing without handouts. Why can't others?

Before the early 1900s there also was no Income Tax. We survived and thrived until then without it. We can again.

Barack Obama could help stop what is going on (the spending and bailouts etc and the weak foreign policy) rather than adding to it to make things worse --as evidently the rest of the world thinks he is doing.

There are many who voted for him who feel betrayed. He could start by fullfilling some campaign promises like bringing troops home and shelving "health care" for a while. He shouldn't even mention the word "health care" again until he's read the bill so he can start to understand why people think he has been lying about it. You'd think his Chief of Staff would have pointed that out to him by now. He isn't helping himself by continuing to make statements that have no basis in fact.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
My question is how, based on a single newspaper opin piece, a newspaper that has a history of being more critical of Obama than the average newspaper, the OP determines that that is a credible barometer for measuring world opinion.

Have you checked Le Figaro, the London Times, any news sources in Hong Kong, Greece or Australia? I have links to those, if you'd like.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
[SIZE=3]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/6210152/President-Barack-Obama-is-beginning-to-look-out-of-his-depth.html[/SIZE]

Seems like the media in countries other than ours aren't as forgiving of President Obama. In fact, they think he is looking weak and maybe weaker than Pres.Jimmy Carter.
What "media"? This screed from one well-known reactionary conservative news organization?

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies