Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I can tell you which country it isn't....
How about YOU or whoever made the sign speak English.

It is OUR country not ARE country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2009 View Post
What countries have the smartest people on average? I know this is a touchy subject but it's true that some places on earth have people that are just more capable than others.

What causes some countries to have more intelligent people on average than other countries?

The USA has a lot of smart people but it has many people from all over the world.
It is pretty much exactly as one would expect, with the Japs, Chinese, Germans and Dutch leading the pack. I don't think that those nations have supported the reproductive efforts of less intelligent multiple child families, thus maintaining the IQs of thier nations. It seems as though the US has made a concerted effort to "dumb down" the nation by it political policies. Soon, we will be like the movie "Idiocracy".

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/NationalIQs.aspx

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is pretty much exactly as one would expect, with the Japs, Chinese, Germans and Dutch leading the pack. I don't think that those nations have supported the reproductive efforts of less intelligent multiple child families, thus maintaining the IQs of thier nations. It seems as though the US has made a concerted effort to "dumb down" the nation by it political policies.

All of those countries have a substantially more developed welfare state than the U.S. has or ever has imagined having. Germany has had national health care for about the last 120 years.

One of them is ruled by the Communist Party, for cripe's sake.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
My theory - You are what you eat.

American kids eat a lot of McMad Cows. Hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, MSG, Aspartame, aluminum, mercury, fluoride, etc.

Oxford-bound boy genius is 'nothing special' in China (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-08/11/content_468190.htm - broken link)

The social pressure to succeed is enormous. The importance of education is drilled into children from birth and pupils frequently spent up to 14 hours a day studying.

Here's your answer as to why he is so successful. Find an American student that puts in this amount of time on studying and you'll find an American prodigy. It is not brain science people.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
The Japanese are the smartest.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Obviously the Asians are smarter. Think about the major wars the US has ever fought against Asians. In WW2, the US pretty much defeated the Germans by conventional warfare. The Pacific front was a different story. It took us dropping those A bombs on Japan before the latter actually surrendered. The Korean war was a stalemate. And I don't have to elaborate on how we got our a$$e$ handed to us by the Vietnamese during the Vietnam War.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
Every race on the planet made contributions toward the technological and scientific advances of mankind. No race is any smarter, intelligent or superior to any other.

People should be judged on an individual basis, not as a entire race or group.

Last edited by dorado0359; 09-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
It's very simple. It's GENES! Asians, Jews, and Germans on average are the smartest people.
Some things in the system turn genes on, while other things turn them off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjb3nh9BxOE&feature=fvw

Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
According to Glenn Back, Rush Limbaugh and FoxNews half the population are idiots and the other half are patriotic geniuses.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Every race on the planet made contributions toward the technological and scientific advances of mankind. No race is any smarter, intelligent or superior to any other.

People should be judged on an individual basis, not as a entire race or group.

dorado, i think you're right, but where's the fun in judging only individuals??? You cannot have a good argument unless you lump everyone into one shoe size fits all sort of category lol. It is the only way to get people talking about such issues. I get your point, but judging individuals takes way tooo much time, it is much easier to point out the best and worst of each group and use that as the defining theory on how/why they all act like they do or can do what they do......why bother pointing out the fact that there are 1 billion Asian and only maybe at best .0005 of them do well in Math enough so, that they test on genious level. It is like saying all black guys can play basketball well and are in the NBA even though the 300-400 players in the NBA represent .0005% of the African-American population.

Fact of the matter smart people in general are an extremely small portion of the general populace of any culture, race, ethnicity, country, and the list goes on. When you ask i question about smarter than what you're really asking is "Are my dumber people more dumb, equally as dumb, or less dumb than your people. The article was great, because it explained why those in Bejing do better. Hell, if i put 14 hours into studying math and science a day from the time i was 5 until i was 15 i'm sure my test scores would have been in the top 98% tile of the world. I only put in a quarter of that i didn't do too bad in math.

Think about who is going to be better in math and science

Kid A who puts in 365 days * 10 years 3650 days worth of 14 hour study days ...i think it amounts to (where is my asian friend when i need him for math doh!) 51,1000 hours worth of studying math and science

Vs

Kid B who puts in 365 * 10 years 3,650 but only studies an average of 1-2 hours a day.....(need my asian friend to help me do the math), but i think it is 5475 hours worth of studying math and science

I mean the proof is in the pudding.....the more you do something the better you are at it...thus this small group of asian kids in bejing spend their entire young lives doing math all day every day, so naturally when compared to individuals that don't do that all day every day they are far surperior ....

(I would actually go out on a limb and say it is more insulting to those individual children relating all of their academic success to their culture then to their own personal drive, determination, and willingness to sacrafice so many hours in the pursuit of excellence in math and science, but that is just me, i would much prefer to point out individuals that go above and beyond then an entire group strikes)

If the article stated they only studied for 30 minutes a day and scored in those ranges then i'd be super impressed

Final thought the only way to truly measure intelligence or educational aptitude is to have all students perform at the same level, give the same amount of effort, for the same amount of time, and for the same numbers of years, on the same subjects. Until you can create a test that accepts all of these individual variables any gross generalization of intelligence for any group is just not based in fact! .....Trying to create test to judge people (makes a seriousl vast assumption everyone puts in the same effort and time to learn various subjects and we all know that is not true)

Last edited by dorock99; 09-23-2009 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies