Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Were you there when this "attack" took place? Didn't think so. So stop acting like you know exactly what transpired that caused the mailman to pepper the dog.

Do you know the OP's mailman? How do you know if he speaks English?

You're talking out of your piehole and trying to give someone a lecture without knowing a single fact of the matter at hand.
They said "I was about to put the lead on him"
That's all that needs to be said. A responsible owner would already have had the leash on the dog prior to leaving the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm a foreigner my self and it is very distrubing to me that a person can be working for the government run postal service as a mailman. Where is "service" if the mail person can't even communicate with his customers!

I would file a complain. If he came here and became a citizen shouldn't he have to understand some English to pass the test...or is he illegal with maybe fake papers?

What he did to your paralized dog is even more upsetting and mostly because of the language barrier. I understand that mail workers don't like dogs to much and often had bad experiences but with some communication this could have prevented. I feel so sorry for your dog...Next time if I was you, I would stand there prepared with pepper spray my self..., just joking..., but I would report him and file a complain about the wrongly delivered mail and not being able to communicate with the person due to him not speaking one word of English...ask for a super visor.
There is no test to get a Green Card if I remember correctly.

The English test for citizenship is a joke. You have to read a single sentence and then write down a single sentence as dictated by the officer. I do not know to what extent the officer can "help" the applicant as I was not in that situation.

At the oath ceremony you have to fill in a form basically stating that your situation has not changed since the interview. The form is in English. At the oath ceremony I attended, there was one older woman who could not complete the form as she did not understand English. A (Spanish) translator was requested from the other participants and that person helped her complete the form.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
The guy should be fired,and who knows how he got hired in the first place...

Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Ok I don't think the issues is the dog (glad they are ok) the issues is that how on earth can anyone that does not speak a word of English even get a job with the PO. How the hell did they go through the interview? Sad very sad. I have no issue with people coming here LEGALLY for a better life but they should have to learn English.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
The guy should be fired,and who knows how he got hired in the first place...
I wonder this as well. I've applied for many jobs over the last several years and I know it's hard right now, and harder for someone over 50 who hasn't worked in awhile. But I am very professional, a strong communicator, have a good work ethic, nice appearance, etc. and can't catch a break. It pains me so much to be out and about seeing people being so terrible at the jobs they are performing, so clueless about the products and services they are supposed to be representing. When I deal with someone who is good at their job it's so refreshing and inspiring.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times
Sorry about your pup getting sprayed.

Given the situation, the Mailman may have conveniently "forgotten" his English skills (as has been known to happen)
I've had my own issues w/the USPS and found them to extremely incompetent in any language.
Best of luck.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Where I used to live, I had mail delivery problems from 2000 through 2005 (when I moved). They assigned a guy to the route, and when he first took over, dozens of pieces of mail went missing, including my property tax bill, water bills, bank statements, etc. Then when he got the hang of it, _most_ of my mail got delivered, but things were still sloppy. Then he developed knee problems and had a lot of absenteeism. They'd assign a different substitute carrier to the route every day and more of my mail would be lost. I even had to submit my online change-of-address form twice when I was preparing to move away, because the confirmation letter didn't get delivered the first time.

I called the PO numerous times to complain. There was a route supervisor that I'd talk to and his attitude was obviously that he just didn't give a sh*t. But sometimes after I'd complain things would improve for a while, but then my mail would be misdelivered again. It was an on again, off again problem for 5 years.

My advice to the OP is to rent a PO box and have all of your important stuff sent there. That's what I should have done, but my cheap husband objected. It would saved a lot of trouble and aggravation and neighbors getting to read my private and personal mail, too, probably.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
It seems strange that a letter carrier would be unable to speak English, where I live it is very hard to get a job carrying the mail (the weather is great here, so it's a cushy job) and all of our mailmen (10 miles from Tijuana) not only speak English, but are generally excellent conversationalists.

You obviously are an irresponsible dog owner, as your dog would have never been in that dangerous position had it either been properly leashed or safely indoors. Mailmen are constantly in danger because of irresponsible dog owners like you and he cannot be blamed for being scared when a rabid dog starts threatening (barking or lunging towards) him. My dog is never in danger of being maced by our mailman because he's ALWAYS leashed when outside and he's kept inside when I am unable to supervise his activities.

Did the mailman say "no speaki de english" or "herro, I dontu speaku engrish"? Or did you just assume he didn't speak English because your dog frightened him?
Ok, Idk why you seem to want to attack my actions so quickly but I will attempt to explain myself better, in case the post was confusing. I was in the fenced in backyard w/ my dog who had her collar on, I was about to put on the lead eventhough the walk to the front of the house is very small. The dog walked a few feet, I bent down(not easy as I am recovering from a fractured spine & 5 herniated disks myself) to attatch said leash, Mailman walks around the corner, right in front of us. The dog is disabled and COULDN'T charge him but she did bark. She DID NOT bare teeth or growl. I immediately went to grab her but he started immediately screaming & flailing around(which would have caused most dogs to attack), then he pepper sprayed her. Right before this happened I tried to tell him the dog was crippled & harmless a would ONLY bark. I remained calm as my handicaped dog started to gag. I'm out of room, will continue below!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,483 times
The bigger question is can he READ English?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
I calmly asked the Mailman what he sprayed her with, AND THIS IS HOW I KNOW HE DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH: he cupped his ears, leaned foreward, and said "no speak" and then shrugged his shoulders. All of us on the block have complained but nothing seems to change. What really gets to me is my ex's father is a Mailman and he told us that they now only hire minorities and that if you are a white male, you can forget about getting a job as a Letter Carrier, at least in this area. I am just repeating what I was told my someone who has worked down here as a Mailman for 35+ yrs, please do not castigate me as a racist. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to read and reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies