Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,702,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I fail to see any similarity. Rome was Rome, we are not.
Why not take each key word out of each point he made and Google them and read what comes up?

“All left Rome open to outside invaders” = borrowing money from people that we can't trust or that have interests that run counter to our own.

“Decline in Morals and Values” = Greed is a virtue on wall street.

“Public Health” = diabetic and obesity are chronic we have health issues that are ruining America's health.

“Political Corruption” = bailing out the criminals that ruined the economy.

“Unemployment” = Out sourcing to China = slave labor

“Inflation” = poor monetary policies. The last 30 years have been an economic disaster.

“Urban decay” = The gap between the rich and the poor is widening.

“Inferior Technology” = we have stopped making thing in the US. WE have lost the technology to build our own stuff.

“Military Spending” = what are we spending for being in Iraq and what are we getting out of it?

“THE FINAL BLOWS” = If we don't change what we are doing we are going the way of the Roman Empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

638 posts, read 926,604 times
Um, Just a few thoughts.

Thought One.

You cited a rise in crime within the empire and then went on to cite the number of prostitutes. I’m sorry but prostitution was never illegal within the Roman empire. In fact archaeological evidence from Pompeii suggests that prostitutes were a part of everyday life. They were taxed and operated brothels openly on prominent streets throughout the city.

Thought Two.

Lead pipes were the least of Roman issues. Have you ever heard of lead acetate? Romans regularly drank copious amounts of wine boiled in lead pots. The lead would leach out and combine in a chemical process that produced a sugary tasting beverage. Additionally lead pipes were used within the Roman empire for many generations. After all the word for lead and plumbing is one and the same in Latin : plumbum.

Thought Three.

Some historians theorize that Rome fell due to the absorption of Roman technologies and society by outside cultures. Some state that this absorption had more to do with their fall than an overextension of their boundaries.

Final Thought.

As to urban decay. One has to be careful in make assertions as to urban decay within the later Roman empire. There is evidence that the average citizens of Rome lived in absolute squalor for hundreds of years. According to the Roman Poet Juvenal (who died in 131) conditions for the everyday citizen were deplorable. There is little evidence that this trend accelerated towards the end but that it was only a part of the daily workings of Rome. One must remember that Rome was an agrarian society. As such opportunities for bettering one’s condition outside joining the military were limited. As such food distribution to these poor and bathing facilities, essentially public subsidies of their time were a normal part of life. Without such the city of Rome with its nearly one million citizens would have collapsed long before. The very wealthy made up only a small percentage of Rome’s population but lived in homes that took up nearly a third of available land. As such the conditions for a majority of Romans must have been akin to European cities during the Elizabethan era. Dirty, crowded and smelly.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM

4,790 posts, read 5,878,339 times
Nero can play a sad guitar

Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,134,301 times
America will eat itself.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,200,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Spoiler
Some of that is wrong. The Roman ENpire went Christian well before it fell. The games in the Colsseum (sp) were banned, Pagan types were prosecuted, etc. Rome's strongest decline happened on the Christian watch.
But Rome was a decadent place long long before it fell.

That said there are alot of problems with America and no country lasts forever. But fundamentalists not respecting individual liberties and freedoms in the name of God is going to be part of the downfall of this country.
You could probly say the same for progressives, in the name of vanity or do-gooderasty or self-absorbtionism... whatever.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 AM

348 posts, read 705,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I fail to see any similarity. Rome was Rome, we are not.
Similarty 1 Gays.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
Look at the countries i the western world we will see most of western europe go teh way of greece long before the USA. There outlook for growth is the worse to 2040 of any major area of the world in economist studies on growth. Estimated at 1.5% and the US at 3.5% average. They hav alot fo p[roblems consuming so much of their GDP for government.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM

47 posts, read 159,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Look at the countries i the western world we will see most of western europe go teh way of greece long before the USA. There outlook for growth is the worse to 2040 of any major area of the world in economist studies on growth. Estimated at 1.5% and the US at 3.5% average. They hav alot fo p[roblems consuming so much of their GDP for government.
I'll agree, only that is of small consolense(-sp) that the US average growth is only 3.5%.

However I still see a large population moving to the cities/urban areas as farming and manufacturing is closing down for what ever reason (cough). Unfortunately the jobs in those urban areas are also drying up, for whatever reason (cough, cough).

As we become less and less self sufficient, and more and more dependent on other countries, we must have more money to buy such items/service because we have nothing of value to trade. But where is the money to come from if we have nothing to offer?

DEBT.

AND, we must secure our sources, right? We must ensure the other countries that provide us with our items/services are kept viable and must not fall or we will fall, hence we must engage in military action to protect them (our interests). It cannot last.

Unfortunately the US is an island, save Canada and Mexico, which means our supplies need to cross oceans to get to us. I seriously doubt there will be any 'Berlin Airlifts" to (the) US when the time comes and we will have no adjacent countries worth invading to replace our needs once we're kicked out of the rest of the world.

I use to say, not in my lifetime, now I am not so sure, particularly when I read about all those websites about stockpiling weapons for 'the day'. I don't agree with them, but they are growing exponentially to a point that they just can't be ignored any longer.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM

418 posts, read 486,028 times
Too much spin. People need to leave their ideologies at home when they look at history. You must become a political atheist if you want to derive any meaningful information from history.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Not that I am in any way disparaging the point of the OP, but I just found this thread amusing. I can remember my mother preaching in panic that we were going the way of the Roman Empire when I was a little kid back in the mid-1960's.

I bet people in every generation in every civilization since the actual fall of the Roman Empire has made this statement.

Each generation re-discovers these concepts for themselves, and there's really nothing new under the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies