Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

If climate change prevention in and of itself is not enough motivation, most of the practical ways suggested to help combat global warming and conserve energy are GOOD for the United States. Less fossil fuel dependency, greater fuel and energy efficient building standards, cars, and appliances mean greater SAVINGS for the consumer, and SECURITY from problems associated with associating with "oily" nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How do you suggest we control our impact? Go back to living in caves?
I think going back to caves might be a little extreme, don't you?

There are probably a range of things we can do. From personally looking at how we waste things, to as a society trying to find more efficient ways to utilize our resources.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think going back to caves might be a little extreme, don't you?

There are probably a range of things we can do. From personally looking at how we waste things, to as a society trying to find more efficient ways to utilize our resources.
Can you post some suggestions?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Can you post some suggestions?
To what purpose?

How would my suggestions further this discussion?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
How do you suggest we control our impact? Go back to living in caves?
The Germans are the biggest users of automotive transportation in Western Europe, yet they consumer on a per capita basis about 1/4 of the fuel that we do. A plug in hybrid vehicle when used as a commuter car will get ~100 mpg. Better yet people can use mass transit. Where that doesn't exist, insist that politicians build it.

I've contracted in my area to get my electricity from a wind resource. That has essentially a zero carbon footprint and contrary to what the alarmists will tell you I actually saved money this summer because it was cheaper than the alternative.

Most homes would benefit from an energy tune up. If your refrigerator is 10 years old or greater a new one will pay for itself over the life of the unit. Insulate, weatherize, and consider new energy efficient windows.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
To what purpose?

How would my suggestions further this discussion?
I mean suggestions on how to "stop" climate change.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The Germans are the biggest users of automotive transportation in Western Europe, yet they consumer on a per capita basis about 1/4 of the fuel that we do. A plug in hybrid vehicle when used as a commuter car will get ~100 mpg. Better yet people can use mass transit. Where that doesn't exist, insist that politicians build it.

I've contracted in my area to get my electricity from a wind resource. That has essentially a zero carbon footprint and contrary to what the alarmists will tell you I actually saved money this summer because it was cheaper than the alternative.

Most homes would benefit from an energy tune up. If your refrigerator is 10 years old or greater a new one will pay for itself over the life of the unit. Insulate, weatherize, and consider new energy efficient windows.
Can you post data what shows that doing all of the above would in any way "prevent" climate change?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Can you post data what shows that doing all of the above would in any way "prevent" climate change?
It won't prevent the climate form changing. What we are trying to arrest is anthropogenic global warming. It will help slow the rate that warming occurs.

(Thanks for trying to be cute.)

Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It won't prevent the climate form changing. What we are trying to arrest is anthropogenic global warming. It will help slow the rate that warming occurs.

(Thanks for trying to be cute.)
Then I guess we have been successful because the most recent "global warming" peaked in 1998.

And I wasn't trying to be cute. I would like to know how we can control or prevent "global warming." A large part of warming and cooling is due to the sun. What should we do to prevent warming... push the sun away from the earth by a few million miles? (Now I am trying to be cute!)

Old 09-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I mean suggestions on how to "stop" climate change.
I have no suggestions on how to "stop" climate change.

I don't think we can "stop" climate change.

I think we can choose to be re-active when climate change happens, or we can be pro-active and try to anticipate what we will have to do to meet the challenges that climate change will entail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies