Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you already know who did it and what their party affiliation is ?
Please post the link.
where were you when that pro-life protester was murdered and a bunch of people immediately started decrying the evil of the pro choice movement, and the media's "downplaying" of a story that was a few hours old?

at least most people in this thread are couching their statements in "if" phrases. and that is what people should be doing, until the facts are known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn
If the people of a particular state or area don't want to be counted, then why not just use the old numbers from the 2000 Census, with all the implications for federal funding and Congressional district apportionments which that would entail? Murdering a Census worker seems like a pretty clear statement that the people of that particular area would rather not be included in the tally. So be it.
so you're basically saying that the government should cave in to terrorism? nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
If that were the case he likely would have been shot, whoever did this intended to make a statement imo.
The people in the hills down there have done such things before, they don't like the feds getting in their business, whether it's over moonshining, drugs, guns...

Old 09-24-2009, 07:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
This is just slightly off topic. Please indulge me. Why are they going door to door taking the census in September 2009? I thought the census was in the Spring of 2010 (around April Fool's day).

Also, I thought the census was mailed. They only go door to door (in 2010) if the census isn't returned. In other words, no one will knock on your door if you fill it out and send it in.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i don't know, but my stepsister was doing work for the census in late spring/early summer.

and is the mailing before visiting a new thing? cause i remember someone coming to my house last time, and we never received anything in the mail.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is just slightly off topic. Please indulge me. Why are they going door to door taking the census in September 2009? I thought the census was in the Spring of 2010 (around April Fool's day).

Also, I thought the census was mailed. They only go door to door (in 2010) if the census isn't returned. In other words, no one will knock on your door if you fill it out and send it in.
IMHO this whole thing is going to be a personal matter. The blogoshpere is having a blast from the political side...but I'll bet this is sordid or a suicide.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
IMHO this whole thing is going to be a personal matter. The blogoshpere is having a blast from the political side...but I'll bet this is sordid or a suicide.
I highly doubt suicide given the circumstances and some of what I've read on various articles about the background of the guy. I'm still betting he found someone's drug operation or such...

Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
This will be interesting. The left doesn't like the census because they feel it doesn't help help them nearly enough, illegals absolutely hate it because it threatens them, and the right doesn't like it because they feel its open to corruption.
The guy may have stumbled on a meth lab operation, an illegal alien house, a crack house, a brothel, some random psycho or got targeted for something else. But lets hope justice is done and pray for his family.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:03 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Read the link posted by Visvaldis - on page three of that link, you will come across this:
Quote:
The Census Bureau has yet to begin door-to-door canvassing for the 2010 head count, but it has thousands of field workers doing smaller surveys on various demographic topics on behalf of federal agencies. Next year, the Census Bureau will dispatch up to 1.2 million temporary employees to locate hard-to-find residents.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I guarantee that the right-wing media (ABC, CBS, Fox, Foxnews) won't talk about this for more than 2 days.
There you go again, ABC and CBS right wing? Where are you getting this??? I might add, FOX and Foxnews channel are owned by the same company, pretty much the same...

Nita

Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't like some of the things the census is up to but none of it justifies murdering someone like this.

I think until the investigation is complete people shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. For all we know, he was the unfortunate person to stumble across a meth operation or moonshining operation or something. We are talking about an area where that is a problem. His body was found in a remote area (national forest), the type of area drug operations are working out of. Some marijuana patches have even been found in the national forest here in Vermont, another reason I carry a gun everytime I'm out there.
I agree, I know a few things they have done that really makes me not trust anything the census says or does, but no one should get killed because of this. Now let's see what really turns up? I think too many are assuming things that have no basis at this time.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies