Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,689,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Christians of course. The first commandment is "I Am The Lord Thy God. Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me." After that, you have no choice but to convert or kill.

It's always been an enigma with me that every religion preaches tolerance and compassion but these attributes are generally ignored by all religous followers of any stripe.
Book, chapter and verse please?

You must be thinking of Muhammad, because Jesus commands his followers to love, pray for and bless your enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Christians of course. The first commandment is "I Am The Lord Thy God. Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me." After that, you have no choice but to convert or kill.

It's always been an enigma with me that every religion preaches tolerance and compassion but these attributes are generally ignored by all religous followers of any stripe.

Christianity teaches anything but unconditional tolerance. Tolerance of all things leads to belief in nothing.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,545,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Humanism
All right. I am curious. How is Humanism the religion that killed the most people?

And as for my opinion, the religion that killed the most people..hmm. For sure Christianity and Islam.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,358,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Christianity teaches anything but unconditional tolerance. Tolerance of all things leads to belief in nothing.
So then, what would you do with people who act in ways you see as intolerable and will not change their ways?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,728,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Surely the most institutionalized killing occurred under the Aztecs and surrounding peoples. The Sun needed blood sacrifice to keep it moving. The Aztecs and their neighbours would fight "flower wars" who's sole purpose was to capture victims for sacrifice and for social advancement (the more captives you caught the better).
But the Aztecs only lasted for 150 years....their methodology may have been more gruesome, but the numbers don't compare.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
So then, what would you do with people who act in ways you see as intolerable and will not change their ways?
Pray for them as I'm commanded; how 'bout you?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,134,696 times
Quote:
Jesus commands his followers to love, pray for and bless your enemies.
So herein lies the confusion....no one is saying that most religions, including Christianity, don't officially preach love and tolerance. The problem is that most people who practice these religions do not follow the teachings, and instead feel compelled to convert others or make them pay the consequences, which have many times been violent.

Some religions officially have also killed people, and the Spanish Inquisition is a good example of officially sanctioned torture and violence in the name of the Catholic Church, and many Imams have officially sanctioned killing or death in the name of Allah. For the most part though, it's been individuals, groups, and countries killing in the name of their religion.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,358,700 times
Quote:
Pray for them as I'm commanded; how 'bout you?
I try to act in an exemplary manner and attempt to allow my actions to speak for me. I am not always successful, but to quote Confucius "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."

Old 09-23-2009, 08:15 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,074,441 times
Christianity and Islam both preach that their beliefs are the one and only true beliefs. And they preach that non-believers must be converted. And those who do not accept their religions will suffer eternal torment. And they both encourage aggressive expansionism of their religions.

Love and tolerance? Not at all. Only on a very superficial level.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM

487 posts, read 634,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's easily Christianity. Whether you are talking about the Crusades or the Nazis during WWII, more people have killed in the name of Christianity than any other faith. I'm not judging Christianity but just pointing out a fact. Christianity has also contributed the most charity to the world as well. Without Christian principles, the Western World would not be the success it is today. It goes both ways
Hitler HATED Christianity. He hated it for its empathy and egalitarianism. His own SS were waging a religious war by desecrating churches because Hitler wanted to replace Christianity with the old Germanic pagan religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies