Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Try ensure or any other diet suppliment.
I believe Boost is what you're thinking of, but maybe Ensure. It's expensive, but then so are McDonald meals.

I have a thyroid condition, that for some people a screwed up thyroid gland can metabolize to fat, for some, they loose weight even when they sleep. I did some research and went well isn't that just peachy... I'm the, incredible shrinking woman. (lily tomlin in the movie)

I went looking on the Internet once for high fat, high protein diets, the searches brought up...the opposite.

Oh well...such is life.

By the way, there's a country, I want to say New Zealand, something took me to one of their newspapers. A side article...they are taxing the fast food restaurant meals upwards to $4.00, so as to detour the over eaters. Get this, it is because of Americas fight on obesity and they just think it is a good idea.

I'm thinking well that's just great, ha...I can hear their citizens now, gee thanks America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I believe Boost is what you're thinking of, but maybe Ensure. It's expensive, but then so are McDonald meals.

I have a thyroid condition, that for some people a screwed up thyroid gland can metabolize to fat, for some, they loose weight even when they sleep. I did some research and went well isn't that just peachy... I'm the, incredible shrinking woman. (lily tomlin in the movie)

I went looking on the Internet once for high fat, high protein diets, the searches brought up...the opposite.

Oh well...such is life.

By the way, there's a country, I want to say New Zealand, something took me to one of their newspapers. A side article...they are taxing the fast food restaurant meals upwards to $4.00, so as to detour the over eaters. Get this, it is because of Americas fight on obesity and they just think it is a good idea.

I'm thinking well that's just great, ha...I can hear their citizens now, gee thanks America.
Ensure/Boost six of one half dozen of the other. Practically the same.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:

Oh well...such is life.

I've found the protein shakes etc from supplement stores are the best for healthy weight gain, tho I do like Ensure after I've thrown them in the freezer for a while LOL

Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Ensure/Boost six of one half dozen of the other. Practically the same.
I had an elderly neighbor that I would go to the store for and she would have me pick her up some Ensure. I thought it was for old people.

I've read the Boost drink calories intake, but not the Ensure. So...they're the same.

I'm leaning towards your advice on this...

Thanks 99

PS: I'm old, but not that old, well...no.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 11-07-2010 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: ps

Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I've found the protein shakes etc from supplement stores are the best for healthy weight gain, tho I do like Ensure after I've thrown them in the freezer for a while LOL
Thanks for the tip.

If you only knew how many hours I have spent searching for high calorie foods and to try and find which ones, (not sweets, no cakes, no pies), just good food and I should have posted here instead.

Thank you....!

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 11-07-2010 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: moved )

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

If you only knew how many hours I have spent searching for high calorie foods and to try and find which ones, (not sweets, no cakes, no pies), just good food and I should have posted here instead.

Thank you....!
If you have Super Supplements stores in Tx, they have a pretty good variety (taste wise) or they have an online store.

A body builder at my gym put me onto them.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
If you have Super Supplements stores in Tx, they have a pretty good variety (taste wise) or they have an online store.

A body builder at my gym put me onto them.
Thanks. See I was just thinking, what else besides Ensure. A steady diet is a steady, boring...
I live in Longview (i don't mind saying) and even though the town has grown, this isn't Dallas. (not by a long shot) But there is a mall and I think I saw a vitamin store there.

Please you can pm me if you have any other ideas. I'm open, because...I have clothes that I can not wear. (I'll leave it there, cause some people do not understand, this, is a problem that can cause me heart failure)

Thanks again...

You & sickofnyc99, both have been the best.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
They're called nanny laws. Don't you just love 'em?
You know.... I've spent most of my adult life living in a major metropolitan area and moved to the country a few years ago. Living in the country has given me a new perspective on a lot of things. I like where I live now and there are fewer laws but I can tell you that I've gained a new respect for many of the laws that exist in the city.

Back to the subject at hand,....

In reality, smokers have brought these laws upon themselves because they demand their "right" to smoke in public places -- even though the general public has made it clear that it's a public nuisance.

Sometimes, laws are the only way to get people to respect the rights of other people.

BTW - I wish you well with gaining weight. Isn't your doctor treating your thyroid condition?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
I don't agree with smoking either. That being said the guy had no right to do that to your daughter. She was in her own car smoking so she was the only one breathing that nasty air. It wasn't affecting that guy and he was a complete jerk to do that to her. However, had she been smoking around me in such a way that she was blowing smoke in my area I would have cursed her out too. In the meantime try and encurage her to quit.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
You know.... I've spent most of my adult life living in a major metropolitan area and moved to the country a few years ago. Living in the country has given me a new perspective on a lot of things. I like where I live now and there are fewer laws but I can tell you that I've gained a new respect for many of the laws that exist in the city.

Back to the subject at hand,....

In reality, smokers have brought these laws upon themselves because they demand their "right" to smoke in public places -- even though the general public has made it clear that it's a public nuisance.

Sometimes, laws are the only way to get people to respect the rights of other people.

BTW - I wish you well with gaining weight. Isn't your doctor treating your thyroid condition?
Perhaps you are finding the country folks more, spirited, than the folks in the cities. I don't think country folks like to be told, what they can do, when they can do it, and who they can do it with. (nanny laws)

I look at smoking and I look at drinking. The right to drink in public places no one thinks of that, when that one that has had one to many slips on out, gets in a car and kills some one or themselves on their drive home. Talk about a public nuisance. A person can drink all they want in public, just don't light that cigarette while you do it. (smoke Essys (sp) the way of the future)

Thank you for your well wish. I have been receiving thyroid supplements for many years. It isn't only until resent that the developments stemming from my lack of knowledge of the condition, that I have had certain problems in relation. In other words, I did not know what would happen if I stopped taking the pill. oops. Now armed with knowledge that I had to obtain myself from my own curiosities, most health journals printed out of Canada are the ones I found helpful, I still have a depleted appetite and I'm on the run allot.

Thyroid can work in the direction of weight gain or loss. So when I see the obesity concerns, I see more than what the average person sees, within our kids and adults. The health of their metabolism may be something greater than, eating too much or high calorie foods. Thyroid is just one of what may be many reasons, behind over weight people and what the laymen person would think.

Makes me wonder why more doctors are not speaking out. Yet, given to my situation where they just treat what is in front of them and not address surrounding problems that can occur, well then I understand. (btw, 2 doctors out of the five or six that I have seen over the course of the last 30 years, do understand and do address the additional problems)

My mother had diabetes, she too had to go to the library and check out books to find out what her doctors were not tell her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies