Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I have a hard time believing this story...

In any case, both sides of the aisle have their rude people. It's not like rudeness is endemic to Conservatives or Liberals.

It's human nature to some degree to hate. There are a few good books on the psychology of hate. It's pretty interesting.

I learned my manners at home, not from Sunday School. I know I lose my manners from time and time and most of the time the other person deserved it. I don't have a lot of patience for stupidity or someone wasting my time.
This wasn't a political post, pointing a finger at one group or one party. And this certainly didn't start under Obama. Smokers and the obese have turned into targets. It's now okay for some jacka** in a car to yell rude remarks at my daughter. It's now okay to make incredibly rude remarks to and about fat people, witness some of the remarks on threads on C-D.

Elementary schools are now tracking "fat" kids, sending notes home to parents. Whether you think that's a good idea or not, it stigmatizes children very early in life. This is dangerous stuff. And it encourages people to feel free to vent on other people.

All the anti-smoking laws and advertising has also created an intolerance to smokers. Again, whether you think its a good idea or not, where do people get off yelling at other people over certain behaviors? Where do you draw the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This wasn't a political post, pointing a finger at one group or one party. And this certainly didn't start under Obama. Smokers and the obese have turned into targets. It's now okay for some jacka** in a car to yell rude remarks at my daughter. It's now okay to make incredibly rude remarks to and about fat people, witness some of the remarks on threads on C-D.

Elementary schools are now tracking "fat" kids, sending notes home to parents. Whether you think that's a good idea or not, it stigmatizes children very early in life. This is dangerous stuff. And it encourages people to feel free to vent on other people.

All the anti-smoking laws and advertising has also created an intolerance to smokers. Again, whether you think its a good idea or not, where do people get off yelling at other people over certain behaviors? Where do you draw the line?
I believe you, why would you make up such a story? If you did, shame on you. You are right, you didn't side with left or right, just told your story and yes, the public has lost all respect for others. It is their way or no way.

Nita

Old 09-24-2009, 08:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Yesterday my daughter was sitting in her car at a red light smoking a cigarette, when a Prius pulled up next to her and the driver gestured her to roll down her window. She thought he wanted directions, but instead he started cursing her, calling her every name in the book, telling her she was a filthy b**ch for smoking and telling her she was killing the world...and on and on.

She was shocked. She rolled the window up as the light turned, but he followed her, honking his horn. She pulled over and he drove dangerously close, almost side-swiping her, giving her the finger as he went by. She came home in tears, and my wife told her to call the police, but she hadn't gotten a license number.

Maybe this guy was just some misanthrope who likes to pick on young women, but I don't think so. Facebook has an I Hate Smokers page, and if you type I Hate Smokers into Google it returns 1.2 million hits. Check out this charming posting JustRage: I hate smokers.

I've all ready posted about society's current obsession and hatred of the obese, just check out all the newer threads in C-D going on, but I didn't realize we were also now allowed to hate smokers. What is it about us that we need a target, we need someone to hate?

What is equally disturbing is how much the government is involved, at all levels, federal and state. A seemingly endless number of agencies run anti-smoking ads, demonizing the smoker the way the media goes after the obese.

And now it's gotten to the point where some jackass in a car can yell at my daughter. I don't smoke, and I wish she would quit, but I also don't curse her out, and I'm amazed that some stranger feels perfectly free to do so. But IMO opinion our government is ok with this, and it's a scary day when we are allowed to demonize whole groups of people.

I'm not talking about the human cost of smoking, the damages, on and on. Everyone knows it. But there is an incivility in tone in society lately...it's ok to curse smokers, it's ok to hate fat people. Our Sunday school manners have gone out the window. But it's a bad precedent, because who is next?

if the guy hates smokers that much, then maybe he should do the world a favor a put a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger.
his kind of hate just goes to show you that he came from the lower end of the gene pool.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Personally, as long as smoking does not occur in public I'm fine (and I do smoke sometimes, I never do smoke near large crowds of non-smokers).

As for obese people, we should encourage healthy eating in schools. We should encourage parents to know what is good to feed their kids and what is not. We should have rules that promote healthier eating options in our nation fast food industry. This is not a bad thing. We need more PE in schools. Obese people do cost our nation BILLIONS of dollars. Obesity is a key factor in health care costs. With that said, we shouldn't stigmatize the obese or make them feel worthless. Sometimes, some people are larger and healthier. We need to realize that this occurs a lot as well.

I guess the it all boils down to the fact that your liberties end at the tip of my nose (so on and so forth).

Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
I hate smoking, and overeating, but I certainly do not hate those who do. My own sons smoke, and have had a terrible time trying to quit. It is very sad what our society has turned into. I do not understand the anger that is raging in people these days.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Yesterday my daughter was sitting in her car at a red light smoking a cigarette, when a Prius pulled up next to her and the driver gestured her to roll down her window. She thought he wanted directions, but instead he started cursing her, calling her every name in the book, telling her she was a filthy b**ch for smoking and telling her she was killing the world...and on and on.

She was shocked. She rolled the window up as the light turned, but he followed her, honking his horn. She pulled over and he drove dangerously close, almost side-swiping her, giving her the finger as he went by. She came home in tears, and my wife told her to call the police, but she hadn't gotten a license number.

Maybe this guy was just some misanthrope who likes to pick on young women, but I don't think so. Facebook has an I Hate Smokers page, and if you type I Hate Smokers into Google it returns 1.2 million hits. Check out this charming posting JustRage: I hate smokers.

I've all ready posted about society's current obsession and hatred of the obese, just check out all the newer threads in C-D going on, but I didn't realize we were also now allowed to hate smokers. What is it about us that we need a target, we need someone to hate?

What is equally disturbing is how much the government is involved, at all levels, federal and state. A seemingly endless number of agencies run anti-smoking ads, demonizing the smoker the way the media goes after the obese.

And now it's gotten to the point where some jackass in a car can yell at my daughter. I don't smoke, and I wish she would quit, but I also don't curse her out, and I'm amazed that some stranger feels perfectly free to do so. But IMO opinion our government is ok with this, and it's a scary day when we are allowed to demonize whole groups of people.

I'm not talking about the human cost of smoking, the damages, on and on. Everyone knows it. But there is an incivility in tone in society lately...it's ok to curse smokers, it's ok to hate fat people. Our Sunday school manners have gone out the window. But it's a bad precedent, because who is next?

I had something very similar happen to me recently. Now I am old enough to have been the grandmother of the punks that harrassed me....sitting in my own car, not bothering anyone else. I know smoking isn't good for me but this type of unleashed incivility is not good for any of us. It is as though these people have so much hate bottled up inside of them and now they feel they have been given community permission to unleash it on smokers and those who are overweight. I miss civilization. How did we lose it?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It does come down to manners. I was lookig at the people talking about the tea baggers a short while ago then saw the protest at the G20. Wearing mask;breaking windows and confrntation with teh pice. Reminded me of the 60's protest.Quite a difference really.Gvie me the tea baggers any day .

Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:

I agree that your daughter is indulging in one of the stupidest (to date) habits known to man. She is killing herself and the people who have to breath her second hand smoke. However I also believe its her right to do so. Its also my right to leave the area of any smoker I come across, assuming they are smoking in a place where its allowed.

This guy sounds like a real WHACK job. Personally I would have been affraid and probably would have driven to the police department quickly for fear he was going to blow his top.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,346 times
A few weeks ago I had some raging individual pull up and tell me to put out my cigarette or roll up my window.

I told em to "blow off" and of course you know what happened from there.

Good golly... smokers are CRIMINALS don't you know... the government has seen fit to rob us blind to support their CRIMINAL HABITS.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,346 times
Smoking sux.... I really wish i could quit.

Instead of bankrupting me the government should be supporting every person that wants to QUIT... by putting its money where it's mouth is and buying the patch, pill, or whatever it takes to help a person QUIT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies