Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I have a hard time believing this story...
I agree, I call BS on this story. I don't believe it. The OP has an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I agree, I call BS on this story. I don't believe it.
Well, if his daughter's car has an Obama-Biden bumper sticker and the man was listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio, it's possible.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Radicals from all sides are every where.
I don't smoke, don't like to breath it either from someone else. I simply do my best to avoid them.
Smokers in cars? I have no issue if people smoke in thier cars. I do have an issue when they throw the butt out the window. I used to work for a landscaper. One of our jobs was cleaning up outside this big store. I was doing the job cleaning up about 5000 butts scattered around the ashtray when a smoker threw a butt on the ground about 5 feet from the ashtray. I looked at him and he said "what its your job". Radicals on both sides.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And smoking makes a person's teeth yellow and it ages their facial skin and the skin of the fingers holding the cigarette.

Why must smokers litter?
True, smoking has aged my skin. And the advantages:

I register at a motel and they don't even ask me for an AARP card, they just take one look at my face, and it's an instant senior discount.

Same with restaurants that offer senior discounts. I smile and smile with my yellowed teeth as I enjoy my discounted meal.

Littering smokers? I smoke but I've never so much as thrown a cigarette butt out the window or discarded it in an improper way. As a smoker, I feel they should fine these smokers for being so careless with the environment.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I smile and smile with my yellowed teeth as I enjoy my discounted meal.
Funny. When I moved at the end of May I accidentally threw away the tray my dentist made for bleaching. I can't believe I did that! I want to scream. So now it's been months since I whitened my teeth and I'm thinking to myself "when did white teeth become fashionable?" My discoloration isn't from smoking, but I love coffee and right now I'm sipping on a glass of Merlot. Yellow is the color of the sun. "and we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun..."
http://bestsmileys.com/sun/3.gif (broken link)

In 1974 I met a student from M.I.T. while I was on a ski vacation at Stowe, VT. We skiied together and then went out for the evening. During a drunken kiss, he told me I tasted like an ashtray and, because he was so gorgeous, I quit. He dumped me 6 months later and I married a smoker. Life is full of irony.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Nahh... don't hurt your hand. I would have flicked my lit cigarette into his eye.
Drat those tedious rep rules!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
True, smoking has aged my skin. And the advantages:

I register at a motel and they don't even ask me for an AARP card, they just take one look at my face, and it's an instant senior discount.

Same with restaurants that offer senior discounts. I smile and smile with my yellowed teeth as I enjoy my discounted meal.

Littering smokers? I smoke but I've never so much as thrown a cigarette butt out the window or discarded it in an improper way. As a smoker, I feel they should fine these smokers for being so careless with the environment.
Yes, apparently I'm more careful as a smoker? I've never thrown butts onto a beach, never put them out in a park on the grass & not picked them up, never smoked at a friends place & not tossed them into an ashtray or bottle. Yes, there are a*hole smokers everywhere, just like there are a*hole litterers of all types.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,419 times
I remember when civility was still common, in our society. This was as recently as the late-70s. It seems to me, that Americans starting frothing at the mouth about everything, in the 80s. If I can trace the beginning of America's slide into rage, hateful attitudes, and lashing out, it would be after Reagan became President.

The 80s were a really BAD decade, for most Americans. All of a sudden, we had to deal with the birth of the AIDS epidemic, homelessness, escalating energy and housing costs, the growing gap between the rich and poor, shallow, greedy Yuppies, the death of unions, the sudden lack of job security, stagnant wages, the devaluation of a college degree, the Reagan administration's decimation of critical funding, for government social programs, etc., etc.

The 80s, were the beginning of the end, of the American dream for many people. And then when Bush Sr. got in office, and the political pendulum swung to the far right, even more Americans were left out in the cold, socially and economically. Bush Sr.'s administration, further rolled back rights and progress, for oppressed groups (minorities, women, the working class, etc.).

When George Dubyah stole not one, but two elections, starting in 2000, already pissed off Americans, became even more so. Since then, we've had to deal with Wall Street and corporate greed, that has ruined our economy. Not to mention 911, and the erosion of our privacy, and constitutional rights. All courtesy of the Bush administration. And with an unemployment rate being close to double-digits now, people are struggling just to maintain their livelihoods.

All of this would naturally make a nation, as mad as hell. Problem is, Americans have been finding all sorts of petty reasons to lash out, and be hateful towards each other. Our society, is more divided in this day and age, then ever. What we need, in my humble opinion, is for Americans to come toegether. We need to channel the anger and hate that so many Americans feel, towards the politians, who have enabled the corporations and Wall Street, to destroy our nation!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
We need to channel the anger and hate that so many Americans feel, towards the politians, who have enabled the corporations and Wall Street, to destroy our nation!
Old thread brought to life again !

Well they've dropped the smokers and picked up on the rich as the next targets. Also anyone who says "Tea Party".

So now it's the obese and the rich that are killing the country and all rage, anger,frustrations should be directed to them.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I remember when civility was still common, in our society. This was as recently as the late-70s. It seems to me, that Americans starting frothing at the mouth about everything, in the 80s. If I can trace the beginning of America's slide into rage, hateful attitudes, and lashing out, it would be after Reagan became President.

The 80s were a really BAD decade, for most Americans. All of a sudden, we had to deal with the birth of the AIDS epidemic, homelessness, escalating energy and housing costs, the growing gap between the rich and poor, shallow, greedy Yuppies, the death of unions, the sudden lack of job security, stagnant wages, the devaluation of a college degree, the Reagan administration's decimation of critical funding, for government social programs, etc., etc.

The 80s, were the beginning of the end, of the American dream for many people. And then when Bush Sr. got in office, and the political pendulum swung to the far right, even more Americans were left out in the cold, socially and economically. Bush Sr.'s administration, further rolled back rights and progress, for oppressed groups (minorities, women, the working class, etc.).

When George Dubyah stole not one, but two elections, starting in 2000, already pissed off Americans, became even more so. Since then, we've had to deal with Wall Street and corporate greed, that has ruined our economy. Not to mention 911, and the erosion of our privacy, and constitutional rights. All courtesy of the Bush administration. And with an unemployment rate being close to double-digits now, people are struggling just to maintain their livelihoods.

All of this would naturally make a nation, as mad as hell. Problem is, Americans have been finding all sorts of petty reasons to lash out, and be hateful towards each other. Our society, is more divided in this day and age, then ever. What we need, in my humble opinion, is for Americans to come toegether. We need to channel the anger and hate that so many Americans feel, towards the politians, who have enabled the corporations and Wall Street, to destroy our nation!
A politian has never had their thigh ooze over on to my seat. A politian has never choked me with cigarette smoke.

I think it started when drug addicts started getting social security because they were "disabled". When everyone has some sort of "disability" or "condition" concessions have to be made. Normal people are tired of having to hear about all these "victims" that they have to pay for.

Enough is enough, people have to man-up and deal with the adversity that comes with life and most often it's a result of their own actions. Nobody is responsible for their own actions anymore and they don't have to be because everyone makes excuses for them. In my opinion it's all because of the lefty PC machine. You can't call people fat anymore because it hurts their feelings, teachers can't use red pens to grade papers anymore because it has a negative connotation. Firemen aren't firemen anymore they're "firepersons". What kind of crap is that?
The guys who worked on the space program put a man on the moon using sliderules. How? They were nerds. Yup, lets face it they were nerds. They were told they were nerds. This might be my own personal belief but I'll bet at least one of those guys said "hey eff you, I'm gonna put a man on the moon and then who'll be laughing?" And they did it. You need a little friction in life to make it worthwhile and if we keep making everything easy nobody will accomplish anything but it'll be ok because we'll already have an excuse for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies