Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Even if true (I see no evidence of that on the linked page), the fact that liberals are being dragged through the mud in Canada is a big enough knee slapper in itself. I trust that the Canadian people can read between the lines and conclude for themselves that the Obama-voters are nary an intelligent bunch. One doesn't have to look far to come to that conclusion based on the people they elect to office.
wow, you're using an opinion piece on a far right website, along the lines of worldnet daily, to gauge the opinions of the entire canadian population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's legal precedent that lying is not acceptable in commercial speech - i.e., advertisements have to tell the truth. A communication from a company to its clients probably falls under the category of commercial speech.
Again, Humana did tell the truth. Baucus wants to suppress the truth.

"The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Douglas Elmendorf, told senators that seniors in Medicare's managed care plans could see reduced benefits under a bill in the Finance Committee.
The bill would cut payments to the Medicare Advantage plans by more than $100 billion over 10 years.
Elmendorf said the changes "would reduce the extra benefits that would be made available to beneficiaries through Medicare Advantage plans."
Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_seniors - broken link)

Looks like there may be an attempt to grandfather the seniors currently enrolled in Medicare Advantage, depending on cost, but the same level of benefits wouldn't be available for anyone else, including those becoming eligible for Medicare subsequently.

"Finance Committee Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida, whose state is home to many seniors, plans to offer an amendment to the bill to protect current Medicare Advantage beneficiaries from losing benefits. Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., has already agreed to hold benefits stable for plans in areas of the country where they deliver more efficient care, but it's not clear precisely which areas would be affected."

Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Oh, please. People were arrested for wearing t-shirts at Bush events. Or harrassed for having bumper stickers. I don't recall any of you speaking out then.

So I think you're insincere. And that's putting it mildly.
Ida, do you really think that arresting a person with a T-shirt proclaiming death to out President can be equated with government officials telling an insurance company to stop telling their customers that they are fast losing their rights to be insured privately.

How in the world can you people keep talking trivialities like this as the real thing? Were any of those people you call arrested put into lockups for any period of time beyond what it took to keep them protected from the other side? If so give me some real links that show that.

Humana was just telling its people the truth and they have been silenced by threats from our government. Have we really slipped that far in 8 months? I would never have believed it possible, but there it is staring me in the face.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
CBC News - Canada - Ignatieff lags Harper in approval rating: poll

One political leader, however, soars above all the rest in the opinion of Canadian poll respondents: U.S. President Barack Obama.

The poll found that the president got a 73 per cent job approval rating from Canadians, with only 11 per cent disapproving of his performance.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Read the story, Obama didn't do anything. Baucus said it was unaceptable to mislead seniors. The rest of the story has no substance at all.
Maybe we should look at the fact that Baucus has been whining and crying since he had to present his thing by himself since the rest of the bunch refused to accept some of his crap. The fact that he is whining doesn't make what Human did illegal or wrong. He whined and the administration stomped in with their gag order for insurance companies. I failed to see misleading in what they tried to do but then I am very senior, myself.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This article is a Canadian commentary that pointedly calls out the Obama Administration and it's flunkies for blatant trampling of free speech.
I know that right-wingers prefer the news organization that went to court to preserve its right to lie to the public (begins with "F", ends with "ox"), but even so, the linked blog is obvious nutjobbery.

Anyway, why don't you line out how insisting on truth in commercial speech is a deviation from legal precedence?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Okay....When did lying become acceptable free speech? When calling out some one for lying "Throwing out" the first amendment? Does that mean Joe Wilson also trampled on the first amendment then, and no one is saying a word?

He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing him. This falsehood of tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time depraves all its good dispositions.
    • Thomas Jefferson Letter to Peter Carr (19 August 1785)
I didn't know that Jefferson had a way to see into the future to 2009 but this description of Obama seems to be very prophetic along with being very true.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Again, Humana did tell the truth. Baucus wants to suppress the truth.
Then they'd have a fantastic legal case.

But they stopped in their tracks and are now cooperating with the investigation. Seems like either their legal department or you have it wrong.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
ALERT:* Obama Throws out First Amendment Free Speech Clause

Notice who is reporting this and who isnt
Obama has now left us but, two choices: To fight against him or die because of him. Never in the history of the USA has it been placed in such extreme and total jeopardy…never.

I don't think many of our progressive friends have managed to read these last three lines of that article. They saw Canadian Free Press and stopped reading, for the most part, but they sure are willing to comment on the right leaning paper that publishes so many Americans.

I really got excited about those last three lines which would be not allowed in this nation right on the heels of what we saw with Humana. I think that we will see more and more of this kind of thing in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Okay....When did lying become acceptable free speech? When calling out some one for lying "Throwing out" the first amendment? Does that mean Joe Wilson also trampled on the first amendment then, and no one is saying a word?

He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing him. This falsehood of tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time depraves all its good dispositions.
    • Thomas Jefferson Letter to Peter Carr (19 August 1785)

Ummm free speech means just that. Who is to determine the truth? It seems that Obama lied when he said benefits to Medicare recipients would not be cut. Shall we revoke his free speech rights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies