Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Go ahead and comment on those last three lines that I commented about, Nat.
Quote:
It appears the time has come. Obama has now left us but, two choices: To fight against him or die because of him. Never in the history of the USA has it been placed in such extreme and total jeopardy…never.
Like I said; I feel this whole article was a movement piece and not a very well written one. It's either meant to scare people or to call them to take action. I'm leaning more toward scare tactics because typically a call to action piece suggests some sort of action. I don't really respond well to fear tactics so the last three lines had no affect on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Like I said; I feel this whole article was a movement piece and not a very well written one. It's either meant to scare people or to call them to take action. I'm leaning more toward scare tactics because typically a call to action piece suggests some sort of action. I don't really respond well to fear tactics so the last three lines had no affect on me.
As I said, you are too truthful to take the article apart so you used one of the other prog approaches, scare tactics to attack it. That is safe, but at least you answered me with that post. Far better and closer to taking into the article than the rest here. However, I don't know how many of these people have me on ignore. I know that most don't like to see what I write so think that more than just one of two have me there.

Nat, I very much enjoy reading your posts whether I agree with them or not, and more often than not I agree, at least somewhat. I just think that you are too truthful to take the low road all the time. I do rep you quite often because I see you that way.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Let's take a deep breath.

The underlying story is about Humana sending out deceptive mailings, and someone saying that it isn't appropriate for them to be doing it.
No, the underlying story is that Baucus accused Humana of sending out deceptive mailings and called for an investigation. The facts are that Humana was telling the truth (CBO's assessment), and Baucus wants to hide the truth from seniors.

"The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Douglas Elmendorf, told senators that seniors in Medicare's managed care plans could see reduced benefits under a bill in the Finance Committee.
The bill would cut payments to the Medicare Advantage plans by more than $100 billion over 10 years.
Elmendorf said the changes "would reduce the extra benefits that would be made available to beneficiaries through Medicare Advantage plans."
Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_seniors - broken link)

Humana is a Medicare Advantage plan provider. They were informing their customers of how their plan would be affected. The CBO supports Humana's statements to their customers.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Have you noticed that nearly every word from progs on this thread has been little more than attacking of the messenger? So little about the message and so much attacking of the messenger. Very prog-type MO.
i'm "attacking the messenger" in response to aeroguydc's post acting as if the messenger is more credible for being canadian, and subsequent posts acting as if it represents the consensus of the canadian people, when the author isn't canadian and the website is completely out of touch with the views of most canadians.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,913,262 times
Up front, I didn't read the link. Why? Because even a 5th grader can tell you that the POTUS can't 'throw out' Amendments.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
In a more realistic showing of Democrat distaste for freedom of speech. The Senate finance committee yesterday defeated an amendment to protect freedom of speech for business. Kyl Amendment...down in flames at the hands of the Nazis. This will open a VERY BIG can of worms down the road, but nothing that these vile federal tyrants do surprises me much anymore.

Sorry...jumped in before reading whole thread...*smacks self*

Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Up front, I didn't read the link. Why? Because even a 5th grader can tell you that the POTUS can't 'throw out' Amendments.
Feeling literal today?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Gene, the latest thing I have seen from the Obamas is that over $600 billion will be cut from Medicare in the next 10 years. Is there any chance that this would include any of what Humana said?
Yes, it does include what Humana told their customers. Let's look at the statement from the Humana letter and the statement from the CBO.

Humana letter: "While these programs need to be made more efficient, if the proposed funding cut levels become law, millions of seniors and disabled individuals could lose many of the important benefits and services that make Medicare Advantage health plans so valuable."

CBO statement: "The bill would cut payments to the Medicare Advantage plans by more than $100 billion over 10 years.
Elmendorf said the changes "would reduce the extra benefits that would be made available to beneficiaries through Medicare Advantage plans."

Humana letter:
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/humanamailer.pdf

CBO assessment:
Budget chief contradicts Obama on Medicare costs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_seniors - broken link)

Quote:
Since the campaign promises were about not cutting Medicare and then we see a number like that I am a bit concerned about my last few years of life. They did take out the part about life ending stories so I guess that won't be part of the $600 billion. Whoopee.
Everyone should be concerned. Reneging on campaign promises is bad enough, though many politicians do that. What sets this horrendously apart is the government force involved in trying to deliberately withhold the truth from millions of seniors through a gag order on their Medicare Advantage providers.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, the underlying story is that Baucus accused Humana of sending out deceptive mailings and called for an investigation. The facts are that Humana was telling the truth (CBO's assessment), and Baucus wants to hide the truth from seniors.

"The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Douglas Elmendorf, told senators that seniors in Medicare's managed care plans could see reduced benefits under a bill in the Finance Committee.
The bill would cut payments to the Medicare Advantage plans by more than $100 billion over 10 years.

Humana is a Medicare Advantage plan provider. They were informing their customers of how their plan would be affected. The CBO supports Humana's statements to their customers.
Do you get the feeling that you and I are the only ones here who are listening to the CBO? It surely appears so.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'm "attacking the messenger" in response to aeroguydc's post acting as if the messenger is more credible for being canadian, and subsequent posts acting as if it represents the consensus of the canadian people, when the author isn't canadian and the website is completely out of touch with the views of most canadians.
I have seen your point from the beginning but I still think that attacking the message is much better than only attacks on the messenger. That seems to be the MO of most progs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies