Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:20 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
The ONLY people on this entire planet that come up with numbers anywhere close to this are chickenhawks and apologists.
They'll be posting soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 08:30 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
They'll be posting soon.
Oh, I know they will be. It physically hurts them to admit that this war was wrong. So they will never do it. So much pride. So much arrogance. And of course, they'll claim that those against the war hate America, hate the troops, hate freedom. It's so sad, I mean that honestly. I really does make me sad to know that people think this way.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I am so glad to hear such common sense . It makes a change from all the Jingoistic rubbish branded around. Thank you for renewing my faith in people recognising the truth.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:33 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Wow. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been attacked. I'm crossing my fingers.

I remember people complaining about Michael Moore's documentary showing kids flying kites in Iraq before the war. They said it wasn't like that. I've seen similar videos of the beautiful country of Iran and the people there and it saddens me that it will more than likely be next to fall. I am reminded of how kids in the concentration camps in WWII still found ways to play games. People will go about their lives in the best way they can even when the life around them is less than ideal. It's a testament to the human spirit.

I just hope someone survives.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Wow. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been attacked. I'm crossing my fingers.
Indeed; where have all the dittoheads and Foxites gone? Come on now, we need your little jingoisms and O'Reilly sanctimony to keep us laughing.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:10 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
I have no problem admitting this war was mismanaged and screwed up by the Bush administration.

But also there are plenty of reports on casualty numbers that have no way of verification. The extreme highs and lows are a result of propoganda to minimize war opposition, and to maximize war protest. All of the alphabet channels love nothing more than to give the most shocking opening stories regarding wars. Same goes for newspapers, magazines, etc. Many times there are retractions and corrections that pop up in a small, barely noticeable section on page A17 regarding a blatant reporting error that was plastered in large print on page A1.

I'm not an apologist. It doesn't take much to realize Bush had no good plans when he rushed us to war. However, I think the one good thing the Bush administration brought to light was the fact that the UN is irrelevant, and that their constant blathering about stuff that they have no intention of acting on should get ignored.

As for O'Reilly, what's the difference between him and some of the other opinionist shows? They all spin things whichever way they want for sensationalism in order to ruffle the feathers of viewers so they are inclined to tune in again. Real, unbiased media reporting is nearing extinction, and the rise of opinionianted commentators is making it even worse.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:16 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
We're "liberating" them...

Saddam wasn't a good guy, but he was no Kim Jong-Il. If we wanted to liberate anyone, it should have been North Korea. They have WMDs, unlike Iraq...but they don't have oil.

American propaganda is the best in the world!

When are we going to learn that a nation is only free when they fight for it, themselves? You cannot force freedom on people. You can only force oppression.

That last sentence is quite true. No one wants to face that reality. After thousand of years- we are there to change it to a democracy What hubris and arrogance. The words to describe this administration.

sunny

Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
That video left me in tears. I can't help but wonder where those folks are now and what their life is like. I'm sure many are dead.

The arrogance of our administration. They will be greeting us with flowers, huh?

That left me with outrage and shame and many prayers.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
They'll be posting soon.
Oops! Apologist here..! However, I'm one of several that I know personally who thinks this war was wrong from the start. I didn't even agree in the beginning and then change my mind. And it only seems to get worse.

I agreed wholeheartedly with going into Afghanistan and going after bin Laden, Al Qaeda, and the Taliban.

But Iraq? No. I think Saddam was an evil, greedy man and had an evil and greedy government. But I had seen interviews and programs on Discovery, History Channels and on the news about their universities, women leaders, technology, and many good things as well as his atrocities. But WMDs? I never bought that and disagreed with a number of people, including my own brother who got very agitated with me. Now it's a bit of a different story, at least with my brother! (He tolerates my moderate views.)

Note: I thought you meant Christian by 'apologist'....

Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
However, I think the one good thing the Bush administration brought to light was the fact that the UN is irrelevant, and that their constant blathering about stuff that they have no intention of acting on should get ignored.
Sometimes true, but not so much in this case. Hans Blix was light years ahead of Bush, Cheney, and Powell on the actual state of affairs, but he wasn't pursuing what the administration wanted, which was war, so he had to be headed off at the pass. A more sensible group could easily have worked with and through the UN to neutralize any threat that Iraq actually posed to anyone. Then all we would have had to debate was how to modernize the sanctions. Piece of cake, compared to what we got instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
As for O'Reilly, what's the difference between him and some of the other opinionist shows? They all spin things whichever way they want for sensationalism in order to ruffle the feathers of viewers so they are inclined to tune in again. Real, unbiased media reporting is nearing extinction, and the rise of opinionianted commentators is making it even worse.
Probably true, but the slash-and-burners on the right may be more obnoxious simply by their being much more numerous. Then there's the fact that they treat their political views as if they were some sort of revealed religion. Any questioning of them can only come from dangerous heretics. People who must love terrorists and hate America. To any traditional American, that sort of thing is about as un-American as you can get...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies