Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,195,912 times

Advertisements

[quote=Predos;10989914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Not deep hatred, just a physiological occurrence. Quit trying to make everyone agree with your stance and discussion is possible.

Open your mind and provide physical proof of this christ of yours. You know, artifacts, actual writings, etchings in the wall that he was here.

The buybull doesn't count, as it was constructed with a predisposition towards the outcome it wanted and was created by man well after the passing of this alleged person. There are no actual records of his life or death, just stories that have grown over the years.

Provide some of this "history" (you know, actual facts) and we can discuss it. Provide more fairy tales and it is pointless.

As for your experiences, I do not doubt that you believe them to portend what you say. Drugs and booze can do the same thing.
What if one feels as the poster said but doesn't say what you want to hear? I guess that is the end of the discussion. I can't do any more than tell you that I feel that God, and that is what I call him/it or whatever you want it to be, must have had some reason for me to be here today. About 4 1/2 years ago I suffered a nearly painless heart attack. In fact it took over 5 hours before the doctor decided that I had had one. Anyway they transported me over 125 miles to the hospital that is aimed at hear care. They didn't think it was so serious so sent me by ambulance, instead of flying me. I guess it would have taken about as long if they waited for the helicopter to get here and back. Anyway, the EMT says that I expired on the way, about 1/2 hour from the hospital. I thought I was asleep at the time. Anyway, three days later I had a six bypass open heart done and I am now as strong, physically as ever in my older years. I can't think of anything other than that God must have had some reason for me to stay around.

You believe what you want to and I will continue to believe in God and use my experience as my reason for doing so. I have argued with some really good atheists who were also left leaning people, also and one of them was a lot of fun and very likable although we called each other names all the time.

You call names but don't accept others talking the same way about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:21 PM

37,088 posts, read 42,072,811 times
I don't care who believes what or why. I only care when they tell me and then get testy when I don't see what they see. Personal medical stories are at the top of the list.

But if people are going to tell their tales I'm going to react to them and let them know what I think.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,572,215 times
[quote=roysoldboy;10990255]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post

What if one feels as the poster said but doesn't say what you want to hear? I guess that is the end of the discussion. I can't do any more than tell you that I feel that God, and that is what I call him/it or whatever you want it to be, must have had some reason for me to be here today. About 4 1/2 years ago I suffered a nearly painless heart attack. In fact it took over 5 hours before the doctor decided that I had had one. Anyway they transported me over 125 miles to the hospital that is aimed at hear care. They didn't think it was so serious so sent me by ambulance, instead of flying me. I guess it would have taken about as long if they waited for the helicopter to get here and back. Anyway, the EMT says that I expired on the way, about 1/2 hour from the hospital. I thought I was asleep at the time. Anyway, three days later I had a six bypass open heart done and I am now as strong, physically as ever in my older years. I can't think of anything other than that God must have had some reason for me to stay around.

You believe what you want to and I will continue to believe in God and use my experience as my reason for doing so. I have argued with some really good atheists who were also left leaning people, also and one of them was a lot of fun and very likable although we called each other names all the time.

I've also had experiences (medically) where I was supposed to be dead, but came back anyway and I never once thought a god had anything to do with it. I thanked my doctors, my nurses, my paramedics and EMTs and sent a special thank you to all the scientists and medical professionals before them that invented the equipment used to save me. I was happy that my doctors learned such wonderful things so they could save my life not once, but three times.

I guess we just have a different perspective on things

Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,902,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It seems in the U.S Christianity is on the decline. Even if I am non-religious I see this as a negative. When this was a Christian country we were more polite and civilized. Today people have no religion and no values, the result is a deep and dysfunctional moral decay.

As for the world, Muslims are reproducing at a far higher rate than Christians, this is especially true in Europe. I could imagine the vast majority of the world will be Muslim in 100 years with Christianity being a small minority. The Western media and entertainment industries attacking and picking on Christians will also work to the Islamic advantage. One day historians might be amazed that there ever was a time where the majority of women in the world had freedom and didn't wear the burkah. They will conclude that Westerners took for granted their culture and values and in the process lost their civlization.
Have you read any of the links posted on this thread? Christianity is probably growing faster than Islam worldwide-google it.

I do agree with your stance on the growth of Islam in Europe. The reality is that there has been a religious void in Europe for some time and the atheist/agnostic majority aren't vigorous enough to stop the spread of Islam in the continent. So, no need to be chicken little about the whole world but yes Western Europe just may be an extension of the Arab world in 50 years.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,805,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't necessarily agree. Atheism and secular humanism aren't really destructive to society... it is simply a disbelief is anything supernatural. In general, we have no collective theories as Atheists, but want to treat everyone with respect, which requires no god-thing. Buddhists are technically Atheists, but they seem to be pretty peaceful

The part about criminals is interesting though, because many criminals are religious long before they get arrested and/or put in jail. Both my aunt and uncle work in the prison system for the LAPD and see it all the time. They go to church, they have crosses tattooed on them, they request bibles when they are first locked up. They are believers, but they still do these unlawful things for many reasons...family, respect, power etc. but still believe in a deity.

Oh, and Atheists can't 'worship' Satan.... its supernatural and doesn't exist

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I never thought that athiests worship Satan. My point is that a lot of criminals or bad people in general are motivated by dark forces even if they never think of anything religious or spiritual one way or another.

The athiests I have known have been good people and I can respect that they don't need anything written or supernatural for them to have a moral foundation. The problem they make is assuming everyone has it in them to behave the same. This is a case where i'm in full agreement with those who rule the world (or did rule the word until recent times) I believe the masses need religion. They need a clear set of guidelines on how to behave such as the Ten Commandments or they will go crazy and we will lose our civility. This has been happening slowly and steadily for many years as our nation has transformed from being mostly Christian to mostly secular.

I hope this thread is right. I would very much welcome Christianity being on the rise.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,531,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

Same bs as the old "one of my best friends is {fill in the blank}". You are claiming to believe what you believe and will bridge no discussion on the subject. Not exactly an open minded start to a discussion.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,531,840 times
[quote=Finn_Jarber;10983443]
Quote:
Did I single anyone here out as a 'Christian in name only'?
You used the term with a familiarity show that you commonly think it. You know, passing a judgment that you attribute to your gawd but make for yourself.

Quote:
No, I did not, so I do not claim to be the one to decide who is saved and who is not.
Yes you do, with each post you make trying to "correct" the thinking of others.

Quote:
People know it themselves. I can tell you that there are MILLIONs of Americans who classify themselves as Christians, but admit being 'Christians in name only', meaning they were born into a Christian family and celebrate X-mas etc, but have no personal relationship with God. Such people are 'Christian in name only', because they do not meet the biblical definition of a believing Christian.
Couple things wrong here. People claim to be christians but know that they are not "true christians"?

You are stating rules for being a "true christian" by what authority? Are you making this judgment on behalf of your gawd? Should we all hit our knees in your divine presence?

Another example of why christianity is failing.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,441,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
You are stating rules for being a "true christian" by what authority? Are you making this judgment on behalf of your gawd? Should we all hit our knees in your divine presence?

Another example of why christianity is failing.
Attacking me personally won't help you win the argument.

I already told you what defines a 'true' believer: the Holy Bible does. Not me, not you, but the Bible. The Bible says one must be born again in order to see the kingdom of God. A Born Again Christian is the 'true' Christian defined in the Bible. If you have not been born again, and you call yourself a Christian, you are a Christian in Name Only. These are not my words, but the words in the Bible.

John 3:3, "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

John 14:6, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

According to the Bible to simply believe there is God, isn't enough. Even Satan himself knows there is God, yet that belief will not help him, because he is still going to hell.

James 2:19-26 (New International Version)
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless. Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? [You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. [And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,069,019 times
As an atheist I believe that this is a good thing as long as it doesn't become radicalized.

I fully support anyone's right to believe and never could understand why some atheists want to abolish religious symbols, words, etc. just because they happen to find them "offensive". If you really open your eyes even an atheist can find beauty and meaning in these symbols and words. They may not mean quite the same as they would to people of faith, but that's not the point. I can enjoy being in a church and appreciate the beauty and feeling of peace it brings without believing in God.

Today there's too much worship of government - maybe a little less of that and a little more in God wouldn't be all that bad.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 62,358 times
cristianity especially catolics are a good religion. the problem arises when white americans mix cristianity with republicanism and start to sing things such as "god blesss the americans" i dont think god sees the world like a basebol game and picks a team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies