Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times

Advertisements

Printed 09/25/09, FYI:
Quote:
Unemployment is high and rising. But if the recession is over, won't employment start to rise? The quick answer is no. We look deeper into the Statistical Recovery and find yet more reasons to be concerned about near-term deflation. This week we consider all things unemployment and ponder the need to create at least 15 million jobs in the next five years to return to a full-employment economy - and the implications for both the US and world economies if we don't. Economic is often about what we can clearly see, and yet it is understanding what we can't see that gives us true insight. We start with a collection of facts that we can see and then begin a thought exercise to find the implications.
An interesting read, the whole thing. I'm not an economist, but it does make sense.

Welcome to the New Normal - Thoughts From The Frontline - InvestorsInsight.com | Financial Intelligence, Advice & Research / Investment Strategies & Planning for Individual Investors.

And before you ask, delu, yes, I DID read the whole thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 02:50 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
charles hugh smith-Unemployment: The Gathering Storm

Old 09-26-2009, 02:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Goodness, aren't you the same folks who screamed, "let'em fail" just a few months ago?

Yes, unemployment is going to be a lingering problem in this recovery, but you and I both know that you aren't even going to endorse any plan that would sufficiently do anything about it.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I think this time it will be worse. Many of those jobs got offshored and will not be coming back.
Brand new jobs will need to be created.

Americans got layed off but someone in a third world country is now doing that very job so the job is still there and still has an employee attached to it.

This will indeed be a very different recovery.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:00 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
There can be no recovery without jobs...it actually is that simple.

To maintain our current rate of employment,1,800,000 new jobs must be created and this would do nothing to the current unemployment rate(over 16%)

Old 09-26-2009, 03:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
And before you ask, delu, yes, I DID read the whole thing!
That's funny.

Yup - This admin is not business friendly. It has created much risk, instability and anxiety for the business community. Obama is talking about changing tax codes and such. Wants smalll businesses to pay for health care of its employees, etc. Wants increased regulations and more gov't interference. This is not a climate that businesses and enterprenuers want to enter. Period.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Goodness, aren't you the same folks who screamed, "let'em fail" just a few months ago?

Yes, unemployment is going to be a lingering problem in this recovery, but you and I both know that you aren't even going to endorse any plan that would sufficiently do anything about it.
What YOU know and what I know will never cross paths. Did I really write "let'em fail?" just a few months ago, or are you putting words in my mouth, so to speak. What do YOU have to offer, dudette?

Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Americans got layed off but someone in a third world country is now doing that very job so the job is still there and still has an employee attached to it.
You are talking two different things.

The outsourcing of American jobs to offshore overseas lower cost centers has been occuring for decades (which I could agrue has some to do with unions and minimal wage increases). And. The global recession. You really cannot connect the two. Given we have lost jobs to outsourcing, but it was not the cause of the global recession. Global port calls for international shipping is down by some 70-75%. There was a post about all the ghost cargo ships sitting idle off of singapore. Not only Americans lost jobs. And the jobs we lost, were not just moved overseas.

Last edited by mossomo; 09-26-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
You are talking two different things.

The outsourcing of American jobs to offshore overseas lower cost centers has been occuring for decades (which I could agrue has some to do with unions and minimal wage increases). And. The global recession. You really cannot connect the two.

The global recession did not occur because of the American outsourcing. Global shipping, oceananic shipping, is down 75%. Many countries lost jobs, not just USA.
It did escalate though with this recession. Even more jobs and factories relocated to foreign soil. This is beyond the normal offshoring that was going on. It would be interesting to see how many of those mass firings this year were offshored vs just a company cutting back.

Many companies escalated their offshoring work to cut operating expenses to offset falling revenue so they could still report "glowing" quarterly earnings. False sense of company stability and consumer activity.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Many countries lost jobs, not just USA.
India is in hiring mode. They are gaining jobs currently.

India Inc. Bounces Back & Starts Hiring
India most optimistic on Q4 hiring: Report - India Business - Business - NEWS - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/business/india-business/India-most-optimistic-on-Q4-hiring-Report/articleshow/4985792.cms - broken link)

I read another article which I can't find about the top 10 companies currently hiring in India..I recall Oracle in that list among a few other US IT shops.

Meanwhile, on this side of the pond folks are getting layed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies