Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
For the love of humanity....will you please stop with the false premise that Bush thought Saddam was in the plane that hit the WTC or some other silly myth designed to make Bush look like he blamed Saddam for 9/11?

If you took the time to understand the history and not be blinded by rhetoric and sound bites, you'd know that Iraq had WMD and as a condition of the cease fire in 1991 they agreed to UN inspections. You'd also know that they thwarted the UN time and again, along with the fact that Bill Clinton, the French, the Germans, and most Democrats in Congress felt he was a serious threat to his region and to the US. He allowed terrorist training camps in Salman Pak and had known Palestinian ties such as Abu Nidal and others. Just because he may not have had obvious or known ties to Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda doesn't mean he didn't have terrorist ties.

After 9/11, we couldn't take chances with terrorists coming together with rogue states to threaten us or the world. Democrats believed this, and foreign governments believed this. Democrats have conveniently forgotten their own words and their own speeches since it's become politically beneficial.

You should try to refresh your own memory and learn a few facts about history and stop with the moveon.org talking points. It's getting old.
Exactly! Well put.

Most of these idiots think themselves to be smarter than our military strategists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 04:51 PM

858 posts, read 1,500,966 times
I have never forgotten and never will.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
National security is a journey, not a destination. You don't win and go home as you seem to suggest.
This is so ... right on the mark! Freedom and liberty require constant defense. There is evil in the world. It must be ****inually fought, if we wish to keep our liberty.

Quote:
We've made that mistake time and again, and it's time we learned from our shortsightedness.

How can you say "we've won" with the situation in the world? Have you not been watching or reading the news? Afghanistan is still far from won, and Iran has again reared its ugly head just as the evil Dick Cheney and evil George Bush said they would.
And we have Obama wanting to "talk" to them. That is tantamount to surrender.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:55 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, quit with the Bull Sh-t!

Sorry. I trust our military strategists more than I trust some "observer" citizen on the sidelines, who doesn't know squat about fighting a war, or military strategy.

Sorry, that's an empty argument, it wasn't the military that decided we'd go to Iraq while Afghanistan was far from settled.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
OK so besides a magnet on your car, what exactly have any of you done, except complain?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I rememebr why we are fighting very well. The thing is I want us to use the number of troops that need to be there to actually accomplish something ;not put ours troops there to be targets. We need to do what is necessary to win or not expect our tropps to be more victims.We have become a nation that thinks war is a gentlemans game and it never has been.
A nice big A-bomb would be useful. Look how quickly it ended WWII.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Such a silly and meaningless argument. To speak specifically about Iraq, and why we went there (I really get tired of having to repeat this argument)
  • Military Strategy. We had an evil dictator in Iraq who was supporting terrorism. Monetarily? Definitely. With weapons? Probably. It was a known fact that Saddam helped to fund terrorist activity.

To leave Saddam in place would have been (strategically) unacceptable. He could have, and would have, provided safe haven, training, and weapons to terrorists plotting against the U.S. He wasn't our friend. Once we began the war in Afghanistan, we needed to neutralize any possibility of Saddam assisting in the fight against us. And Iran was most certainly also on the "watch list".

Since Saddam had been known to be working on WMD's (this isn't even arguable — he had used them, against his own people), and since he had failed to comply with the UN inspectors, this gave us additional ammunition in arguing our case. I do think Bush over played this aspect, however, especially since Saddam had ample time to "hide" or remove such weapons before we went in (he knew we were coming). This was unfortunate.
  • Political strategy. Remove an evil dictator and put in place a government friendly to the U.S.

People love liberty. Freedom and democracy do not have to be "imposed" on a people. They want liberty. It is the natural yearning of the human spirit.
The "wrong country" argument is just plain silly. It would make no sense to mount a war against "terrorism", and limit that war to just one country, when terrorism has no home. Afghanistan did not attack us. Muslim terrorists did. Al Qaeda. They exist throughout the world.

And, no, it wasn't about "oil". Would you like to tell all the relatives of the people who died on 9-11, "Thanks, the death of your loved ones gives us the perfect excuse to go after Iraqi oil".

We have not stolen one drop of oil from anywhere in the Middle East. We pay for every drop.
No, it is your argument that is silly and meaningless, except for your comment that terrorism has no home.

Any country that did not attack us is the wrong country. And if you don't yet understand the disaster that Iraq was, you are among a devout, dwindling, and very misguided few.

"People love liberty. Freedom and democracy do not have to be "imposed" on a people. They want liberty." It is really hard for me to believe that anyone would still be spouting this nonsense when we are talking about the Middle East.

The correct, but very different version is Freedom and democracy cannot be "imposed" on a people.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 09-26-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 05:04 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I rememebr why we are fighting very well. The thing is I want us to use the number of troops that need to be there to actually accomplish something ;not put ours troops there to be targets. We need to do what is necessary to win or not expect our tropps to be more victims.We have become a nation that thinks war is a gentlemans game and it never has been.
Agree 100%. I was one of the people in October 2001 who expected and wanted 250K troops in Afghanistan, instead of outsourcing to the locals.

Before anyone throws any insults at me...I'd gladly go but am in my 40s. I have two nephews (one went to Iraq and is probably on his way to Afghanistan) and the other may deploy soon to most likely Afghanistan) who are active duty. I also have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law who both served in Iraq.

The problem in this country is that we've lost the idea of shared sacrifice and common purpose. We expect someone else's children to do our fighting while our kids go to Harvard. I personally would be in favor of compulsary service just like they have in countries like Israel. I have a 13 year old son and a 16 year old daughter, so this affects me very personally.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:12 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Yes, we are fighting. But do we fight the right war, or are we totally sidetracked?

I wonder that a lot. I have a niece & 2 nephews who have been on tours in Somalia, Iraq & Afghanistan. Of course I would rather have them home.
Just because I support our troops and "remember why we are fighting" does not mean I'm pro-war. The US has been at war, or
(for lack of a better term) in conflict with many countries in the M.E. & (elsewhere) since way before 9/11.

Let me ask this, of anyone...left, right, or lost somewhere in the middle like me. Do you think of yourself as only a US citizen, or also as a member of the
human race? Do you feel that our country, (along with others) has any obligation to be a protective force against these extreme tyrants? I do. I don't
think the Bush administration was wrong to go after Saddam - I think their P.R. boys screwed up in letting the country think 9/11 was the reason.

I also don't buy into the whole "were there or were there not weapons of mass destruction" debate. The mistake there was clueing all of us in
on that possibility - which because of our belief in a fair democratic society that gets to protest and squabble on the senate floor ad infinitum;
the "axis of evil" had plenty of time to shuttle any would-be WMD all over Middle Eastern hill & dale.

Saddam deserved to go down for all the reasons he did. I don't doubt that if Saddam was still on the loose; Osama would be in frequent contact with him.
We are fooling ourselves if we think that there was any other solution than to put our troops in harms way. I hear so much about how wrong we were
and continue to be for having soldiers "over there"...but I don't hear many alternatives. Negotiations? Those only work when both sides are sane.

9/11 put a very real human face on a multi-country threat that has been strengthening for decades. It is very much a reminder for me of why we are fighting.

Peggy Anne, I think you are right that we will have more attacks on US soil - but I don't think it will be because of our aggressions & policies.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:15 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Do you really think for one minute that Al Qaeda was not involved in Iraq after we went after Saddam? Do you really think that Saddam would not have offered help to Al Qaeda if we had not gone into Iraq?

They are all Muslims. It is said, "Blood is thicker than water."

Get a clue.
With that, you just tipped your hand. Among the few that are still on your side, most are religious nut cases. And, yes, I fully understand that no amount of rationality will budge you from your position.

Most of your clueless posts border on personal attacks. Do you really think any but the Fox News automatons you sing to takes you seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies