Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Of course way to ignore the topic of the thread

No I did not ignore the topic of the thread...Your response is typical of a person that can not relate to opposing and adult discussions. You did not recieve the response in the scripted manner that you require, so your ONLY step is to accuse me of ignorning.

The word "typical" has been used and more often it has basically been used to descripe a "typical woman or typical man". Considering NO research has been performed nor information added into the webster dictionary doubt very highly ANY answer would suit your inflaming intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
The source quote explains what Obama meant by typical white person.

" .. The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it..." - Senator Barack Obama

Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 AM

149 posts, read 228,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Race is a Huge Topic in this Forum: What is a Typical White Person?

Ever since Obama brought the term up, I wondered if I was one...

I bet with Obama attending Rev. Wright's church for 20 years, Obama must know what he is talking about.

What is a Typical White Person?

Can anyone in here answer this question?
IMO....there isn't a typical "white" person. The color of my skin is peach, however my background is Indian and Hungarian. I think your question is vague.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Typical white person? Lets see...

White, male, early 30's

married, with kids

Owns a house, in debt up to the eyeballs

drives an expensive truck despite having every reason not to

University graduate, full-time employed in a mediocre job that only barely pays the bills and has nothing to do with his degree

Pro gun rights, anti-abortion

Believes in god but has no confidence in any religious institutions

frustrated with government, certified cynic, doesn't like politicans

Is a forum posting loudmouth and smart ass, think's he's smarter than everone else but probably isn't

Sometimes drinks too much, enjoys loud hard rock music

finds solace in violent first person shooter games and gardening

sometimes kills wild animals and eats their flesh for fun, thinks there should be lots of open space in the world to chase around said wild animals.

has a big beer belly but can still run 3 miles without dying and do a hundred pushups, courtesy of prior government training

So, tell me, am I a "typical" white person or what?

Last edited by Chango; 09-25-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
No I did not ignore the topic of the thread...Your response is typical of a person that can not relate to opposing and adult discussions. You did not recieve the response in the scripted manner that you require, so your ONLY step is to accuse me of ignorning.

The word "typical" has been used and more often it has basically been used to descripe a "typical woman or typical man". Considering NO research has been performed nor information added into the webster dictionary doubt very highly ANY answer would suit your inflaming intentions.
Yes you did the topic is what is a typical white person lol blah blah blah now once again what is a typical white person. Can you describe that person?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The source quote explains what Obama meant by typical white person.

" .. The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it..." - Senator Barack Obama
Classic Obama double talk. Shes not a racist but she does that because of race lol

Old 09-25-2009, 11:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
What is a typical bulldog ? What is a typical poodle ? What is an average white person ?
An average white person has European ancestry, walks upright, pee pees, etc.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:09 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yes you did the topic is what is a typical white person lol blah blah blah now once again what is a typical white person. Can you describe that person?

tell you what,...send over your script and i'll practice, its apparent that you take issue with non-scripted responses.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Once the question is answered on what the typical black, hispanic, woman,man is..then I guess we could answer the question of what a typical white person is...
This is an excellent point. It is also worth noting that our society has always described typical (i.e., stereotypical) Black, Latino/a, etc people. You see these representations in the media, and they are reinforced at multiple levels in our society. It is interesting that this question is brought up now. We should have been asking, for years, why society presents other groups in monolithic ways? And more importantly, why have so many people bought into them?

The OP is correct in asserting that "race is a huge topic." It is in this thread, and it is in America. In fact, it always has been. It is somewhat troubling (and revealing) that some people are now beginning to ask questions about racial stereotyping only because they perceive it as affecting the majority group. Why weren't these same people raising these questions years ago? Our society has always represented other groups in monolithic terms. That has always been "typical."

Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Seems you brought it up, What has Reverend Wright got to do with anything?
There are rural whites, suburban whites, urban whites, rich whites and the same for blacks. Perhaps I was blessed growing up in the worst part of North Philadelphia white, because I can empathize with others, although I have a hard time with Suburban Mall thugs be they black or white.
I am retired Army and live outside a Fort. My neighbors are the most diverse lot I have ever seen. I don't think there is a kid within blocks who isn't some kind of mixture. We get along fine because we have gotten beyond what is stopping you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies