Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Of course...the minute it is changed to soc. health care the drugs will be cut...so you won't get them as easily...who cares if you have pain? I know you and your family do, but not the government...it is about cutting costs!
I'm certainly no advocate for prescription drugs, but do you know who is responsible for not allowing Americans to negotiate drug prices as other countries do? Do you know why we pay as much as three times more than people in other countries?

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-14-2009 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Gee - I pay $4.00 for my prescriptions.

I guess according to some, I'm paying too much!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
Here we go again comparing the USA to other nations and totally disregarding the population size.
Very funny but I doubt you meant that comment as a pun.

If you were referring to my post in which I said, "It's common knowledge that the average older American takes WAY more prescription drugs than any other older person in the rest of the world" then be my guest and prove me wrong. The accepted figures based on accredited sources worldwide (including the USA) are based per capita.

If your comment really is about size, viz "So many visitors cross my path here and I continuously gasp at the way they've treated their bodies. 30 and 40 year olds with massive flab hanging over their shorts and creasing up the back of their shorts." look likewise to world health and obesity correlation statistics (likewise and predominantly subscribed to by the US).

Never mind a one-liner comment such as, "here we go again..." If you want to enter a forum debate then enter it with facts and answer accordingly.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes I agree. A lot of doctors are complicit.
Complicatedly complicit and complacent?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:35 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm one of those poor fools keeping the numbers down, I refuse to take manufactured drugs unless I'm on deaths door.
Me too! I'm a child of the 80s when antibiotics were seen as the panacea for everything! Guess what, ppl exposed to all those drugs are now becomming resistant so when they REALLY get a bacterial infection, they are screwed. I had a dangerous bacterial infection that got into my blood and I had to be hospitalized for weeks, on IV antibiotics because it was so difficult to get the infection under control. Finally, my mom just came back from the Dr.s for a cold. Without doing ANY tests, he automatically put her on strong antibiotics(z-pack), he didn't even try to determine if it was viral or bacterial, and because she had no fever, it probably was viral. I told her she would be better off just resting and taking care of herself rather than seeing a Dr. who was just going to pump her full of unneccessary drugs but she wouldn't listen, the damage is done. Now, like millions of Americans, she thinks she needs a drug(usually antibiotics) everytime she gets a runny nose or sneezes. It's sad and dangerous but she really thinks she needs those pill in order to get better, sad indeed.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you were referring to my post in which I said, "It's common knowledge that the average older American takes WAY more prescription drugs than any other older person in the rest of the world" then be my guest and prove me wrong. The accepted figures based on accredited sources worldwide (including the USA) are based per capita.
The up to 18 OxyContin a day that I take doesn't fall into your definition - does it????

Old 10-14-2009, 04:45 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It was probably a mistake when the FDA permitted pharmaceutical companies to advertise prescription drugs on television.
Probably would be an understatement. Here is a great article about it. A little old, still great. I don't care for the author much, but I won't argue with her about this one. It is from 2001. Even more relevant in 2009.

ARIANNA ONLINE - April 19, 2001 - Drug Companies: Sell Hard, Sell Fast ... And Count The Bodies Later

Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Well, we tend to forget it, but direct-to-consumer prescription drug ads weren't even permitted on television until the mid-90's. And that took place after an intense industry lobbying campaign.

I think it is time to declare that particular policy a failure, and return to the old system which was in place for several decades beforehand.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Me too! I'm a child of the 80s when antibiotics were seen as the panacea for everything! Guess what, ppl exposed to all those drugs are now becomming resistant so when they REALLY get a bacterial infection, they are screwed. I had a dangerous bacterial infection that got into my blood and I had to be hospitalized for weeks, on IV antibiotics because it was so difficult to get the infection under control. Finally, my mom just came back from the Dr.s for a cold. Without doing ANY tests, he automatically put her on strong antibiotics(z-pack), he didn't even try to determine if it was viral or bacterial, and because she had no fever, it probably was viral. I told her she would be better off just resting and taking care of herself rather than seeing a Dr. who was just going to pump her full of unneccessary drugs but she wouldn't listen, the damage is done. Now, like millions of Americans, she thinks she needs a drug(usually antibiotics) everytime she gets a runny nose or sneezes. It's sad and dangerous but she really thinks she needs those pill in order to get better, sad indeed.
Since there is no cure for the common cold (maybe chicken soup) here is a great way to shorten the duration and alleviate some symptoms.

1 cup of boiling water
1 whole garlic clove crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
Cayenne pepper - as many pinches of it that you can tolerate
Honey - to taste
Drink while hot (not boiling)

Much better than any of those OTC cold remedies with no liver damage

Also, for a sore throat...raw onion - great anti-bacterial qualities.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, we tend to forget it, but direct-to-consumer prescription drug ads weren't even permitted on television until the mid-90's. And that took place after an intense industry lobbying campaign.

I think it is time to declare that particular policy a failure, and return to the old system which was in place for several decades beforehand.
It still strkies me as very odd that when they get to the part about side affects, more people don't get turned off. I guess that part of the commercial is like white noise to ignorant consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies