Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:18 PM

959 posts, read 2,355,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Regarding public transportation:

Example:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/SparksStreetatBank.jpg (broken link)

Another option for the US is to create more car-free zones within cities. This can be done even in smaller to moderate size cities to encourage walking and as a form of urban renewal. We have FAR to few pedestrian areas within the US, with our addiction to SUV and ugly strip malls.
Yes, good points Irwin, and this might help out the current obesity problem in the US, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 03:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,398,737 times
There's another argument I want to address that I hear so often:

"Our cities are new and not like the old cities in [insert an area] so we have to have strip malls, giant roads, etc."

Just because something is "new" doesn't mean it has to be such a sprawling mess. We get what we have through our horrid town planning.

Here are a few extremely "new" communities that have taken a different track.
Poundbury, UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poundbury
This is a town that was created on land owned by Prince Charles. It's a small village but it planned excellently and allows people to walk, bike, etc.

Prospect New Town in Colorado
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_New_Town
None of the ugly tract homes with a huge three car garage dominating the facade.

Jakriborg, Sweden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakriborg
They design the streets to be small and winding to force people to slow down and encourage walking.

The point is this is stuff we can do, NOW. We don't have to continue down the road we have been. Designs like this will improve communities, the environment, lessen our dependence on oil from backward nations that hate us, and be healthier!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 PM

592 posts, read 2,805,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
In case you haven't noticed, I highly disagree with the alarmism associated with the idea that global warming is caused by man made CO2 emmissions. That doesn't mean I don't care about our environment or getting off our energy consumptive ways. I have put together a few ideas that I think would be more effective than carbon offsets/taxes and other such government scandals that look to filter money through government, slowing down all the processes.

1. Gas guzzling tax/gas sipping credits:
For someone buying a car, we could reward them for making a good choice in efficiency. I have broken it down as follows, however it could easily be modified different ways. But just for thought, as purchased the following would apply:
Car gets 45+ mpg average=$2500 tax deduction for the year.
Car gets 35-44mpg average=$2000 tax deduction for the year.
Car gets 30-34mpg average=$1500 tax deduction
Car gets 25-29mpg average=no tax deduction
car gets 20-24mpg average=$1000 gas guzzler tax
car gets 15-19mpg average=$2500 gas guzzler tax
car gets less than 15mpg average=$3500 gas guzzler tax

Of course, specific exclusions could be provided when there is a specific purpose that a gas guzzler is needed, such as heavy duty trucks for construction. Not a perfect idea, but a thought. Also, ability to burn ethanol would not allow exemption. Ethanol has MANY flaws right now.

Another thought would be to give tax deductions for specific projects at people's homes that are done to reduce energy consumption, such as the following:

Installing a tankless water heater
Installing solar panels
Installing Solatubes or other forms of skylight type devices
Installing air circulation devices
Installing rain water capture and filtration systems

Okay, these are just a few things me and my wife are planning to do around our house when we purchase it. The tax deduction on a car purchase would be cool too.

Also, for businesses, tax exemptions and credits could be created for projects that will reduce or eliminate pollution, enough to help offset the cost of the projects enough to be viable for a company. Then those who refuse to follow suit could be FINED, not taxed. The fines could go directly to a cleanup agency for the guilty business's area without having to filter through Washington and the IRS, as long as there were guidelines as to what cleanup would entail.

So instead of taxing and penalizing people, why doesn't the government motivate with tax incentives that are big enough to be worthwhile? I already know the answer, but this just shows to me that they aren't too serious about saving our environment.

These are just a few ideas. Any others?
I absolutely agree with your first paragraph and would like to add to your savings list..

Ground Source Heat Pumps

We have a GSHP system and it is 300% efficient, that is to say it produces 3 times the heat BTUs that it takes in energy. It is a little shy on production when it hits -20 with a wind, but it works great for us.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:32 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,168,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
We have a GSHP system and it is 300% efficient, that is to say it produces 3 times the heat BTUs that it takes in energy. It is a little shy on production when it hits -20 with a wind, but it works great for us.
Can you explain this or do you have a link to the manufacturer?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:08 PM

959 posts, read 2,355,942 times
This is a darn good thread...people proposing and giving examples of actual, practical solutions.

I am all for fuel-efficient engines...in EVERYTHING. But how can the government make that more affordable? (and they should)...I like the incentives idea VERY much. Right now building and outfitting a truly "green" home costs probably over a million dollars, straight up, for a modest dwelling. So, how bout we get outlay incentive money if we decide to go "green"...until green is actually affordable? I don't usually go for government interference, and I am probably in the category of an anti-environmentalist, but energy efficiency is a real issue, no matter what your stance on global warming.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,398,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
This is a darn good thread...people proposing and giving examples of actual, practical solutions.

I am all for fuel-efficient engines...in EVERYTHING. But how can the government make that more affordable? (and they should)...I like the incentives idea VERY much. Right now building and outfitting a truly "green" home costs probably over a million dollars, straight up, for a modest dwelling. So, how bout we get outlay incentive money if we decide to go "green"...until green is actually affordable? I don't usually go for government interference, and I am probably in the category of an anti-environmentalist, but energy efficiency is a real issue, no matter what your stance on global warming.
We may not agree on global warming but I think we both agree that to see a change this big (and fast) the government needs to give incentives to encourage investment and development in the sector. If more people spend money to upgrade their homes, cars, etc you are going to see more private investment plowed into the industry.

Remember that the government probably gave the greatest subsidy to the railroads when they were completing the rail line across the US. The federal government essentially gave away millions of acres for free because they wanted the line to be built fast.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM

I think there are probably ways to go green that are not outrageously expensive but we need to think outside the box and it might require some rethinking of building codes.

I read somewhere of packed earth houses using discarded tires in their wall construction that looked interesting for certain climates.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can you explain this or do you have a link to the manufacturer?
The system I have is called a Hydron Module. They are made in South Dakota, I believe the site is hydronmodule.com and I think they are built by Menonites. They are absolutely wonderful folks, offer wonderful customer service (in my dealings with them) and produce a wonderful product. I believe these systems have been used widely throughout Scandanavian countries but haven't really caught on here, mostly due to installation costs. I'm not smart enough to post a link, but I believe a google of hydron module will give it to you. It is pretty expensive to install, but I look at it in the long term ... plus the seventy five dollar a month bill is real nice. I don't know if you're familiar, but it involves burying (in my case) six hundred feet of pipe ten feet deep where the ground temp is a constant 56 degrees, (drilled wells or ponds can also be used) pumping liquid through it , the heat pump extracts the heat from the liquid puts it through a heat exchanger to heat, a condenser to cool. I love it and I would like to think I'm doing my part to save a little energy..

Old 05-04-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think there are probably ways to go green that are not outrageously expensive but we need to think outside the box and it might require some rethinking of building codes.

I read somewhere of packed earth houses using discarded tires in their wall construction that looked interesting for certain climates.
Another construction is hay bales...the density of packed grass is incredible. I was thinking (a rare event)last year about building a house from ocean containers (my lovely wifey thought I'd gone mad) and low and behold, there was a story about it on the news last night. We all have to do what we can..and screw the building codes..just another way for the big brother to get more..

Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
The system I have is called a Hydron Module. They are made in South Dakota, I believe the site is hydronmodule.com and I think they are built by Menonites. They are absolutely wonderful folks, offer wonderful customer service (in my dealings with them) and produce a wonderful product. I believe these systems have been used widely throughout Scandanavian countries but haven't really caught on here, mostly due to installation costs. I'm not smart enough to post a link, but I believe a google of hydron module will give it to you. It is pretty expensive to install, but I look at it in the long term ... plus the seventy five dollar a month bill is real nice. I don't know if you're familiar, but it involves burying (in my case) six hundred feet of pipe ten feet deep where the ground temp is a constant 56 degrees, (drilled wells or ponds can also be used) pumping liquid through it , the heat pump extracts the heat from the liquid puts it through a heat exchanger to heat, a condenser to cool. I love it and I would like to think I'm doing my part to save a little energy..

Thanks!

I'm surprised you only have to go down 10' in MN. I remember reading something about heat pumps years ago but they drilled quite deep, several hundred feet I believe, probably to a level that was a bit warmer than 56deg.

RE: Shipping containers there's a port company in NJ that has plans to build their new office complex from containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies