Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Way to use the OP's situation to plug the HC issue. Typical
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedaynh View Post
there ya go....make it a political thing. the OP did an excellent job of not making any kind of political comment yet you had to throw that statement in there. congratulations.

So these people getting cancer and dying isn't a health issue??

IF the Republicans have such great ideas for health care why don't they want it mentioned???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I hope you realize the irony that the VA is government operated and unlike Medicare or Medicaid; the Republicans actually give a s--t about it.

So just stop and think about how great medical care in the US would be if the VA is any indicator.

The VA is not an indicator of something that hasn't taken place yet.

Your "logic" says nothing should be done.....

The VA should simply take care of ALL who served in the armed forces and whoever doesn't think so should be kicked out of the VA administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
In most instances, you can't even get treatment through the VA unless you are retired from the military. I have met so many people who are vets of the gulf war and are simply mentally damaged. The military then cuts them loose...thank you very much, but don't ask for help with your problems once you are out.

I love your hypocrisy. A month ago, you were arguing the merits of the VA health care delivery system to justify govt run healthcare when physicians like myself were arguing that care in the VA was rationed. Just like a lawyer, you will argue both sides and pick whichever one suits your agenda

Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I love your hypocrisy. A month ago, you were arguing the merits of the VA health care delivery system to justify govt run healthcare when physicians like myself were arguing that care in the VA was rationed. Just like a lawyer, you will argue both sides and pick whichever one suits your agenda
VA works quite well.
The issue is with the military, which decides if your injury is military related, which make them the insurance company in this case, saying its not covered, so they won't pay. So the VA has to deny.

in short:
The rationing is being done by the military, not the VA.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
In most instances, you can't even get treatment through the VA unless you are retired from the military. I have met so many people who are vets of the gulf war and are simply mentally damaged. The military then cuts them loose...thank you very much, but don't ask for help with your problems once you are out.
You are offered health care if you are retired or have a service related disability.
Not as a matter of course, just like with any other job.
It is an all volunteer force.

The entire public is being poisoned, not just the military.
Remember Love Canal?
What about the levels of mercury found in fish?

Our air and water are poisoned.
Our environment is being destroyed, yet people don't want to be inconvenienced cleaning it up.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:52 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:

I am sorry that this situation occurred and do agree that it is poor form on the part of the government.

We have many patients at our VA clinic who are active duty military or had served one two year term in the military and qualify for VA health benefits. You should check with your local VA and see if you qualify. Many Vets are not aware that they DO qualify for benefits and fail to take advantage of it.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The VA is not an indicator of something that hasn't taken place yet.

Your "logic" says nothing should be done.....

The VA should simply take care of ALL who served in the armed forces and whoever doesn't think so should be kicked out of the VA administration.
My point is that if the VA is an indicator of what government run healthcare in the US will look like, I say enjoy your lousy HMO while you can.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why do people post without actually reading. I said that the VA is refusing to treat these people. The problem is not that the treatment is inadequate the problem is that they are not getting treated at all. Treatment is only half of the problem the other half of the problem is that their exposure was completely not necessary. We were not in the middle of a combat zone. We were on a military installation stateside and exposed to toxic chemicals that the Commandant knew were there.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Yeah I said it. Reading the News yesterday and I found the article below. Imagine my surprise to find that while I was a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune North Carolina the water was contaminated with fuel and all types of nasty chemicals and the Marine Corps knew and did not tell us. Instead they kept doing tests and on the water and neglected to tell the men and women on the base who had volunteered to serve their country they were drinking toxic water.

Now I find out that a lot of my Marine buddies are dieing or have died from Cancer. I started doing some research to find out that some of my friends from my time at the base have already died from cancer. No one is taking responsibility. These Marines who are no longer in the service cannot even get treatment from the VA. The Commandants of the Marine Corp from the 60's until now should all be castrated not to mention the secretaries of the Navy. Semper fi my arse.

Poisoned patriots? Stricken Marines seek help with illnesses - CNN.com

Thats the problem with idealism. Unfortunately, today's young can be just as misled to believe in the necessity of war as any other country's young soldiers have, when in the end, it really is all about profit.

Some Marines have spoken publicly about this, perhaps one of the greatest Marines in their storied history, General Smedley Butler, spoke out about it. Too often the more unjustified the war(s), the less likely the government who sends them to fight will care about them when they return (if they do)

Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
VA works quite well.
The issue is with the military, which decides if your injury is military related, which make them the insurance company in this case, saying its not covered, so they won't pay. So the VA has to deny.

in short:
The rationing is being done by the military, not the VA.
i'm not gonna claim that this is not the case where you live, but it certainly isn't where i live. where i am, i can't get an appointment with the va. they tell me that they are booked for three months out or something like that, and when i ask if i can make an appointment for 4 or 6 months away then, they tell me that they can't make appointments that far ahead.

so what are my options? travel 100 miles or more to the next closest––if i can get an appointment within 3 months over there...

that is a va problem, not a military problem (though the military certainly has more than a few of their own).

Old 09-27-2009, 11:48 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
hotair2, I recall this story on TV a few years ago (60 Minutes?) and got angry about it then, just like in the 1970's it made me mad when they denied PTSD existed for the Vietnam War vets, and they denied Gulf War Syndrome denied in the early 1990's, etc. Seems the only vets who were treated half right were the WW-II and Korean War vets. Otherwise, our government disowns you after you serve in uniform.

There are many stories now of Iraq war vets not being able to get treated for combat wounds because the vets "cannot prove" their wounds were combat related.

Anyone detect a pattern here?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies