Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times

Advertisements

Yeah I said it. Reading the News yesterday and I found the article below. Imagine my surprise to find that while I was a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune North Carolina the water was contaminated with fuel and all types of nasty chemicals and the Marine Corps knew and did not tell us. Instead they kept doing tests and on the water and neglected to tell the men and women on the base who had volunteered to serve their country they were drinking toxic water.

Now I find out that a lot of my Marine buddies are dieing or have died from Cancer. I started doing some research to find out that some of my friends from my time at the base have already died from cancer. No one is taking responsibility. These Marines who are no longer in the service cannot even get treatment from the VA. The Commandants of the Marine Corp from the 60's until now should all be castrated not to mention the secretaries of the Navy. Semper fi my arse.

Poisoned patriots? Stricken Marines seek help with illnesses - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yeah I said it. Reading the News yesterday and I found the article below. Imagine my surprise to find that while I was a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune North Carolina the water was contaminated with fuel and all types of nasty chemicals and the Marine Corps knew and did not tell us. Instead they kept doing tests and on the water and neglected to tell the men and women on the base who had volunteered to serve their country they were drinking toxic water.

Now I find out that a lot of my Marine buddies are dieing or have died from Cancer. I started doing some research to find out that some of my friends from my time at the base have already died from cancer. No one is taking responsibility. These Marines who are no longer in the service cannot even get treatment from the VA. The Commandants of the Marine Corp from the 60's until now should all be castrated not to mention the secretaries of the Navy. Semper fi my arse.

Poisoned patriots? Stricken Marines seek help with illnesses - CNN.com
Don't blame you...it's disgusting what they've done to these people....hope you will be OK.

But remember what the Republicans say...if you don't have health insurance or the obviously crooked VA doesn't help then just go to the ER or ask a charity to help you out....

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Everyone from the President on down to the kid on the street gives lip service to "support our troops" and taking care of vets. But in truth they send our troops into battle without proper armour, let them suck in all the agent orange they can breathe, swallow poison water, get shots of stuff that hasn't been fully tested, and electrocute them in the showers installed by cut rate electricians that are then hired to fix the showers that they messed up in the first place. And if they live through active duty they can just hope and pray that they get their vet care through a vet hospital that isn't still in the cut back stage. I could go on and on but unless we start putting our money where our mouth is nothing will change. We will keep throwing billions and billions of dollars into the coffers of the war profiteers like Haliburton while our soldiers keep on getting the shaft.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Everyone from the President on down to the kid on the street gives lip service to "support our troops" and taking care of vets. But in truth they send our troops into battle without proper armour, let them suck in all the agent orange they can breathe, swallow poison water, get shots of stuff that hasn't been fully tested, and electrocute them in the showers installed by cut rate electricians that are then hired to fix the showers that they messed up in the first place. And if they live through active duty they can just hope and pray that they get their vet care through a vet hospital that isn't still in the cut back stage. I could go on and on but unless we start putting our money where our mouth is nothing will change. We will keep throwing billions and billions of dollars into the coffers of the war profiteers like Haliburton while our soldiers keep on getting the shaft.
In most instances, you can't even get treatment through the VA unless you are retired from the military. I have met so many people who are vets of the gulf war and are simply mentally damaged. The military then cuts them loose...thank you very much, but don't ask for help with your problems once you are out.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
does the Tuskegee Airmen ring a bell? they were Guinea pigs too

Old 09-26-2009, 09:58 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

But remember what the Republicans say...if you don't have health insurance or the obviously crooked VA doesn't help then just go to the ER or ask a charity to help you out....
Way to use the OP's situation to plug the HC issue. Typical

Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 PM

38 posts, read 51,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Don't blame you...it's disgusting what they've done to these people....hope you will be OK.

there ya go....make it a political thing. the OP did an excellent job of not making any kind of political comment yet you had to throw that statement in there. congratulations.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Way to use the OP's situation to plug the HC issue. Typical
yeah.....................reality sucks.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Military members are the best test subjects. They have been for hundreds of years.
Follow orders or get court martialed, usually young and healthy, and can be dumped and shafted with little blowback.

The blowfish who proclaim their "leadership" status really aren't, usually, in the true sense of the word.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
The health and safety issues that happen on military bases are pretty bad. I can attest to that first hand. I worked for the Army for ten years, civilian contractor, and this is one of the biggest reasons I quit the job. Chemicals, asbestos floating around like a snowstorm, handling explosives like loaves of bread, three of my former co-workers are now dead from rare forms of cancer and another is crippled from a rare spinal disorder, and these are just examples from my former department. I cannot deny that the DoD sweeps some bad s*** under the rug, and people are afraid to blow the whistle. Afraid for their jobs. Civilian contractors are just as bad, if not worse, than the military itself in this regard. It's all about the bottom line, and people are just another disposable commodity. I have a LOT of stuff documented from my time on that base. It was bad. If I thought it would do a shred of good, I'd send the things I have up the chain, but I figger it would not make any difference. Plausible deniability. I saw some BAD stuff get swept under the rug there. Telling the safety and environmental dept about it earned me a trip to the GM's office and a pile of threats, so, I started my own business and moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies