Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,507,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I love poll results, especially when they're accompanied by colorful graphs and charts! The thing I love most is that if you look way down at the bottom, you'll see the only statistic that really matters: the number of people polled. In this case, 1,005.

Excuse me? Someone asked 1,005 people some questions and then extrapolated that to "prove" what a nation of almost 300 million thinks? Evidently, the tinfoil hat brigade has been active.
You obviously don't undestand how polling works. You don't poll 300 million people for Chrissakes. You get a random sample of the population. Jeez, this is basic statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,918,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Graphic with the latest poll results. So much for a "center right" country.
Your chart doesnt support the title of your thread due to the questions asked.

I'm sure if people were asked

"Do you think all americans should have a job instead of receiving welfare".. The answer would be yes, and then right, since the left is all about welfare and supporting one another.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You obviously don't undestand how polling works. You don't poll 300 million people for Chrissakes. You get a random sample of the population. Jeez, this is basic statistics.
Yes but were these 1005 individuals from Chicago, Detroit, or where? What calculates to 20 people per state does not provide enough data to really analize it properly, especially considering that we dont know where they polled individuals from.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,507,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes but were these 1005 individuals from Chicago, Detroit, or where? What calculates to 20 people per state does not provide enough data to really analize it properly, especially considering that we dont know where they polled individuals from.

You can check out the polling methodology from NBC/WSJ for details.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,051,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
gee, who shoves it down our throat every waking day?
The only thing amazing about this poll (besides the fact that anyone trusts anything from nbc) is that it isn't even further in the blue direction.
BTW, when was the last time any of the msm's let a Republican even mention an alternative plan on the air? hint: it won't happen.
Congressman Cantor had his chance and I do not think he would want this aired on NBC or any other large network station. It was downright shameful and not what anyone on the left or right would want a relative or friend of theirs to be told when they are in dire need of health care. This is not a plan...this is a sad depiction of what the representatives that are in the pockets of the health insurance lobbyists have to offer.

Cantor tells uninsured woman with growing tumors to Find Charity

Daily Kos: Cantor tells uninsured woman with growing tumors to Find Charity

Old 09-27-2009, 08:28 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I love poll results, especially when they're accompanied by colorful graphs and charts! The thing I love most is that if you look way down at the bottom, you'll see the only statistic that really matters: the number of people polled. In this case, 1,005.

Excuse me? Someone asked 1,005 people some questions and then extrapolated that to "prove" what a nation of almost 300 million thinks? Evidently, the tinfoil hat brigade has been active.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
this poll is meaningless. 1,000 people? sorry but hardly a poll speaking for America. also, I just have to add, note that even the liberals don't think Obama is being honest/forthright about his 'death care'.
You two need to take basic statistics. It isn't hard. I got an "A".

Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,204,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your chart doesnt support the title of your thread due to the questions asked.

I'm sure if people were asked

"Do you think all americans should have a job instead of receiving welfare".. The answer would be yes, and then right, since the left is all about welfare and supporting one another.
They should conduct a poll: "Do you have simplistic views of the political opposition based on stereotypes?"

Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
The real poll that counted was the election. It showed that Obama won in a very devided nation and that independentscontrol both that and the two elctions Bush won before that. polls also show that Oabma approval has slipped bad on perfromance since then. So just wait for the next pendullum swing as Biden says.Rewmeber that in a liitle over two years of demcratic leadership congress had lower numbers than Bush when he left office.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,945,142 times
It's Sunday, and I'm feeling uncommonly charitable.

Similar questions with poll 004 Americans represent 260 million people percent margin error

Old 09-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You two need to take basic statistics. It isn't hard. I got an "A".
Since you claim to have received an "A", then maybe you can connect the dots from the

"Who is to blame"

questions asked, to the OP's claim that the country isnt center right. The questions had nothing to do with left/right.. Questions had nothing to do with where one stands on a political spectrum..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies