Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:29 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,103,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Iran Test Fires 2 Short-Range Missiles, doesn't Iran make Obama look like a fool!

Considering this is the original topic, I'm still trying to understand how this makes Obama or anyone for that matter, look a fool.
Considering the OP I stopped trying to figure anything out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 01:55 PM

46,896 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
Iran Test Fires 2 Short-Range Missiles, doesn't Iran make Obama look like a fool!

Considering this is the original topic, I'm still trying to understand how this makes Obama or anyone for that matter, look a fool.
In the minds of rational people, it doesn't. Iran is making a little dog-and-pony show, trying to demonstrate how they're such a frightful military power. A symbolic gesture, having only what significance we ascribe to it. Notice how it's about how people look? Appearance over substance.

It is surprising (and sad) to see how people who claim to have the US' best interest at heart are eagerly lining up for their turn to beat Iran's propaganda drum.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,171,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In the minds of rational people, it doesn't. Iran is making a little dog-and-pony show, trying to demonstrate how they're such a frightful military power. A symbolic gesture, having only what significance we ascribe to it. Notice how it's about how people look? Appearance over substance.

It is surprising (and sad) to see how people who claim to have the US' best interest at heart are eagerly lining up for their turn to beat Iran's propaganda drum.

In light of all the recent escalating rhetoric on Iran's nuclear program, I think it is pretty obvious what the test of two short ranged missiles were about.

I can't help but picture in my mind, Richard Pryor in the movie Stir Crazy where they first get in prison and Richard Pryor is trying to teach Gene Wilder how to "act bad". Starts in on his strut... we bad... yeah, we bad...

I suppose I'm should be afraid or concerned over these Iranian missile test, but for some reason, I can only laugh.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,035,240 times
Iran has been doing stuff like this for years, nearly a decade, and everyone just ignored them as they developed more nuclear and missile capability. I think it makes the international community look like fools for that long because they just ignored the problem, and are now crying to the global cops to do something.

If you put this on one person 9 months in power in the middle of a terrible recession, you are a fool as much as they are. He's doing more then anyone has in the last 8 years, which would have been less risky and more able to be funded.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM

46,896 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
I suppose I'm should be afraid or concerned over these Iranian missile test, but for some reason, I can only laugh.
Meh. I may be showing my age here, but having grown up (and carried a rifle) in Europe during the cold war, wetting my pants over an unfriendly country possibly having nuclear weapons sometimes soon seems so - well, wussy. We were looking 10000 warheads straight in the eye and tried to keep going. No we're supposed to freak over, say, 5?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:10 PM

183 posts, read 114,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let's see...hmmm.

Let's say I walk into a barroom and this drunk gets in my face, my first response is, "Dude, come on, let's talk this out." Instead of the drunk dupe calming down, he gets up in my face, so I tell him, "Dude, look, I offered to talk about what's bothering you but that doesn't seem to be what you are interested, so either you sit down or I will sit you down." Where is the mixed signal? I'm sober, I'm stronger, and I know for a fact that I can take this guy down any time that I choose to, so what did I lose by trying to talk first? Nothing.

Escalating the troops in Afghanistan was the thing that need to be done for 7 years, so when you get a chance to finally do it, you do it. Only problem is that situation had deteriorated (out of neglect) for so long that the meager "escalation", as you call it, did change the dynamics. Then you find out that the present government of Afghanistan is totally corrupt and hijacks the election. It's kind of tough to pursue a counter insurgent war when the basis of any such war is to support a legitimate alternative to the insurgents. When you don't have a legitimate alternative... you got no counter-insurgency. Get where I'm going?

Further, some folks only seem to dwell on only the leaked part of the McCyrstals report, which appears from most credible subsequent reports to layout a bit more detail than, "hey we just need more troops" (Westmoreland anyone?). Instead of following in Johnson's tragic footsteps, Obama's got enough brains to know that the American public isn't in this for the long haul, and the that the long haul just might not be worth it, so he has the temerity to stop, and think before writing checks that our collective asses can't cash. What a maroon? Not!

if life and war were only as simple as simple minded Americans.

You left out the part where the drunk guy's friend strangles your baby sister and swears he'll come back someday when you lest expect and kill the rest of your family. Still in control sober guy?

Obama only does one thing and that is run for office. He is now in office and is unsure what to do. This is mostly due to the fact that he is not a leader. He doesn't do things that he can't sell. He doesn't do things that will harm his career. He is still the point to everything he does. Now he finds himself in a situation in which whatever he does, his popularity will likely decline. He needs more time to consider all the ramifications of what he does next? For what purpose? Those of you who voted for that stuffed suit are now getting that for which you voted.

Bush paid a huge political price to effectively deal with Islamic terrorism. The presidents who were in office before him were unwilling to pay that price. I applaud Bush for doing what was right in spite of the enormous personal cost. Obama is now at a point where he must do what Bush did. He has to sacrifice his popularity for the benefit of the nation's security. Let's see if our megalomaniac in chief is able to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies