Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Are you not listening? There will be no trial.

He goes straight to jail to do the time.
I'm now lost. According to Nancy Grace he hadn't received a sentence. There must be additional time for fleeing the country to avoid further consequences.

This should have been resolved between attorneys years ago.

In one article it said that the LAPD had issued warrants for him when they knew he was receiving awards in other European countries but he generally learned of this and didn't travel at such times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So, does her desire for it to go away trump society's desire for justice to be served?
I don't think her desire should be taken in consideration at all. He fled the country and is a fugitive. Personally, I think he should have jail time.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
A. He's already pled guilty there is no need for a retrial.

B. What the victim wants is - legally speaking - irrellevant. It can be taken into consideration, but the prosectuor tries a defendant in the name of the people, not the victim. Also he fled, commiting another crime in addition to the rape.

C. There is no statute of limitiation for a convicted fugitive.

D. Who really thinks he's "been punished" for his crime?. Since when has exile ever been considered an adequete setance for the crime of rape?

He'll have plenty of time to work on his directors cut of "Chinatown" in the Pelican Bay DOC theater

Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
A. He's already pled guilty there is no need for a retrial.

B. What the victim wants is - legally speaking - irrellevant. It can be taken into consideration, but the prosectuor tries a defendant in the name of the people, not the victim. Also he fled, commiting another crime in addition to the rape.

C. There is no statute of limitiation for a convicted fugitive.

D. Who really thinks he's "been punished" for his crime?. Since when has exile ever been considered an adequete setance for the crime of rape?

He'll have plenty of time to work on his directors cut of "Chinatown" in the Pelican Bay DOC theater

Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I guess no one has noticed that the woman in this case wants all charges to be dismissed?
She is not the law. He fled and he should be punished NOW!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
It doews matter if the woman does because he is already been found guilty.Its not presonal choice when it's a 13 years old. The guy is a pervert.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:59 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times
Quote:
You are correct here.
No, he is not correct. A plea was presented, the judge accepted the plea and then, he changed his mind.

The judge should never have areed to the plea bargain. The problem is he did agree. My question still stands, what are the legal implications here? Can a judge legally do this?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:01 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
No, he is not correct. A plea was presented, the judge accepted the plea and then, he changed his mind.

The judge should never have areed to the plea bargain. The problem is he did agree. My question still stands, what are the legal implications here? Can a judge legally do this?
apparently so or he would not have fled

Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times
Quote:
Are you not listening? There will be no trial.

He goes straight to jail to do the time.
Are you not reading?? The judge agreed to the plea bargain and then he changed his mind. I'm not a lawyer(but I did read To Kill a Mockingbird) so I may be wrong but I think that when the judge changed the conditions under which Polanski pled guilty, Polanski can withdraw his guilty plea. Then, guess what? A trial!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Are you not reading?? The judge agreed to the plea bargain and then he changed his mind. I'm not a lawyer(but I did read To Kill a Mockingbird) so I may be wrong but I think that when the judge changed the conditions under which Polanski pled guilty, Polanski can withdraw his guilty plea. Then, guess what? A trial!

In general, no he can't change his plea. Saw that in Court yesterday, defense and State's Attorney agreed on a plea, the Judge didn't like it and tacked on more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies