Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I picked Afghanistan and found this:
This year, Nangarhar was declared poppy-free by the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime – dropping from almost 20,000 hectares (200,000 square meters) in 2007. [quoted from site]

Unfortunately, these pop up when you Google Afghanistan and poppy production. Somebody didn't tell the truth...wonder who?

Afghanistan Conflict Monitor: Afghanistan Opium Poppy Cultivation Highlighted in UNODC Annual Report 2008
Russia alarmed by growing opium poppy production in Afghanistan - Russian presidential envoy. | Article from Poland Business News | HighBeam Research

CentreRight: Opium poppy production in the UK
This year, Nangarhar was declared poppy-free by the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime – dropping from almost 20,000 hectares (200,000 square meters) in 2007.

Your source:

Quote:
Article from:Poland Business News Article date:September 6, 2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Here's one achievement I can think of: the Republicans managed to gather all the bigots and religious nutcases under one tent.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Budget management under the Bush administration was a conservative achievement? You've got to be joking.
Cherry pick away...

It was easily known the worst liberal mouthpieces on the forum would enter this thread foaming at the mouth. Look no surprises. Predictable.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The "Health Care" link talks about Bush's accompishments in 'health around the world'. While admirable, he didn't do much of anything to help people in the US afford health care.
So now you expected Bush to have saved the world along with the US. Do you expect the same from Obama?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:35 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Cherry pick away...

It was easily known the worst liberal mouthpieces on the forum would enter this thread foaming at the mouth. Look no surprises. Predictable.
You touted budget management as one conservative achievement. Clearly you are joking.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
The republican party is defined by keeping the status quo. Therefore, you cannot come up with any true achievments, i.e. change. Well, I take that back ... Teddy Roosevelt established the National parks service, which rankled the crap out of the republican party, oh phooey, TR rankled the gray hairs out of the republican party ... he was downright lib-rul by today's standards ... between his trust busting and conservation efforts .. god i love that guy.
I thought the Democrats were the party that wanted to maintain the status quo ... Even though our public schools are failing our kids and parents are calling for reforms, the democrats and their unions are fighting against reform. Social security is nearly bankrupt but the demmies want to KEEP social security instead of looking at alternatives. Those are two examples that demonstrate that the democrats are the party of the status quo.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hmmm, read through them and found a bunch of fluf. The ONLY thing of an substance was homeland security, the rest were failures in that they change little to nothing. While we are at it Bush was no Conservative, a borrow and spend attitude along with an utter lack of diplomatic skills and a rush into conflicts without intel is proof enough he was no conservative.

Casper
Right... And I suppose a $700 billion dollar stimulus was all paid for. You negate his achievements in Africa? Adding the department of Homeland Security. Giving a means to interact between all agencies?

These are achievements even if you can't seem to put them together.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I clicked on a few, and was unimpressed. No Child Left Behind? That is considered an utter failure by every teacher I know.
Quote:
In fourth-grade reading and in fourth and eighth-grade math, Hispanic students set new achievement records. In reading, Hispanic eighth-graders matched their all-time high.

Since 2002, fourth-graders have shown significant increases in reading achievement, with the highest rate of improvement coming among lower-performing students. As a result, in 2007, U.S. fourth-graders achieved their highest reading scores on record.

All students are increasing achievement in math. Since 2003, significant gains in math have occurred for both higher- and lower-performing children in both fourth- and eighth grades, and in 2007, both fourth- and eighth- graders posted their highest math scores on record.
I'm appalled at your hatred for fourth and eighth graders. It's truly disgusting.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I picked one at random, Africa, and guess what popped up? Darfur.... now there's a great success story!
Quote:
Humanitarian Aid and Human Rights. The United States is the leading international donor to Sudan, providing more than $5 billion in assistance to Sudan since 2005, including $3.7 billion in humanitarian and peacekeeping assistance to Darfur.

More than 30 U.S. Government partners are currently implementing programs to provide food, health, shelter, water, and other life-saving services, in the face of the many challenges caused by escalating banditry, bureaucratic impediments, and attacks on humanitarian staff.

Peacekeeping. The United States supports the rapid deployment of 26,000 United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) peacekeepers.

Earlier this year, the President made available $100 million in U.S. funding to augment the training and equipping of African peacekeepers pledged to deploy under UNAMID.

Economic Sanctions. Since violence erupted in Darfur in 2003, the United States has imposed economic sanctions on seven Sudanese individuals responsible for violence in Darfur and on more than 160 companies owned or controlled by the Government of Sudan (GOS).

Political Process. The United States supports the efforts of the United Nations-African Union Joint Chief Mediator Bassolé in renewing a political process between the GOS and those rebel groups that did not sign the 2006 Darfur Peace Agreement (DPA), including through ongoing talks in Doha, Qatar.
I guess you wanted him to walk on water and make water into wine too.... Another disgusting post that demeans any efforts made at doing anything for Africa. I guess he could have taken the Clinton path...

Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Default Status Quo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I thought the Democrats were the party that wanted to maintain the status quo ... Even though our public schools are failing our kids and parents are calling for reforms, the democrats and their unions are fighting against reform. Social security is nearly bankrupt but the demmies want to KEEP social security instead of looking at alternatives. Those are two examples that demonstrate that the democrats are the party of the status quo.

YouTube - Democrats Boo Bush During 2005 SOTU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies