Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 PM

843 posts, read 1,301,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Instead of lumping all kids together, maybe the classes should be split up between high achievers, normal achievers and low achievers (to be remediated). If the curriculum is lowered to constantly meet the needs of low achievers, don't you think that the other students will be climbing the walls with boredom? This is precisely why so many high IQ students underperform because they are not receiving the intellectual stimulation that they need to thrive academically. I was one of those students who had high potential but graduated from HS with a 2.75 average as I was not motivated to try harder due to boredom. As soon as I got to college (Thank GOD I miraculously got into a university instead of community college), I began to notice a sharp increase in my GPA due to the added rigors of college work.
This would work. Except it might hurt someone's feelings. So it will never happen. LOLs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 PM

4,574 posts, read 4,121,408 times
Quote:
I agree that we need to get back to the days of single family incomes as it is apparent that kids are not receiving adequate supervision. The fact that today's kids are spending too much time watching tv or playing video games is a testimony of the lack of supervision received at home. You can blame woman's lib for the necessity of dual family incomes as they fought hard for women's rights to be in the workplace. With more folks in the workplace, wages have gone down and a single wage cannot keep pace with inflation. Woman's lib has done more harm than good in our society. (Yes, I'm a woman)!
Thats capitalism. People could pay more, so cost of living has become inflated because those with the goods could demand more. Women's lib is fine, it shouldn't matter, so long as one parent is home when the kid gets home.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,067,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I'm sorry high school was so dull for you, I'm not opposed to tracking which is what you are favoring. It still doesn't fix our problem. Our best can compete with the world's best. Our middle and lower are what drags us down.

Kids also fail not because of boredom, but because of not doing the work and then getting frustrated when they are behind. Get the parents to get kids to do the homework.
Maybe if we separated the classes by ability versus random assignment, maybe children's educational needs could be better met. The one-size-fits-all curriculum does not work!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Ridiculous.
Supposed you have a better explanation for this?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
This would work. Except it might hurt someone's feelings. So it will never happen. LOLs.
I'd rather risk "hurting feelings" during school versus having the underachievers get their overinflated egos bruised while trying to look for a job as an adult. No pain, no gain.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 PM

843 posts, read 1,301,238 times
Quote:
I'd rather risk "hurting feelings" during school versus having the underachievers get their overinflated egos bruised while trying to look for a job as an adult. No pain, no gain.

I would to. Just saying the way society is today we want to protect everyone from everything. We want everything to be "nice"

Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Who cares if the school reforms do not benefits unions or teachers! This should be solely about what's in the best interests of students. If the teachers and their unions don't like it, tough! We need to move past this culture of teachers rights and focus more on children's education. After all, this is what we are paying taxes for. While we are at it, let's get rid of the top heavily, overpaid management and pour more of the funding inside the classroom where teachers do not have to pay for the supplies out of pocket (which is ridiculus!).
This cracks me up. half of new teachers leave in 3 years (I was one of them) because the crap the parents and the districts give them is not worth getting paid less than people with associates degrees. Me and all the teachers I know that quit, don't want 6 figure salaries. We want less stress. (better behaved kids, parents that wouldn't complain because their kid didn't do the work and is now complaining, going home to a horrible crime filled apartment complex)

Schools continuously have a teacher shortage and overgrown classroom size because they ignore teachers rights just like you say.

Get the unions and the districts to work together. If you want to ram reform down teachers throats without giving something in return, then get used to 50 kid classroom sizes because a lot of teachers won't put up with it and will just look for something less frustrating than being villified by you.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Thats capitalism. People could pay more, so cost of living has become inflated because those with the goods could demand more. Women's lib is fine, it shouldn't matter, so long as one parent is home when the kid gets home.
Woman's lib was all about liberating woman out from the confines of the home, which was a dismal failure for our children and economy. That's for another thread.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
I would to. Just saying the way society is today we want to protect everyone from everything. We want everything to be "nice"
I know that's what you meant. Too bad our children are being protected from the realities of failures versus learning from their failures and growing.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe if we separated the classes by ability versus random assignment, maybe children's educational needs could be better met. The one-size-fits-all curriculum does not work!
Agreed to a point. A lot of studies have shown that mainstreaming kids benefits the low end a lot, they learn from their high achieving peers, while the high achieving kids lose only a fraction. This should stop in 6th or 7th grade and let the high achievers go.

I want to know where you're going to find the staff for this. In a 30 kid classroom, no matter how you group them, you're going to have a spectrum of learners and some are going to get bored or left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies