Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Location: California
37,153 posts, read 42,269,129 times
Reputation: 35040

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
He wants to reform so much...maybe he should start his own country...it seems Mr. Obama is very unhappy overhere.
So are you, according to most of your posts. What country are you going to go live in? See, Obama is PRESIDENT, and as such it's actually his JOB to do what he is doing. You are free to go however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: the very edge of the continent
89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Reputation: 13739
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Ive answered you at length in that other thread on this topic. Education begins at home. Basic middle class parents should be able to give their children the fundamentals of a decent education (a love for numbers, a love for science, a love of reading) and to oversee what education they receive outside of the home. If they cant, or they dont know what that means... maybe they´re overpaid at their jobs?

In which case Im not surprised they´re whining for help.
What a bogus, self-serving response. You've CLEARLY disregarded ALL of our country's public education system's multitude of problems, over which parents have little to no control.

An award winning college professor has even documented his experience with trying to reform his children's supposedly 'one of the best' public school system in his book:
Amazon.com: Class Warfare: Besieged Schools, Bewildered Parents, Betrayed Kids and the Attack on Excellence (9781594030444): J. Martin Rochester: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 02:53 PM
 
1,162 posts, read 2,109,397 times
Reputation: 360
remember this is a man who from his parents on has been surrounded by America haters and we all know what his wife thinks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
7,835 posts, read 8,449,043 times
Reputation: 8564
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post

I wasn't here to fight.

And you have nothing either.

Doesn't matter if Bush wanted creationism taught. He didn't do anything about requiring it be taught. So your point is drivel.

Obama said he wants single payer healthcare. Then he turns around and says he doesn't. But then gets upset when people says he wants it.

Bye Bye.
First you misrepresent what I said in my post. Then you made accusations against me based on erroneous ASSumptions and insert topics that aren't even part of the discussion. Then you insult me with your "sweetie pies" and "let the grown people discuss these serious issues" crap. When I provide links and cites to back up my claims, you provide nothing more than a hand-wave and some smilie faces, along with more insults, but I'm posting drivel? And now you feign innocence and claim to not have wanted a fight?

Riiiiiiiiiiight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 02:59 PM
 
35,016 posts, read 39,194,965 times
Reputation: 6195
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
I wasn't here to fight.

And you have nothing either.

Doesn't matter if Bush wanted creationism taught. He didn't do anything about requiring it be taught. So your point is drivel.

Obama said he wants single payer healthcare. Then he turns around and says he doesn't. But then gets upset when people says he wants it.


I find you boorish. Being all paranoid because the former president liked the idea of teaching creationism. He didn't do it, yet that's all you want to talk about? Yawn.

Bye Bye.
¨If schools allow any religious speech at the graduation ceremony, most are aware that they could face a lawsuit. But now, if they don't - according to the dictates of NCLB - they could risk losing federal funds.
***
¨A provision in NCLB mandates that if a school has any policy in place that curtails a student's right to "religious expression" as spelled out in recent government guidelines, it could lose its federal funding.¨

Religion-free zone? | csmonitor.com

The falling back on namecalling and frantic attempts to divert, because you´ve got nothing, is SOP rightie ¨argument¨ style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
7,835 posts, read 8,449,043 times
Reputation: 8564
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post

I wasn't here to fight.

And you have nothing either.

Doesn't matter if Bush wanted creationism taught. He didn't do anything about requiring it be taught. So your point is drivel.

Obama said he wants single payer healthcare. Then he turns around and says he doesn't. But then gets upset when people says he wants it.


I find you boorish. Being all paranoid because the former president liked the idea of teaching creationism. He didn't do it, yet that's all you want to talk about? Yawn.

Bye Bye.
Nice edit, adding a personal attack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 03:17 PM
 
507 posts, read 679,056 times
Reputation: 364
Clearly some serious reforms need to be made. President Bush understood this, and started NCLB (though I do think many aspects of the program were troublesome). I really have no issues with kids either going year round or staying in school longer during the day. Take the Japanese education system for example. Though many people find this excessive, kids in that system go to school, then to after school programs, and then many go to "cram school" to prepare school placement test and other studies. I tutored two Japanese girls while their father attended business school here. When they were getting ready to return to Japan, they were saddened by the fact that they would have to start going back to school all day, but they understood that it was necessary. Their parents, on the other hand, were excited because they thought the school days here were too short.

I'm not suggesting that American kids go to school that long, I think having an after school program, or allowing kids to stay after school to study, should not be seen as a punishment. The culture here needs an attitude shift, and a lot of that attitude needs to come from home. Children are not made to value the seriousness and importance of their education. During the fall season in high school, I stayed at school every night until 9p because I had tennis and marching band. I actually enjoyed being there because all of my friends did the same thing, and we studied together between activities. My mom was happy because she knew where I was, and I did not spend my time at home bored and doing nothing. I don't think having longer school hours is necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 03:25 PM
 
Location: the very edge of the continent
89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Reputation: 13739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If we are paying more $$$ per kid but are lagging behind other nations, something is seriously wrong with this picture. The issues are inept educrats running the systems, lack of accountability and a system that caters to the low achievers at the expense of higher achievers.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 03:39 PM
 
7,967 posts, read 9,182,103 times
Reputation: 9454
I wonder which subject was cut in Burlington NJ so the kids could learn the "Obama song"? Yeah, that was good stewardship of the childrens' time by the educational system.

If this is an example of the decisions school systems make in educating children, its time to start over completely. Maybe its not the length of the school year that is keeping results low, its the quality of some of the teachers and administrators hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,963 posts, read 12,449,050 times
Reputation: 3169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree that we need to get back to the days of single family incomes as it is apparent that kids are not receiving adequate supervision. The fact that today's kids are spending too much time watching tv or playing video games is a testimony of the lack of supervision received at home. You can blame woman's lib for the necessity of dual family incomes as they fought hard for women's rights to be in the workplace. With more folks in the workplace, wages have gone down and a single wage cannot keep pace with inflation. Woman's lib has done more harm than good in our society. (Yes, I'm a woman)!


Amen to that! And I am a woman also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top