Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am no advocate for teachers, but they do work a full 8 hour day, before and after the students leave, and many take home work, as well. I think it's unfair to say they only wok 6 hours. That is the student contact time, but there's more to a teaching job than that.
Exactly! It isn't fair to say that a teacher only works the hours that they are teaching as papers and tests have to be graded, etc. Often times, teachers have to stay past 8 hours to get caught up on the grading paperwork. Teachers also have to put in hours in the summer for staff meetings and training so they don't get the entire summer off as many have suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What exacting does "you've been getting what you want for several years now" mean?
Kids are separated onto expectation tracks in elementary school. ¨I do like the idea of separating them in middle and high schools.¨

Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM

37,122 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
I want him to stop sticking his nose into where it doesn't belong.
OMG!!!!

Overhauling public schools needs to happen and it is EXACTLY what our President should be doing. These are public schools so it's not a matter of the government sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong...IT BELONGS!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW PLACES IT TOTALLY BELONGS!!! Everyone wants to yell about vouchers, choice, etc. because public schools have problems so they SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE WORKING TO FIX THEM. It makes more sense and is more logical to fix what we have in place to do anything else. People are stupid if they don't see that.

Whatever we do I think we have to get to year round schooling, it's just the most logical thing ever and it's rediculous that we hold on to "traditions" like summer vacation for no good reason while complaining that the schools suck. It can easily be set up so there are the same number of days off as their are now but spread out over the course of the year. Or maybe we should change that too.

Business are starting to change the traditional work week becasuse it makes more sense and the current model isn't working. Schools need to do the same thing. I can't believe anyone would even question this much less make it an anti-Obama rant. May as well "blame" him if jobs are created....it's just that rediculous.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Just so we are all on the same page, I have no issue with educating children. I have an issue with a system that already spends more per capita than our counterparts wanting even more money. Our kids spend more time in the classroom than other nation's kids and still perform worse. We look to other nations for ideas on how to reform healthcare. Why not for education as well?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Overhauling public schools needs to happen and it is EXACTLY what our President should be doing. These are public schools so it's not a matter of the government sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong...IT BELONGS!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW PLACES IT TOTALLY BELONGS!!! Everyone wants to yell about vouchers, choice, etc. because public schools have problems so they SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE WORKING TO FIX THEM. It makes more sense and is more logical to fix what we have in place to do anything else. People are stupid if they don't see that.

Whatever we do I think we have to get to year round schooling, it's just the most logical thing ever and it's rediculous that we hold on to "traditions" like summer vacation for no good reason while complaining that the schools suck. It can easily be set up so there are the same number of days off as their are now but spread out over the course of the year.
my keyboard´s messed up so I cant do the thumbs up ok sign, but thumbs up ok x 12!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Whatever we do I think we have to get to year round schooling, it's just the most logical thing ever and it's rediculous that we hold on to "traditions" like summer vacation for no good reason while complaining that the schools suck. It can easily be set up so there are the same number of days off as their are now but spread out over the course of the year.
Until curricula reforms take place, there is no point in extending the time the children are in classes until academics are emphasized more.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Just so we are all on the same page, I have no issue with educating children. I have an issue with a system that already spends more per capita than our counterparts wanting even more money. Our kids spend more time in the classroom than other nation's kids and still perform worse. We look to other nations for ideas on how to reform healthcare. Why not for education as well?
Exactly! If we are paying more $$$ per kid but are lagging behind other nations, something is seriously wrong with this picture. The issues are inept educrats running the systems, lack of accountability and a system that caters to the low achievers at the expense of higher achievers.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
While I agree that we need to reform education we have to keep a few things in mind:

1) Keeping kids in school longer will only make them hate it even more and hence they will learn even less. I think we should have shorter days but a longer year, no weekend school. How about 4 hour days 4 days a week (Monday through Thursday with a 3 day weekend) from the end of August until the end of July with a one month summer vacation?

2) If anything it is a question of the curriculum, we need to focus more on the basics of math, reading, writing, and the foundations of American history/culture/government and leave the high level stuff until the last half of high school. How can we expect that to do trig if they can't even handle basic adding and subtracting? How can we expect them to handle the responsibility of voting if half of them can't even name our first president? How can we expect them to write big huge papers on standardized tests if they don't know the difference between there and their?

3) The federal government has no right to stick it's noses in education, education is a STATE government responsibility. The job of the federal government is to provide for the common defense of the people (ex. the military) and for foreign affairs. The Constitution says nothing about the federal government and education, the federal Dept. of Education was not even created until 1979, prior to that the states had total control over education.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Until curricula reforms take place, there is no point in extending the time the children are in classes until academics are emphasized more.
One step at a time. Better to do something than do nothing just because you can't do everything all at once. Besides, I don't see this being something that is supposed to just suddenly take place. But I'm THRILLED to see attention being given to the public schools. Everyone should be.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
While I agree that we need to reform education we have to keep a few things in mind:

1) Keeping kids in school longer will only make them hate it even more and hence they will learn even less. I think we should have shorter days but a longer year, no weekend school. How about 4 hour days 4 days a week (Monday through Thursday with a 3 day weekend) from the end of August until the end of July with a one month summer vacation?

2) If anything it is a question of the curriculum, we need to focus more on the basics of math, reading, writing, and the foundations of American history/culture/government and leave the high level stuff until the last half of high school. How can we expect that to do trig if they can't even handle basic adding and subtracting? How can we expect them to handle the responsibility of voting if half of them can't even name our first president? How can we expect them to write big huge papers on standardized tests if they don't know the difference between there and their?
Uhh...my kids never HATED school. I think you are very wrong. We as a society (and I mean family and parents) need to make sure kids view education as something positive that is a priveledge to get. Not just something that gets in the way of play time or whatever. That isn't something the government can fix.
I agree that the curriculum needs to be more focused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies