U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,995,495 times

Advertisements

More school: Obama would curtail summer vacation - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_us/us_more_school - broken link)

I mean as long as we are going to bankrupt the country, we might as well do it up right. Go Obama!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,908,007 times
Ah, I see..

So instead of praising the president for trying to reform public schools, you bash him.

I guess you would rather have a reason to complain and see children fail. I know a lot of conservatives here have issues with public schools so I do not understand why Obama wanting to reform it rises even more annoyance in you.

It seems like you can never please Conservatives.

So what do YOU want Obama to do?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:10 PM

16,800 posts, read 10,584,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Ah, I see..

So instead of praising the president for trying to reform public schools, you bash him.

I guess you would rather have a reason to complain and see children fail. I know a lot of conservatives here have issues with public schools so I do not understand why Obama wanting to reform it rises even more annoyance in you.

I want him to stop sticking his nose into where it doesn't belong. He's the president of the US, end of discussion. He's completely overstepping his boundaries. But that's to be expected from a narcissist.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 PM

5,124 posts, read 5,107,184 times
It is a catch 22 because while I think kids being in school is a good thing it comes down to what they are being taught. Spend more time on the basics math, science, writing, reading and less on social studies and health and kids scores in math will come up. Personally I don't think time needs to be wasted on social studies when kids are in elementary school. Focus on math, science, reading and writing. Longer days are not needed just a change in what is taught when.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:15 PM

7,509 posts, read 7,711,955 times
Were you guys sleeping through the year-long campaign period? If not, why is this coming as a shock to you? This is the kind of thing he campaigned on and one of the reasons the majority of Americans who voted, elected him to be our President. Elections have consequences.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:17 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,404,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I want him to stop sticking his nose into where it doesn't belong. He's the president of the US, end of discussion. He's completely overstepping his boundaries. But that's to be expected from a narcissist.
It does appear that this is also a good way to really indocrinate the kids; keep them in school longer (away from their families). He is focusing on "everything" except for the economy and putting people back to work which should have been his very first priority.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:20 PM

3,994 posts, read 3,636,166 times
Sure .. School reform would be a great idea, in as much as they need to get out from under all of those teacher workshop holidays, 3 day weekends, and maybe getting back to the basics, like teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic again.

Even better still ... reform the Department of education itself ... Over the years, the Dept gets more and more money, but nothing improves on the education scene.

Sending a kid to school for a longer period of time won't fix anything. It'll just subject them to more of the same, rather inept, educational system, we already have.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,345,013 times
Obama's idea here needs some work. Other countries can get done what we do in less time for education. Why not have people study all aspects of the lives of children in more successful countries.

I'm willing to bet a large portion of our problem is what I saw when I was teaching. Kids that would go home and not study or do any work because TV was more entertaining and parents wouldn't take charge.

There are lousy teachers out there but that isn't the biggest problem. About 1/3 of class time is wasted on management. Then think about the absurdly large class sizes. So much of students class time is wasted because these kids do not face consequences at home.

If we really want some solutions, enable parents (we should require them, you have a kid, you accept responsibility) to discipline their kids, I'm not talking corporal punishment. Then videotape classrooms if kids cause trouble in classrooms repeatedly, then parents are fined. If teachers are inept train them and if they can't perform, fire them. if a teacher is abusing power or treating kids poorly, then kids should complain and teachers can be held accountable. Accountability is a two way street though, and kids and parents need to be held accountable.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:25 PM

39,016 posts, read 21,596,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Ah, I see..

Please don't lump all conservatives into one box. I'm thankful that Obama is looking at ways of reforming our schools. I think disbanding the teacher's union would be a good start and revamping the curriculum to get children focused on the basics. Academic excellences also needs to be emphasized more instead of lowering the curriculum to meet the needs of low achievers as you can remediate them separately without holding the normal and high achievers back. Just extending the school year won't make much difference. True reform is tackling the teacher's unions and making needed curriculum changes. As another poster stated, let's study what makes other countries' educational system successes and see if those changes can be implimented here. I don't buy into that fallacy that "Asians are inherently smarter", WHY are Asians excelling while we are being left behind? Yes, parents have a part to play and fining parents for disruptive children sounds like a good idea. But the issues go much deeper than just parental involvement.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:26 PM

7,509 posts, read 7,711,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

It does appear that this is also a good way to really indocrinate the kids; keep them in school longer (away from their families). He is focusing on "everything" except for the economy and putting people back to work which should have been his very first priority.
Unbelievable. So now extending maths and sciences and such is "indoctrination," but injecting the bible and creationism is just peachy.

Man, I hope we keep the Republican party out of control forever and ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies