Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 02:29 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because one is not dependent on a TOOL to do what he can do without one. Could you survive in the wilderness without any tools? I'm sure I could.
oooook. Just as I cannot bust a rusted up 2inch fitting off without a wrench, without it hurting really bad with no results, why would I want to take on a 200 pound crank head bare handed if I don't have to? Wilderness survival? LMAO, and here I was thinking you were reading to much Eric Von Lustbader. Turns out it's to much Edgar Rice Burroughs. I can hear the chest thumping clear out here in the desert. Seriously, just because I can do something, does not mean that I feel the need to prove it, to anyone. If someone comes on to my place with the intent of violence, I don't feel as if it makes me less to answer his challenge with a .45. It just makes said interloper extemely stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 02:35 PM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
oooook. Just as I cannot bust a rusted up 2inch fitting off without a wrench, without it hurting really bad with no results, why would I want to take on a 200 pound crank head bare handed if I don't have to? Wilderness survival? LMAO, and here I was thinking you were reading to much Eric Von Lustbader. Turns out it's to much Edgar Rice Burroughs. I can hear the chest thumping clear out here in the desert. Seriously, just because I can do something, does not mean that I feel the need to prove it, to anyone. If someone comes on to my place with the intent of violence, I don't feel as if it makes me less to answer his challenge with a .45. It just makes said interloper extemely stupid.
For the anti-gunners please read this link, it happened this weekend 30 miles up the road from me. Please note that the victim's family was present.

washingtonpost.com

Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How about govermint... but I doubt people will get it without the bold...
I get it :-)

Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For the anti-gunners please read this link, it happened this weekend 30 miles up the road from me. Please note that the victim's family was present.

washingtonpost.com
It can happen anywhere, to anyone, at any time. Nobody is immune. having the means to defend oneself does not seem , in any way, a silly proposition. I have had feral dogs come after me on more than one occasion, and did not feel that using a firearm to defend myself made me any less capable. Two legged attackers are even more dangerous, so why take chances by trying to prove how tough one is? The capability of an attacker should always be assumed to be greater than your own. Underestimating an attacker, either two or four legged, and overestimating ones own ability, is a good way to end up on a slab in the ME's office. Expect the unexpected is a good rule of thumb.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Why are you dependent on that 2-inch fitting? Are you relying on some sort of tool again? You don't need that thing to survive.

You're not born with a gun in your hand, so why rely on it? Rely only on the tools you were born with. I don't use them in my work, and I'm more productive than the people who can't seem to do the job without them.

Last edited by TKramar; 09-28-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:

washingtonpost.com
I've killed two dogs with my bare hands. Choked them both to death.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:

washingtonpost.com

"They're just not out randomly kicking in people's doors," Johnson said.

The incident was isolated. As many are.

I believe in the right to bear arms, but I also believe in hardcore gun control. Our society as a whole needs to learn to cope with situations without the use of firearms.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Would this line of reasoning be equivalent to those who feel the need to use Godvernment force to get what they want rather than to get it themselves?
I have no use for the government personally, and have often called for people to do the rational, sensible thing, and ****can it entirely.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_re_us/us_ammo_shortage - broken link)

With gun checks up by 25 % over last year and 9 billion rounds being sold already for this year I would say a lot of people are nervous about the economy. Most interesting is that arm sales are up but by the FBI data page violent crimes are down. I wonder.........

Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why are you dependent on that 2-inch fitting? Are you relying on some sort of tool again? You don't need that thing to survive.

You're not born with a gun in your hand, so why rely on it? Rely only on the tools you were born with. I don't use them in my work, and I'm more productive than the people who can't seem to do the job without them.
If I had the slightest idea what you are on about, I might be able to answer you.' Dependent' on a 2 inch fitting? None of my house lines are actually that big, but the apartment complex I am getting water to may be 'dependent' on that fitting not leaking, as might the residents. Or doesn't your house have running water? Let me guess, you used your hands to martial arts chop some bamboo to make your pipes. Try to stay with me here. As you have repeatedly stated, we humans were born with brains of a higher order. Our natural weapons are woefully inadequate , especially when compared to most predatory animals, thus, we developed tools. "More productive than people that can't do a job without tools'? EVERY job requires tools , of some kind. Even desk jockeys have to have a computer, a phone, pens and pencils etc. My job requires the use of lots of different tools, which I was not born with, just as yours does. You are not making a lick of sense TK. At any rate, a firearm is a tool. One which I have no issue using as an equalizer against a violent attacker, whether two or four legged. In your eyes, that makes me less...capable, as compared to you, because you fancy yourself to be more physically able to use unarmed methods. Actually it seems you fancy your abilities to go far beyond that, as you state you are able to make your living without tools of any kind and can outstip the productivity , by a good stretch, over those of us who do. .Any employer would consider such a personage to be an invaluable asset. Ever consider going into law enforcement? Or is the super hero biz to good to walk away from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies