Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I was wondering how long it was going to be before someone said that...luckily more people seem concerned about the student who lost his life, the ever increasing crime in inner cities, safety of children who actually go to school to learn, etc then bashing Obama.

It's very sad. I've always heard things about inner city schools but I didn't really think it was this bad - I think I had sort of a glamourized Lean On Me - Dangerous Minds - Freedom Writers ideal. Watching this video and seeing kids living in this makes me want to do something...but I have no idea what something is.
Natalayjones,

Some people group all Blacks and Latins as misfits. And that is not fair, I raise my son's to respect all people, respect your communites and stay away from Drugs. The problem in the Ghetto is obvious some people do not want to change. These people who refuse to make sure their children are educated allow their kids to grow up to be murderers. I hate to say that but it's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
It's very sad. I've always heard things about inner city schools but I didn't really think it was this bad...
It's that bad, and worse. Most of the violence isn't reported in the news. They only cover the most heinous acts.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Why do all the mothers have a different last names than their children?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Some women keep their maiden name I guess.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Why does it matter? And if you're talking about the orginal artcile not ALL of the mothers have a different last name than their children...

Quote:
Tamaray Shannon, Silvonus Shannon's mother
two of the boys families declined to comment so you don't know their mother's last name...is there a reason that this is important to you?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
This kind of stuff really makes me angry. We have allowed people that do things like this to damage us as a society. In this one example, they have taken away someone who may have gone on to be a great benefit to family and society. We have to spend billions of dollars, lives, effort etc. trying to help vermin like this. We need to stop tolerating this stuff.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
I've noticed posters getting slammed for suggesting that Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson and/or community activists should be speaking up against this violence. However, if you go onto any of the Chicago news pages and look at the comments from actual Chicagoans, they are saying the exact same thing: "Where are the community organizers when this happens?"

Old 09-29-2009, 10:08 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:

It's very sad. I've always heard things about inner city schools but I didn't really think it was this bad - I think I had sort of a glamourized Lean On Me - Dangerous Minds - Freedom Writers ideal. Watching this video and seeing kids living in this makes me want to do something...but I have no idea what something is.

Want my honest opinion?

Stop with the recent cultural phenominom that says if your Poor and/or of color you're exempt from the basic rules of society. Too many white liberals go into these schools and fill these kids heads with "You're a victim" BS and people wonder why the light has gone out in their eyes.

I'm not trying to make it out like this is a "Black" thing, because it happens all over. However, the inner-cities take it to another level, and IMHO, it's becuase we have poisoned the minds of youth of color by reminding them that they're all oppressed victims held back by "the system". How would that not inspire hopelessness and violence?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Want my honest opinion?

Stop with the recent cultural phenominom that says if your Poor and/or of color you're exempt from the basic rules of society. Too many white liberals go into these schools and fill these kids heads with "You're a victim" BS and people wonder why the light has gone out in their eyes.
I had a teacher like that when I was younger...she was taking it easy on me because I was black and she felt I was at a disadvantage. My mom kept asking me why I didn’t have any homework so after awhile she went to the school and the teacher told her that she wasn’t giving me homework because she didn’t want me to get “discouraged” if I fell behind so she made sure to spend plenty of one-on-one time with me during class. My mom asked her what made her think I would fall behind and the lady just kinda looked at us like “come on, you know” lol

on a side note i saw a lot of it when I was teaching (briefly) young white teachers seemed to have lower expectations for black kids. Okay I'm off subject but thanks for your honesty

Last edited by nat_at772; 09-29-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Multiple Fathers/Husbands would be my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies