Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can gays and lesbians be just as good as raising kids as heterosexuals?
Sure, why not? 30 28.85%
Yes 37 35.58%
No, kids needs a mother and a father 22 21.15%
No, gays will have a negative effect on their children 5 4.81%
I'm not sure.... 6 5.77%
Other [in comments] 4 3.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why always the gay issues? That is the problem with gays- they define themselves by their sexuality and not WHO they really are. It is that constant, irritating reminder that the gay community seems so fond of. Guess what? Nobody cares! Define yourself by your education, social contributions, and occupation, not by your sexuality.
I'm sure that most of the time, throughout the day, week or even month, most gays do define themselves more by what their occupation is or their hobbies and/or other interests. But when you have entire groups devoted to denying your rights based solely on one part of who you are, then that part does become more important to be addressed. When you have religious groups insisting that gays and lesbians would somehow make 'horrible' parents and that they should not be parents, you will find a group of gays, lesbians and their friends countering that claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I always ask the question this way,

Would you rather a child be raised in a foster home, by people who don't care for them, or would you rather see them in with a gay couple?

Would you rather see a child being raised by a family where they are beaten, or would you rather them be with a homosexual couple?

There are WAAAAAYYYYYYY more kids out there that need adopting, and I'd say they'd fair better in a loving environment.
Bad logic.

In the first case, you're stereotyping foster parents. Many of these parents, if not most, care greatly about the children under their charge.

In the second case, you're presenting a wild either-or. Who's to say there are no homosexual child abusers? Though this is not to say they are as common as straight child-abusers; but impression is adoptive parents tend to abuse their children less, since adoption is more "intentional" than having sexual intercourse. And of course since homosexual acts are completely (and essentially) unfruitful, all homosexual parents are adoptive.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Bad logic.

In the first case, you're stereotyping foster parents. Many of these parents, if not most, care greatly about the children under their charge.

In the second case, you're presenting a wild either-or. Who's to say there are no homosexual child abusers? Though this is not to say they are as common as straight child-abusers; but impression is adoptive parents tend to abuse their children less, since adoption is more "intentional" than having sexual intercourse. And of course since homosexual acts are completely (and essentially) unfruitful, all homosexual parents are adoptive.
I know plenty of lesbians who went through in vitro. That isn't adoption.

Some lesbians actually have sex with guys in order to get pregnant...that's not adoption.

I know a lesbian who was raped and chose to keep her child. That wasn't adopt.

Please refrain from using ALL.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Strawman. Nothing in Hawkeye's post refers to hatred in any way, shape, or form.

Be a person. Walk your own walk without worrying so much about what other people think about you. The ones who respect you for that will always support you; those who do not will not be changed simply because you find them troublesome. There is always the possibility that your distress is their motivation... So don't give them the satisfaction.
Strawman my ass. You are exactly right, hawkeye said nothing about hatred. He said nothing about hatred because he wants to ignored the fact that what he is complaining about is a response to people who hate and who try to deny gays everything they can. The issue isn't what other people think of you, the issue is being denied things simply because of sexual orientation. This isn't about liking or respecting someone who is gay, this is about passing laws that prevent gays from doing things that straights take for granted.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Thanx for the link....sometimes GAYS even make better parents because they are more appreciative of the gift of having a child and they know that...people will be watching.

That said, the negatives the child will face growing up are put there by a somewhat homophobic society; so please for the child's sake...let them grow up in PEACE.....and try to be civil to the parents....no matter what you may think...they are the kid's support system and as other parents already know; it is hard enough raising a child, without the extra grief. IMHO.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
No, gay-haters define them by their sexual orientation, not who they are. If the gay-haters weren't defining them by their sexual orientation, there would be no attempt to bar gays from adopting or being foster parents, nor would judges give custody to the other parent or even grandparents simply because a parent is gay. It's the gay-haters who start these things. Your response seems to overlook that or suggest that gays just stand there and take it without response.

Way to put the cart before the horse. Got your cause and effect reversed. Nice to see you support the bullies and think their victims should accept their role in life without response.

That is not true. Note that "Purple Love" seems to only post gay issues because she is gay. How many heterosexuals post heterosexual issues? Gays seem many times to want to bring that issue up when there is absolutely no need to do so. One's sexuality is a private issue and one should not wear it on your shirtsleeve like a cufftile.

Get over your sexuality and proceed with your life. There is more to one's existence than thier sexuality and discussing it all the time is tiresome and irritating.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:41 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Thanx for the link....sometimes GAYS even make better parents because they are more appreciative of the gift of having a child and they know that...people will be watching.

That said, the negatives the child will face growing up are put there by a somewhat homophobic society; so please for the child's sake...let them grow up in PEACE.....and try to be civil to the parents....no matter what you may think...they are the kid's support system and as other parents already know; it is hard enough raising a child, without the extra grief. IMHO.
I have bene called a right wing nut job on this board and am a hetreosexual conservative male.
I can say gay parents are loving and caring and the gay parents i deal with all have straight kids. I do not think the sexual orenitation of a parent makes or breaks a parent.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I know plenty of lesbians who went through in vitro. That isn't adoption.

Some lesbians actually have sex with guys in order to get pregnant...that's not adoption.

I know a lesbian who was raped and chose to keep her child. That wasn't adopt.

Please refrain from using ALL.
You know what? I was an idiot. I was thinking of male-male homosexual couples (what the word "gay" evokes). What I said applies to them.

What I said about homosexual acts (whether male-male or female-female) being inherently unfruitful remains.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Im sure gays and lesbians can be good parents, why wouldnt they, BUT its not the way it should be and I feel sorry for kids who are raised like that

nothing against gays or lesbians, I get along with them and all, but how will this effect the child throughout his or her life. Having caring gay parents is better though than not having any parents or parents that dont care.

Hopefully this dosent become a common thing
Wow, I'm surprised by some of the answers on here. I mean, how can it possibly be that some of you don't already KNOW any gay people raising children???? I know a number of them, at work, through friends, etc.

There was a gay male couple who went to my church when my daughter was small. At the time, my marriage was dying, and it used to make me so sad to see them because here they were a couple that some judgemental idiots would reject, but they were so loving and kind to each other and to their adopted children, while I was in a conventional marriage with a man who preferred his bar buddies to his wife and little girl and who screamed and yelled at us when he was around us.

Also, the children they adopted were taken from druggie moms at birth. They were born addicted and were HIV positive and they stayed up nights while those babies went through withdrawal and nursed them back to health. I bet you anything these same people who proclaim that gay people shouldn't be allowed to raise children also wouldn't deign to touch such "damaged" kids with a ten-foot pole, let alone have the capacity to love them.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, I'm surprised by some of the answers on here. I mean, how can it possibly be that some of you don't already KNOW any gay people raising children???? I know a number of them, at work, through friends, etc.

There was a gay male couple who went to my church when my daughter was small. At the time, my marriage was dying, and it used to make me so sad to see them because here they were a couple that some judgemental idiots would reject, but they were so loving and kind to each other and to their adopted children, while I was in a conventional marriage with a man who preferred his bar buddies to his wife and little girl and who screamed and yelled at us when he was around us.

Also, the children they adopted were taken from druggie moms at birth. They were born addicted and were HIV positive and they stayed up nights while those babies went through withdrawal and nursed them back to health. I bet you anything these same people who proclaim that gay people shouldn't be allowed to raise children also wouldn't deign to touch such "damaged" kids with a ten-foot pole, let alone have the capacity to love them.
Depending on where some of these people live, same-sex couples may not be all that out.
Heck, in my state you can be fired for being GLBT. It's just better to keep quiet in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies