Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:40 AM
DPK DPK started this thread

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The guy asked a question "should Obama be killed?" He did not say he was killing Obama, which would be illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd
Unless you are talking about Bush, Tax Tea Protestors or Christians, right?
Me citing Chaplinsky vs. New Hampshire was just an example of limitations of 1st amendment rights. Geeze people, stop over analyzing everything. I wasn't saying that it specifically applied to this, but was elaborating that people always try to cite the 1st amendment as freedom of speech for everything. Well it doesn't apply to everything and I think a lot of people don't realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,086,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Me citing Chaplinsky vs. New Hampshire was just an example of limitations of 1st amendment rights. Geeze people, stop over analyzing everything. I wasn't saying that it specifically applied to this, but was elaborating that people always try to cite the 1st amendment as freedom of speech for everything. Well it doesn't apply to everything and I think a lot of people don't realize that.

My appoligies. I should have made it clear that I was being sarcastic to liberals.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Death of a President - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shocking something like this could be made but it seemed when Bush was in office not much was done by the censors. Here's is what Hillary Clinton had to say about it though.---------------
[edit] Reception

The central conceit of Death of a President was much criticised by those who believed it exploitative of the subject of presidential assassination, and that doing so is in bad taste. The Texas Republican Party described the subject matter as "shocking" and "disgusting".[4] Hillary Clinton, then junior United States Senator from New York, told The Journal News of Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam counties, New York, at the annual New Castle Community Day in Chappaqua: "I think it's despicable. I think it's absolutely outrageous. That anyone would even attempt to profit on such a horrible scenario makes me sick".[5]
You are so disingenuous, it's absurd.
This was NOT a US film, I don't believe it aired many places.
Democrats came out against the film.

There have been a minimum of 3 threads on this subject.

Funny how you neglected to mention any real facts.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Death of a President - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shocking something like this could be made but it seemed when Bush was in office not much was done by the censors. Here's is what Hillary Clinton had to say about it though.---------------
[edit] Reception

The central conceit of Death of a President was much criticised by those who believed it exploitative of the subject of presidential assassination, and that doing so is in bad taste. The Texas Republican Party described the subject matter as "shocking" and "disgusting".[4] Hillary Clinton, then junior United States Senator from New York, told The Journal News of Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam counties, New York, at the annual New Castle Community Day in Chappaqua: "I think it's despicable. I think it's absolutely outrageous. That anyone would even attempt to profit on such a horrible scenario makes me sick".[5]
So do you propose that US 'censors' start dictating the films other countries are allowed to make now? This was a film that came out of the UK, not the US.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,865,417 times

Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7783/img9676b.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-29-2009, 06:27 AM

480 posts, read 877,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Unless you are talking about Bush, Tax Tea Protestors or Christians, right?
Wrong. Is everything tit for tat with you?

I agree with OP. Things are getting out of hand, and I wish people would be more responsible while they're using their freedom of speech.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 AM
j33

oz in SC - you do realize that posting pictures of foreign protests doesn't do much for your point do you not?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 AM

Except of course those protests were in San Francisco...which is quite foreign in some ways but is still part of the USA....

How about this:
Quote:
On July 11, 2007, Nobel Peace Prize laureate Betty Williams gave the keynote speech to the International Women’s Peace Conference in Dallas, Texas, and said (to laughter and applause from the audience):
“I mean right now, I could kill George Bush, no problem. No, I don’t mean that. I mean — how could you nonviolently kill somebody? I would love to be able to do that.”

Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 AM
j33

My mistake, it has been very common on these threads for people like, you, whose anti-Obama histrionics have taken on a rather paranoid direction to post anti-Bush pictures from protests that took place in Europe as some sort of justification for their violent outbusts against Obama (e.g. using the British film 'Death of a President' to make some sort of statement about how American conservatives are somehow justified in making veiled threats against our current president).

Threatening the lives of political leaders, and trying to justify the actions of those who threaten the lives of political leaders isn't a way to start a reasoned political debate. Period. It just encourages the other side to dismiss you as a paranoid, unhinged, and possibly dangerous wingnut. This is not a partisan statement and holds true if one is holding a 'kill bush' or 'kill obama' sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies