Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yet I haven't been eating the recommended serving of fruits or vegetables for years now. Every once in a while, when someone else cooks them for me, I eat them. But I don't make them for myself. I guess the tomato on that hamburger is vegetable enough, eh?

I wasn't eating vegetables growing up either--as I was lucky to get ANYTHING at all to eat, until I earned my own money which went to food.

Just because you havent seen anything serious happen to you yet, doesnt mean that it wont, nor does it mean it doesnt happen to other people. The diseases and complication from malnutrition are very real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
My entertainment is books, puzzles, and listening to the radio. I'm a man of simple tastes. I'm not materialistic in the slightest, and don't own or need a car.

Well you are very lucky to have found affordable, safe, housing within walking distance to your job. Most people do not have that luxury. Some have the luxury of good public transportation, but even that costs money.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Then obviously, I'm getting them from SOME source. Enriched bread, perhaps? I don't know. I just know that I don't eat vegetables, and haven't done so for years, yet still outperform people younger than me at work.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Well you are very lucky to have found affordable, safe, housing within walking distance to your job. Most people do not have that luxury. Some have the luxury of good public transportation, but even that costs money.
One should live where they work. People who lve in one town and work in another make no sense to me.

I've walked as much as 2 hours to get back and forth to work.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Then obviously, I'm getting them from SOME source. Enriched bread, perhaps? I don't know. I just know that I don't eat vegetables, and haven't done so for years, yet still outperform people younger than me at work.

That doesnt neccessarily mean you are getting them, or a correct dose, it just could mean your body has been able to operate without them, and hasnt shown visible signs of damage.

That does not mean its good for you, or every one should try it out and see what happens. There is plenty of data on all that could happen when a person becomes malnourished.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 AM

But I'm telling you, I'm not seeing any signs of malnutrition. Maybe Kool Aid has enough Vitamin C in it to qualify, I don't know. But I consider juices to be too expensive.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
One should live where they work. People who lve in one town and work in another make no sense to me.

There isnt always safe,available housing within a walking distance of where a person works. In fact, this is rarely the case. If nothing else, the pure uncertainty of the employment contract versus the not so mobile nature of a housing arrangement would be completely counter productive to this set up.

What if you sign a one year lease near your new job, and get fired 3 months later? What if you buy a house near your new job, and lose it in a year? You cant just back out of these obligations without serious reprocutions.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
But I'm telling you, I'm not seeing any signs of malnutrition. Maybe Kool Aid has enough Vitamin C in it to qualify, I don't know. But I consider juices to be too expensive.

Ok, maybe you arent seeing signs. What does that mean? Does that mean things like scurvy dont exist? Or maybe it means that you simply have been lucky enough to not have any serious complications from eating poorly over your life. Not all people have bodies that react the same way. Some are very sensitive to lack of nutrients, others are just fine.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM

I must be the latter...or I'm somehow getting the missing nutrients through other enriched foods.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:

You live a very sheltered life.

When I was living in Orlando; I worked in Orlando...I lived 12 miles away from my job - a 20 minute drive if traffic was good. It would have taken me 3 to 4 hours to walk to work every day. Then you have to consider the weather, safety, the availability of sidewalks (it is not safe to walk in the roads in bad weather or at night even if you're wearing neon glow-in-the-dark clothing), plus if I'm walking that long I'd need a cell phone as it would have been dark by the time I made it home.

Materialistic or not; not everyone can afford the luxury of not having a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies