Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's always the option of buying canned or frozen as well. I just don't care for them much. Once in a great while, if I make a stir-fry, I'll buy a bag of frozen vegetables, one of the Birdseye Blends or something similar, to toss in the pot.
That is a good point.

Also it is kind of amusing how many people seem to want to pick apart your way of living because you are happy earning less and living a simpler life...

Makes me wonder if perhaps it is a way for them to try and explain away why they are doing what they are doing.

We will be shedding almost all of the stupidity that our modern society demands we have and live simpler.

People need to start their way of thinking from 'Why??'

WHY do I need this?

WHY do I have to do this?

Etc.

Or keep living this wonderful way of life where you get to work 40+ hours a week to pay for the way you live and have little time to ACTUALLY live and enjoy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^^Good grief! What do any of you care if somone wants to spend their hard-earned money on fresh fruits and vegetables? Surely there are worse things one could do with one's money?!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
You can spend your money on anything you like--but one's priorities should be food and shelter--the necessities of life.

Why shouldn't prices on everything be lower?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That is a good point.

Also it is kind of amusing how many people seem to want to pick apart your way of living because you are happy earning less and living a simpler life...

Makes me wonder if perhaps it is a way for them to try and explain away why they are doing what they are doing.

We will be shedding almost all of the stupidity that our modern society demands we have and live simpler.

WHY do I need this?

Etc.

Or keep living this wonderful way of life where you get to work 40+ hours a week to pay for the way you live and have little time to ACTUALLY live and enjoy life.
Nothing wrong with wanting a simple life but I live to eat and if I'm going to be on this earth, I want to eat good food. It doesn't mean I pay out the nose for my food but buying some of the things people have mentioned made death sound like a better option.

Nothing wrong with wanting a simple life but there is something wrong with trying to make someone downgrade their way of living because YOU have a simple life. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Untrue.

When in season,veggies and fruit are cheap.

If you want to eat out of season produce,you should expect to pay the price.
Yeah I guess it depends on where you shop - I've never brought cheap fruit; unless you count when everything goes on sale because it's getting too ripe.

Quote:
That is a good point.

WHY do I need this?

Etc.

The answers to your questions are simple.

I have this because I want it. I need this because I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting a simple life but there is something wrong with trying to make someone downgrade their way of living because YOU have a simple life. Different strokes for different folks.
Exactly; if my life consisted of no pleasures or luxuries then what would be the point in doing anything? But like you said different strokes for different folks; if you have low requirements then you can get by with low rewards.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Requirement: survival.

Big screen TV? Not essential. Trip to Europe? Not essential. My needs are simple and easily satisfied. Food and shelter.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Requirement: survival.

Big screen TV? Not essential. Trip to Europe? Not essential. My needs are simple and easily satisfied. Food and shelter.
1. Food and shelter are not minimum needs. The following also are, heat, clean water, and savings. You admitted that your income does not provide savings whatsoever. Why dont you ask the legions of people losing everything they ever thought they had because they thought that theyd be ok without any savings.

2. Most of America cannot get by at any tolerable standard of living on $10 an hour. In fact, some cities actually have set their minimum wage higher then that. We arent talking about lack of a big screen TV, we are talking 5 people in a one bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. If you dont believe me, why dont you check out the conditions many illegal immigrants or lower skilled work visa student workers live in. If it wasnt for things like section 8 and TANF, many millions of legal American citizens would be living the exact same way. We should not aspire, in one of the wealthiest nations on earth, for our lower income quintiles to sink to the quality of life seen in third world countries, so that our wealthiest quintiles can get even wealthier.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 AM

Why are you so frightened by the idea of someone actually living and thriving on less money than you???

It is quite puzzling.

It seems the idea of others making do on less and enjoying life undermines or threatens in some way YOUR life choices...

A little story for y'all:

A few years ago, a very rich businessman decides to take a vacation to a small tropical island in the South Pacific. He has worked hard all his life and has decided that now is the time to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He is excited about visiting the island because he’s heard that there is incredible fishing there. He loved fishing as a young boy, but hasn’t gone in years because he has been so busy working to save for his retirement.

So on the first day, he has his breakfast and heads to the beach. It’s around 9:30 am. There he spots a fisherman coming in with a large bucket full of fish!
“How long did you fish for?” he asks. The fisherman looks at the businessman with a wide grin across his face and explains that the fishes for about three hours every day. The businessman then asks him why he returned so quickly.

“Don’t worry”, says the fisherman, “There’s still plenty of fish out there.”
Dumbfounded, the businessman asks the fisherman why he didn’t continue catching more fish. The fisherman patiently explains that what he caught is all he needs. “I’ll spend the rest of the day playing with my family, talking with my friends and maybe drinking a little wine. After that I’ll relax on the beach.”

Now the rich businessman figures he needs to teach this peasant fisherman a thing or two. So he explains to him that he should stay out all day and catch more fish. Then he could save up the extra money he makes and buy even bigger boats to catch even more fish. The he could keep reinvesting his profits in even more boats and hire many other fisherman to work for him. If he works really hard, in 20 or 30 years he’ll be a very rich man indeed.

The businessman feels pleased that he’s helped teach this simple fellow how to become rich. Then the fisherman looks at the businessman with a puzzled look on his face and asks what he’ll do after he becomes very rich.
The businessman responds quickly “You can spend time with your family, talk with your friends, and maybe drink a little wine. Or you could just relax on the beach.”

Old 10-05-2009, 07:17 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Why are you so frightened by the idea of someone actually living and thriving on less money than you???

It is quite puzzling.

It seems the idea of others making do on less and enjoying life undermines or threatens in some way YOUR life choices...
He is suggesting that everyone CAN and SHOULD live at his standard of living, even though what he is doing is not only completely wreckless, but also impossible for most of America that isnt located in Mayberry.

By the way, he isnt thriving. He is basically living paycheck to paycheck, eating like a college student, and hoping nothing goes wrong. I doubt he has any kind of health coverage, and he certainly cant afford losing his job. The stress of being in this poor situation would be enough to deteriorate most peoples health.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
He is suggesting that everyone CAN and SHOULD live at his standard of living, even though what he is doing is not only completely wreckless, but also impossible for most of America that isnt located in Mayberry.

By the way, he isnt thriving. He is basically living paycheck to paycheck, eating like a college student, and hoping nothing goes wrong. I doubt he has any kind of health coverage, and he certainly cant afford losing his job. The stress of being in this poor situation would be enough to deteriorate most peoples health.
LOL...maybe Americans should stop being such worriers and actually LIVE their lives instead of being afraid 'something bad' might happen???

Seriously,you get one go round, to spend it living the way most do is pointless.

I am sure on their deathbeds people will wish they had worked just a little more so they could have bought a bigger TV...actually knowing some types that would be what they would wish for.

You choose your life and if worrying and working away for that 'future time' when you are old and worn out is for you...good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies