Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You do realize that in the link you provided it says that $11 hourly is a low wage, which did nothing to prove your point, since the majority of us here had already said it's hard to support a family on such minimal income.

You also realize that in the link you provided it says that annual earnings at that level fall short of the poverty threshold for a family of four and barely exceed the threshold for smaller families.

You also realize that in the link you provided it says that lower paid work is dangerous and shameful.

You do realize that the link you provided says that low-paid workers (those 40,000,000 earning less than $11 hourly that you were talking about earlier) are much less likely to have access to crucial employe-provided rights and benefits, including health insurance, retirement pensions, paid family leave, sick leave, paid days off, etc.

Next time you should try reading ALL the words, not just the ones you think will back up your claims because the link that you provided really didn't help your case at all.

Last edited by nat_at772; 10-05-2009 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. Food and shelter are not minimum needs. The following also are, heat, clean water, and savings. You admitted that your income does not provide savings whatsoever. Why dont you ask the legions of people losing everything they ever thought they had because they thought that theyd be ok without any savings.
I live in Florida, and did so for quite some time without having heat or A/C in my home. Water goes under the basic need of food. Savings--unnecessary. You work for what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
2. Most of America cannot get by at any tolerable standard of living on $10 an hour. In fact, some cities actually have set their minimum wage higher then that. We arent talking about lack of a big screen TV, we are talking 5 people in a one bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. If you dont believe me, why dont you check out the conditions many illegal immigrants or lower skilled work visa student workers live in. If it wasnt for things like section 8 and TANF, many millions of legal American citizens would be living the exact same way. We should not aspire, in one of the wealthiest nations on earth, for our lower income quintiles to sink to the quality of life seen in third world countries, so that our wealthiest quintiles can get even wealthier.
Illegals are either, A) not getting $10 an hour (if they're Ag workers, they're usually paid by production), or B) sending most of their money back to their home country (particularly Mexico), or both. It behooves them to send as much money back home as possible while working here, so they go the cheapest possible way they can. Personally, cramming that many people in an area, while possible, is a security issue. When I was in the Navy, I DID have things stolen from me. It's unimportant, in that case, since food and shelter were provided for me already, but living in close proximity to others is a security risk.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You also realize that in the link you provided it says that annual earnings at that level fall short of the poverty threshold for a family of four and barely exceed the threshold for smaller families.
But more than sufficient for TWO people....

Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
So therefore you spend your whole life working for less than $10 hourly so you can survive and then you die.

We all die eventually, and this life doesn't really matter much in the long run. If there IS an afterlife, that's the one that matters. If there isn't, then nothing matters.

We have but a short time upon the planet, when you consider eternity--and nothing we do matters.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
We all die eventually, and this life doesn't really matter much in the long run. If there IS an afterlife, that's the one that matters. If there isn't, then nothing matters.

We have but a short time upon the planet, when you consider eternity--and nothing we do matters.
Wow. If that's the way you feel, Debbie Downer, then that's fine. I live my life a bit more optimistically than you do and I strive to experience as much as I can in this life. I don't believe there is an afterlife, so I'm going to do as much as I can with what I have.

For me, that does include a little bit of money and I've worked my little buns off getting the experience and knowledge that I have now, so that I can get paid a bit more and have time for my pursuits.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Natalay, of course $11/hour is low...

But 40 million people manage which is what was my point in posting it.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wow. If that's the way you feel, Debbie Downer, then that's fine. I live my life a bit more optimistically than you do and I strive to experience as much as I can in this life. I don't believe there is an afterlife, so I'm going to do as much as I can with what I have.

For me, that does include a little bit of money and I've worked my little buns off getting the experience and knowledge that I have now, so that I can get paid a bit more and have time for my pursuits.
Pollyanna, it's called being realistic, being pragmatic. We are born, go to work, and we die. Nothing that happens in the interim makes a real difference.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Natalay, of course $11/hour is low...

But 40 million people manage which is what was my point in posting it.
yes 40 million people manage to live in poverty...that was a great point but for all of those who aspire to not live in poverty your point was pointless.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:50 AM

It was only pointless, because people are overly materialistic.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
yes 40 million people manage to live in poverty...that was a great point but for all of those who aspire to not live in poverty your point was pointless.
LOL....okay if it makes you feel better that is what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies