Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,812,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Ahhhh well see I never felt the need to chase the dollar; I pretty much live the same way now that I did when I was in college with the exception of health insurance, savings and a cell phone. Well, I do travel quite a bit but I consider seeing my family a necessity for my mental well-being.
This isn't aimed at you specifically....it is our society.

Quote:
So you place no value on achievements; that's fine.
Your achievements shouldn't be reliant upon others praise or society's...
Quote:
You want to live in poverty; that's fine too.
I prefer to be happy,money and consumerism(the basis of our society) do not lead to that in my opinion.

Quote:
So what exactly is your point?
Who says there is a point to any of this,we are all simply wasting time on the internet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,171,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Our schools are excellent, our weekly paper headlines a radio stolen out of a car , just got a brand new water treatment facility.
Climate preferences are relative, less than an hour to whatever cultural event you could wish for and within 1/2 hour the same job opportunities as anywhere.
You ever leave the area you are in??

Have you even paid attention to this whole thread? TK suggested that one should not use a car, pay for its insurance or maintenance or pay for public transportation, and should never live more then walking distance from your job.

By the way, the fact that you live 1/2 hour away from good jobs, and an hour a way from things to do, is likely why nobody wants to live where you are, and why New York City, in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, has an apartment vacancy rate under 3%, as opposed to the national rate of almost 8%.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If his orange tree became a capital asset through the creation of duress, then yes, "his" orange tree would be extracted from him.
There you have it,force one to give to others.
Personally I would cut the tree down rather than be forced to hand over my property....and then I would make those who demanded this to pay a steep price.

Quote:
If he planted his own orange tree in his yard from an orange he got from the store, and collected oranges and used them,sold them, or traded them for someones apples (assuming he also got the apple from the store and grew his tree), that is just fine in my book.
Why do you feel he needs to grow his own tree,once he buys the property it is his...

Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I can't use them all myself, I should gladly share them with anyone who wants them. Why be stingy? Property does not have merit.
What If you aren't given the choice but a man with a gun comes and demands you hand over the oranges,what then?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,542,364 times
They don't matter that much to me, he didn't need the gun, he could have as many as he could carry.

Be kinda hard to carry a bunch of oranges and a gun at the same time though.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,171,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Umm no,there is more than one cow in the world...
And here you demonstrate your complete lack of comprehension of my argument. Go forth, gain reading ability....

Quote:
You believe the creation of wealth is a zero sum game,that is your problem.
Actually, wealth cannot be created, so "the creation of it" is not any type of "game". Its simply an ignorance of people who cant comprehend economics.

Quote:
Isn't this your way of thinking,everyone needs to be on the same footing(or one foot)???
If you cannot comprehend how this is a fallacy, I suggest a basic practical reasoning course at your local community college.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
And here you demonstrate your complete lack of comprehension of my argument. Go forth, gain reading ability....

Actually, wealth cannot be created, so "the creation of it" is not any type of "game". Its simply an ignorance of people who cant comprehend economics.

If you cannot comprehend how this is a fallacy, I suggest a basic practical reasoning course at your local community college.
When losing the discussion,always resort to attacking the opposition.

Rule no. 1 in online discussions.

Sorry if your position is difficult to defend,however you chose your position.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,542,364 times
Quote:
Have you even paid attention to this whole thread? TK suggested that one should not use a car, pay for its insurance or maintenance or pay for public transportation, and should never live more then walking distance from your job.

By the way, the fact that you live 1/2 hour away from good jobs, and an hour a way from things to do, is likely why nobody wants to live where you are, and why New York City, in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, has an apartment vacancy rate under 3%, as opposed to the national rate of almost 8%.
I have a good job, and it takes an hour, at most, to get there. Walking. I live in a city, after all. I don't live way out in the country, far away from jobs, grocery shopping, and "things to do".

Yet, my favorite things to do are fairly inexpensive. Read the newspaper, do the puzzles therein, read books from the public library. I like being inside when I can.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,327,370 times
Quote:
This isn't aimed at you specifically....it is our society.
Ok sure.

Quote:
Your achievements shouldn't be reliant upon others praise or society's...
This doesn't apply to me either than I guess you are talking about society.

Quote:
I prefer to be happy,money and consumerism(the basis of our society) do not lead to that in my opinion
. Some things (especially things I like to do) require money. If I don't have any money; I can't do the things like to do. If I can't do the things I like to do; I won't be as happy. It has nothing to do with chasing dollars and it doesn't always have to be material gains.

Quote:
Who says there is a point to any of this,we are all simply wasting time on the internet....
That I agree with...I'm quite bored and this forum is more entertaining then my coworkers but I'm typically not on here when I'm at home.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They don't matter that much to me, he didn't need the gun, he could have as many as he could carry.

Be kinda hard to carry a bunch of oranges and a gun at the same time though.
Fair enough.
the guy with the gun has all the other people with him that are demanding free oranges...they get to carry them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies