Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
I read somewhere that people who have gotten the flu vaccination are twice as likely to get the H1N1. I have never had a flu shot and never plan to. AND will never get the H1N1 shot.
I don't know where that "somewhere" would be. Could you provide a link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
I read somewhere that people who have gotten the flu vaccination are twice as likely to get the H1N1. I have never had a flu shot and never plan to. AND will never get the H1N1 shot.
"read somewhere?" right...

Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
here is what the insert has to say about the majority of possible side effects listed in the prisonplanet article listed above:

The following additional adverse reactions have been reported during post-approval use of FLUVIRIN. Because these reactions are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal relationship to vaccine exposure. Adverse events described here are included because: a) they represent reactions which are known to occur following immunizations generally or influenza immunizations specifically; b) they are potentially serious; or c) the frequency of reporting.

also, i was wrong, guillain-barre syndrome (gbs) is listed as a potential side effect. besides anaphylaxis, this is probably the most serious thing that could happen, so the insert discusses it a little further. the chances of getting gbs from a flu shot are literally one in a million.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
According to a dr at Children's Mercy, my kids & I all had H1N1 last week. Was just like any other flu here. I don't see the need for a vaccine for ANY flu, when the side affects are possibly worse than the actual flu.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Life is a side effect. Still, I don't want the shot. At least with the flu only 2 things are possible. You get sick, and recover, or you get sick, and die. When they give you a shot, they pull the plunger back to see if they hit a blood supply. If so, they try again in another spot.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
A 12-year-old girl in our community died Monday from H1N1. She felt bad on Thursday, was hospitalized Saturday, declared brain dead on Sunday and died on Monday. She had no known underlying health problems.

Everyone has to make his or her own decisions about vaccines, but no one should be cavalier about this flu.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM

We have had several deaths in our community as well. While I agree with the "make your own decision" model, I think it needs to be an informed decision. If I had all day to research this I could probably tell you with certainty that no one ever died from a flu shot, but I don't, so I can just say, based on almost 40 years of immunization experience, I don't think so.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We have had several deaths in our community as well. While I agree with the "make your own decision" model, I think it needs to be an informed decision. If I had all day to research this I could probably tell you with certainty that no one ever died from a flu shot, but I don't, so I can just say, based on almost 40 years of immunization experience, I don't think so.
I think that people either became ill or died from getting the vaccine during the last swine flu epidemic--which I believe was in the 70's. GBS was a problem with that vaccine as well. But you have to do a risk/benefit analysis. The chance of dying from this flu is small, but real. The chance of becoming ill from the vaccine is small, but I don't believe any deaths have been associated with the current H1N1 vaccine--but it's very new.

People have to look at all the available information and make the best decision for themselves and their families. Thinking about someone having to bury their 12-year-old daughter will most likely make me get the vaccine for my daughter and me as soon as it is offered.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think that people either became ill or died from getting the vaccine during the last swine flu epidemic--which I believe was in the 70's. GBS was a problem with that vaccine as well. But you have to do a risk/benefit analysis. The chance of dying from this flu is small, but real. The chance of becoming ill from the vaccine is small, but I don't believe any deaths have been associated with the current H1N1 vaccine--but it's very new.

People have to look at all the available information and make the best decision for themselves and their families. Thinking about someone having to bury their 12-year-old daughter will most likely make me get the vaccine for my daughter and me as soon as it is offered.
Three people, I believe elderly, died within days of receiving their swine flu vaccine in the 70s. These deaths have not been causally linked to the vaccine. There is a new agency this year to monitor people who have heart attacks, etc right after getting the vaccine, because these things happen every day. The risk of Guillan-Barre is hard enough to calculate, because it is very small. It is believed that the risk increased at most by 1 person per 100,000 from the vaccine in the 70s.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:01 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
According to a dr at Children's Mercy, my kids & I all had H1N1 last week. Was just like any other flu here. I don't see the need for a vaccine for ANY flu, when the side affects are possibly worse than the actual flu.
I disagree, especially with children and elderly - who are most likely to be seriously impacted by the flu. Kids can die. My daughter has been vaccinated every year since she was born, and I shall continue to do so. Side effects or no, I'd hate her to be one of the 36,000 who die each year from flu complications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies