Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not at all.

In fact, with regard to the real estate transaction you describe, there IS a Code of Ethics that covers that very thing.

Sorry justnancy - apples and oranges
Not true. That's why so many people got mortgages that were interest only and option ARM loans. A lot of people are now losing their homes because they weren't very good in math and a broker said "trust me."

I used to sell cars. I know all the games the people in finance play. It is only after the fact that laws are passed to protect the consumer. For example, in Florida all agents need to take a Senior Ethics course. Why? Because a financial planner sold an annuity with a 15 year surrender charge to a couple in their 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The answer is because they were forced to curtail it by Congress. Did Congress limit it because a person or business was harmed?

And Walmart was not the only company doing this by a long shot.

Kind of heartwarming Freudian typo-slip in your last sentence.
There was no freudian slip - of any kind.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
It's foreign to them because in the liberal world all employees are equal. There is no key man. Kumbaya, my lord, Kumbaya.....

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Not true. "
Actually, it is true.

The National Association of REALTORS has a Code of Ethics that a consumer can file an Ethics complaint against a real estate agent for actions such as you described. They can also file a complaint with their State regulatory agency and go after the agents license.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Actually, it is true.

The National Association of REALTORS has a Code of Ethics that a consumer can file an Ethics complaint against a real estate agent for actions such as you described. They can also file a complaint with their State regulatory agency and go after the agents license.
"REALTOR" is an organization that a real estate agent or broker can choose to join by paying dues. National Association of Realtors has no bearing on state law. No agent is require to join. I know, I also had a real estate license. (although I did pay the dues)

Anyway, an agent works for a broker. Agents don't sell to the public. When you are buying a home from an agent, you are actually buying it from an agent of the broker or developer. Regarding a mortgage, no real estate person would be sued or lose his license because of a mortgage. It's a totally separate transaction. I suppose if you ran a scam where you referred people to an unethical lender and got a kickback, which is illegal, then that would be true.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
"REALTOR" is an organization that a real estate agent or broker can choose to join by paying dues.
I understand that. I am a former President of my State's Association of REALTORS and am a member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of REALTORS.

To be a REALTOR, you first have to have a real estate license. And, if you do join, you can call yourself a REALTOR - you also agree to abide by the Code of Ethics of the National Association of REALTORS. In the United States, over 95% of those real estate licensees that sell residential real estate are, and can call themselves, REALTORS

And did you know, that all 50 states laws are actually based on the REALTOR Code of Ethics? Yep, they are.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
To be a REALTOR, you first have to have a real estate license. And, if you do join, you can call yourself a REALTOR - you also agree to abide by the Code of Ethics of the National Association of REALTORS.
Baloney. You are either ethical or you're not. I paid my dues and promised not to be a scumbag. I'm sure Bernie Madoff did that when he got his SEC licenses.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Baloney. You are either ethical or you're not. I paid my dues and promised not to be a scumbag. I'm sure Bernie Madoff did that when he got his SEC licenses.
JustNancy - You are very rude. I gave you FACTUAL and correct information and you start off with "Baloney" -

Well, let me say, inasmuch as you were a used car salesperson, a real estate agent, now an insurance agent - it seems you have some difficulty deciding what to do when you grow up.

Try not to be so rude in the future - OK?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
JustNancy - You are very rude. I gave you FACTUAL and correct information and you start off with "Baloney" -

Well, let me say, inasmuch as you were a used car salesperson, a real estate agent, now an insurance agent - it seems you have some difficulty deciding what to do when you grow up.

Try not to be so rude in the future - OK?
That's a riot. First of all, I didn't say "used car" and having different licenses certainly doesn't say anything negative about a person, only that she went back to school to become better educated. I know very few people who have stayed in the same profession for 40 years. I am certainly not doing to defend myself by seeking a variety of opportunities. If I had trouble finding work today, I might learn to fix computers or maybe I'd get a hack license. Honest work is nothing to scoff at, but apparently you feel it is.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
That's a riot. First of all, I didn't say "used car" and having different licenses certainly doesn't say anything negative about a person, only that she went back to school to become better educated.
You are still a very rude person.

And, just and FYI - there is a difference - often times a LARGE difference, between what the law requires, and what a code of ethics require. In the case of REATLORS, the COE requirements are HIGHER than any state law.

That is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies