Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texting or gabbing while driving
You gab and text away, you know it's wrong and that it changes your driving 2 2.74%
You gab and text away and it does not change your driving 4 5.48%
You would never answer your phone while driving 15 20.55%
You peak at the caller ID and only pick up if it's important 16 21.92%
You wish you could carry a cell phone jammer and point it at the gabers and texters 41 56.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Cell phones. I don't have one. Many ask me how can I live without a Cell phone? What if someone is trying to call you? What if you break down?
I ask why do you need to talk on a phone non-stop? Why do you need to make personal calls while shopping or eating in a resturant?
Texting? I have not and doubt that I ever will text anyone as long as I live. The facination with it eludes me.
Kids and cell phones. For over 2 centuries Americans did well without Cell phones. In fact kids normally needed a parents permission to even make a phone call.
Parents now protest when schools ban cell phones from the classroom, as if its life or death.
Now I do understand professionals out there need to be available to take calls due to business needs. My brother for example.
I simply question the need for telephone calls or texting while driving.
A solution would be fines and penalties simular to those imposed on DUI's. As I understand it someone trying to text or dial a phone while driving is as dangerous as a drunk driver.

Last edited by tinman01; 08-22-2010 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 06:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A solution would be fines and penalties simular to those imposed on DUI's. As I understand it someone trying to text or dial a phone while driving is as dangerous as a drunk driver.
I agree and the people that almost killed me weren't kids but adults. I don't think there is ever a good reason to do more than drive the car.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
People will find this hard to believe but there really was actually a time when people didn't feel the need to communicate 24/7. Believe it or not there was a time when there was no such thing as cell phones, let alone texting. Heck, I drove across the country several times without a cell phone and somehow managed to survive. It was actually considered a bonus to be away from the ringing telephone back then. Why it is now considered impossible to go cllllleeeeaaaarrrrr to the mall without being able to share your every thought with others is, frankly, beyond me. I don't know how to break this to people but, unless they are the POUS, there is nothing you have to say that is so important that it can't wait until you get home.

Amen brother.

I drove across the country 3 years ago with a young lady friend. Neither of us used our cell phones. Nor did we check the internet. It was awesome.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,660 times
The only way to make it safe is to allow cops to chop off the hands of those they catch texting while driving right there on the spot. That would stop this moronic practice. Is your life that empty that you need to talk to someone while you drive and your such a pathetic self centered loser that you cant pull your car over as to not endanger other people you selfish pricks. Chop off their hands I say, you will see the texting problem disappear.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The solution sounds reasonable, but certainly the cellphone industry would lobby to prevent any laws that restrict use of their products. So we just have to stay alert and try to dodge those texting half-wits.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
It's more dangerous than DUI so I'd go with Jail Time or suspension

Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's more dangerous than DUI so I'd go with Jail Time or suspension
I'd go with a one to three month suspension for first offense and $1000 fine.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
When driving, I see so many drivers on a daily basis looking down and to the right which I assume the overwhelming majority of them are using their cell phone.
Remember the good old days when the only drivers you saw looking down were perverted old men doing you know what....

Now a days it's hard to tell if someone you see walking down the street talking to themselves are on the phone with their bluetooth or are schizophrenic.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I went to the mall yesterday and it's disturbing to me that 95% of young teens are all on their cell phones while in the mall. These kids are all about the "me me me" mindset anyways. When driving, I see so many drivers on a daily basis looking down and to the right which I assume the overwhelming majority of them are using their cell phone. The general population is ADDICTED to the instant...This including texting, email or seeing a response to their clever facebook update. Anti-texting laws do not stop the problem nor are any sort of deterrent. In fact, it's the opposite, instead of people stopping what they're doing, they're triple-tasking, trying to drive, text and look out for cops to avoid a texting ticket which further endangers us.

Remember how the government advertised analog to digital TV converters and offered coupons a couple of years ago? I wonder if the best solution is to do with similar with some sort of voice to text blue tooth-module...

The vehicle part of the equation is slowly evolving to some sort of bluetooth. It's become standard for the higher-end cars to have bluetooth and it's becoming more common for the lowest level cars have blue tooth optional. But you still have other side of the actual cell phone and it's ability to "mate" with bluetooth. Another problem with the older cell phone is that they either do not have the text to speech. Or has some form of it but still requires you to push multiple button each time in order to get it to speak.

I want to see your thoughts of supporting not the anti-text while driving but support for better technology for both car manufactures, the cell industry and the creation of a cheap "idiot proof" bluetooth module. Create the path of least of least resistance to use the voice technology. Example...You're driving, your phone's in your pocket, press a button on the steering wheel say "Text Jen. I just left, should be there in fifteen minutes". Once you get a text, you hear a little chime, press a button and a voice will say "text from Jen. We are already here waiting on you" This is vs pulling out your phone, turning the screen on, entering your unlock code, press the text icon, new text message or find "Jen's" last text and typing out the message all while both driving and looking out for cops so you don't get a text ticket.

While even this solution will never halt all texting activity (your wife is in the car and you need to text your mistress) it simply seems a better solution than pointless laws...
INTEXTICATED is very dangerous and i agree with you on most but one...it isn't just teenagers

How many middle age drivers are txt behind the wheel...I guess only the elderly who are always accused of driving dangerous are the ones who at least are not driving and txt at the same time...

BTW I'm middle age but feel like 18...and do sometimes txt but only at a stop or traffic light....I want to live and get home to my family and not like that plastic surgeon last week end up dead just to tweet where I was...and btw I don't like tweeting.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
In the OP scenario, why can’t the driver simply send a text before operating the vehicle? It’s crazy to add more junk to the cost of a vehicle that would allow drivers to do “other” things besides “drive” and operate the car.

Cars are not the problem and don’t need to be improved for use with a cell phone. Cell phones are not the problem and shouldn’t need any improvements added to them. However educating the owner of a cell phone who is a driver is something that should be done. If they are too stupid and drive while texting at the same time, they need to be taken off the streets and highways permanently. They are as bad or worse then drunk drivers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
They already have that. Its called a friggin' phone call. You remember those? Where you dial the number and actually have voice-to-voice contact with whomever you called?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The solution sounds reasonable, but certainly the cellphone industry would lobby to prevent any laws that restrict use of their products. So we just have to stay alert and try to dodge those texting half-wits.
Everything I wanted to say already out there. Those that aren't texting and driving just have to be a bit more defensive while behind the wheel. Personally, if you so happen to have a high IQ and text while driving, it drops roughly 60 points. It's stupid. Drop the texting and start talking on your bluetooth when you drive. Or if it's ACTUALLY important or an emergency, PULL OVER. Otherwise wait. It CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies