Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
No he is deciding whether or not to try to stop the slaughter of our troops.
Bush never called it slaughter. He called it "sacrifice." God spoke to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Does anyone else see a pattern here?

Looks ominous, greed soaked, and very aggressive.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Only a Republican would think it a bad thing that the President takes time to plan a strategy. To really think it out well. W did not have an exit strategy for Iraq because he did not PLAN well.
Did he not run his campaign on the fact that he DID have a strategy and the reason that Iraq was such a "failure" is because Bush lacked one?

When he sent those troups back a few months ago, what was that? Was that not part of his strategy? What's changed?

Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Only a Republican would think it a bad thing that the President takes time to plan a strategy. To really think it out well. W did not have an exit strategy for Iraq because he did not PLAN well.
Yes, not to mention Bush took three months to decide on the surge. It is ok to take time and make sure you do the right thing. Besides McCrystal said he needs 10-40K troops in the next 12 months, not today, so I don't see how any action could have prevented the deaths of the 43 servicemen. And I think it is amazingly naive to think that they would not have died if there had been 10-40K more troops on the ground. Our commanders in Vietnam kept asking for more troops, and more troops they got, and casualties went up. And people go on and on about CIC flying to Copenhagen, but they are ignorant of the fact that the CIC met with McCrystal while he was there. They are also ignorant of the fact that the CIC is not isolated from communications while he on the road.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
A "leaked " report from the same General who trashed the Honor Code to award Pat Tillman a Silver Star?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, not to mention Bush took three months to decide on the surge. It is ok to take time and make sure you do the right thing. Besides McCrystal said he needs 10-40K troops in the next 12 months, not today, so I don't see how any action could have prevented the deaths of the 43 servicemen. And I think it is amazingly naive to think that they would not have died if there had been 10-40K more troops on the ground. Our commanders in Vietnam kept asking for more troops, and more troops they got, and casualties went up. And people go on and on about CIC flying to Copenhagen, but they are ignorant of the fact that the CIC met with McCrystal while he was there. They are also ignorant of the fact that the CIC is not isolated from communications while he on the road.
Excellent point and this had crossed my mind...glad you posted this.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Do you know people who have loved ones fighting in Afghanistan? Why don't you ask them if they either want more troops sent now or their loved ones brought home now. They sure don't appreciate any delay in attempting to make their loved ones safer in Afghanistan.
I do have loved ones serving in the Middle East right now.

I want them to be safe and to have the resources they need.

I want the current administration to take a little time (as they are) to come up with a plan based on the facts of right now (not 8 months ago) rather than rushing into a military intervention or withdrawal.

Action without thought does not make my loved ones safer - it actually could put them at greater risk, in my opinion.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You mean Obama met with the General without Rush there?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
First of all Obama is not planning ANY strategy, he has no clue about that stuff. His Generals have a strategy and he's not listening. I think it's foolish if you think Obama knows ANYTHING at all about military strategies.

Apparently the previous CinC knew less, in Gen McChrystal's 60 Minutes he basically said he's now attempting to correct the past 7 years which were at best a debacle.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Did he not run his campaign on the fact that he DID have a strategy and the reason that Iraq was such a "failure" is because Bush lacked one?

When he sent those troups back a few months ago, what was that? Was that not part of his strategy? What's changed?
Ah, no what Obama ran on was refocusing attention on Afghanistan, he said that he would send more troops (which he did) he never stated that he had The Plan!

And even if he had The Plan®, the plan during the campaign isn't the plan for today. As McChrystal has pointed out, Afghanistan if far worse than even he imagined prior to taking command.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies