Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,296,932 times

Advertisements

You all are so obtuse and rooted in partisan ideology you can't see the forrest for the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There was no Mrs. Letterman when this relationship was happening! Single, a bachelor, unmarried, playing the field, unattached!
This happened before 1986? Wow, the extortionist sure was patient.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Azriver - you discount the fact that we place politicians and entertainers in the same category in our country. I simply noted the hypocrisy of the mouthpiece for the left engaging in the same behavior he condemned the entire GOP for. Sanford is no more reflective of all republican behavior than letterman is of democrats behavior.

How ironic that there are numerous comments about limbaugh's drug use despite the fact that he is no more a politician than letterman.

Consistency and fairness are the keys to long term success and respect. Sanford was wrong. Letterman was wrong. Letterman reaches millions each night. Before his affair most americans Had never heard of Sanford.
No, we do not place politicians and entertainers in the same category in this country. You might do that but the rest of the country doesn't. One group leads our country and the other entertains our country. They have different expectations placed upon them. And I don't think Sanford is reflective of all Republican behavior. I don't see anyone else saying that either.

I agree that Limbaugh and Letterman are in the same category. But I haven't said that Limbaugh's drug use is worse than Letterman's affair. If you want to criticize Letterman for his hypocrisy, that is a valid point and he is certainly deserving of that. However, you can't compare an entertainer like Letterman or Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck for that matter to a governor of a state. If you are a governor and you win your election based on the promise of family values and you cheat on your wife, you are not holding up your promise to that statement because you ran on particular platform and failed to honor it. People voted for Sanford because they believed he is a principled individual and thus his decisions as governor would similarly be ruled by those principles. Since he betrayed those principles and the people of his state, he deserves more criticism than an entertainer who doesn't hold this same obligation.

But I do agree that some of these defenses of Letterman are weak. Saying that Letterman is less culpable because he was only married 7 months versus Sanford who was married for 20+ years makes no difference to me. Cheating and adultery is wrong regardless of how long someone was married or when they started a particular affair.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-02-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 PM

az, the point of the thread was the hypocrisy. I condemned both men for their behavior.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
az, the point of the thread was the hypocrisy. I condemned both men for their behavior.
I think that's a valid point. I agree

Old 10-02-2009, 03:53 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,205,381 times
Quote:
This happened before 1986? Wow, the extortionist sure was patient.
He was unmarried up until March of this year.

They began dating in 1986 when she worked on his show. 23 years of a relationship with no marriage until a kid was born - I'd say Letterman and Lasko might have been on-again, off-again, who knows? Maybe they were friends with benefits. Maybe Letterman never wanted to get married and settle down with one woman, but they got married for the sake of the baby. I don't know, and it really isn't my business. Letterman is known as someone who keeps his private life private, and doesn't live large and loud like some other celebrities.

News is that the extortionist, Robert Halderman, was living with a woman who'd been a partner of Letterman's earlier, and when they (Halderman and this woman) broke up, he had her diary that told about her earlier relationship with Letterman - which occurred before Letterman and Lasko married.

So why no talk about what a creep Halderman is? The type who will go through his girlfriend's past and extort her old boyfriends? He's a 51 year old award-winning professional - acting like a spurned 18 year old.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,415,207 times
Quote:
You all are so obtuse and rooted in partisan ideology you can't see the forrest for the trees.
More right wing projecting.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,050,174 times
Quote:
said the pot to the kettle..

Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
He was unmarried up until March of this year.

They began dating in 1986 when she worked on his show. 23 years of a relationship with no marriage until a kid was born - I'd say Letterman and Lasko might have been on-again, off-again, who knows? Maybe they were friends with benefits. Maybe Letterman never wanted to get married and settle down with one woman, but they got married for the sake of the baby. I don't know, and it really isn't my business. Letterman is known as someone who keeps his private life private, and doesn't live large and loud like some other celebrities.

News is that the extortionist, Robert Halderman, was living with a woman who'd been a partner of Letterman's earlier, and when they (Halderman and this woman) broke up, he had her diary that told about her earlier relationship with Letterman - which occurred before Letterman and Lasko married.

So why no talk about what a creep Halderman is? The type who will go through his girlfriend's past and extort her old boyfriends? He's a 51 year old award-winning professional - acting like a spurned 18 year old.
In defense of the OP, he never said Halderman was innocent either. He made a valid point. Letterman took public shots at Sanford while having an affair himself during that time, which proves Letterman's hypocrisy. I'm sure the OP would agree that Halderman is a despicable individual for trying to extort another human being.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,050,174 times
Quote:
I'll be sure to look for the thread you started concerning Nevada Senator Ensign apologizing to Bill Clinton..

Can you point me in that direction?

Just for giggles in case you didn't know:

Ensign is considered a leading voice among social conservatives in the GOP. In 1998, as a House member running against Reid, he called on President Bill Clinton to resign after revelations about his affair with a White House intern. "He sent taxpayer-paid staff out to lie for him, and that is a misuse of office," Ensign said, adding that the president had "no credibility left."

Nevada Senator Ensign Admits Affair With Former Staffer - washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies