Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,526,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I agree...talk about a country that is pumped about soccer as it is. That may be the biggest blow out ever.
I think it will be. Jeez, I'm jealous of anyone heading to the World Cup in Brazil. Brazil & Italy are my favorite teams, I can't decide which one I like better. But those brazilians, damn do they know how to have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,628,021 times
kidnapping and robbery is an olympic sport in Rio ... people thought the smog was bad in Beijing??? At least the crime wasn't anywhere near what Rio's is. It's going to take them 6.5 years just to make sure it's safe to be there!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM

597 posts, read 1,295,365 times
Hi my friends from Chicago, Tokyo and Madri
I am sorry for all of you.
Rio de Janeiro is the hostes of 2016 Olimpic Games.
"YES, WE DONE".
Now you can wait for 2020.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,157,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I guess many of the members of the International Olympic Committee have at least flown through Chicago. Obama has to be dense as a stump, or as stubborn, to think Chicago would pull a significant number of votes.
...especially with Rio being the first ever South American contender, it was the favorite as they could do something "ground-breaking"...

Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,415,764 times
Did anyone watch the presentation? I couldn't sleep last night and flipped on MSNBC right when they went Live to the presentation of the Chicago delegation. They didn't show all the other countries' presentations, but based on what I saw, it's no wonder Chicago was out in the first round. What boring drivel. There was no excitement or enthusiasm from almost any of the speakers.

I'm probably one of the biggest Michelle Obama fans on this site, but what the hell does her father have to do with anything? She was sitting on his knee watching Carl Lewis? Really? Now that's a scary image (do the math). And President Obama looked stern and grumpy. What's up with that? I think he went way too far to the "look Presidential" side of the spectrum and missed out on the opportunity to show his endearing side. Bah. They all messed it up.

Oh well, I suspected all along that Rio was going to get the games this time anyway, so there was probably little that could've been done to change the outcome. Congrats to Rio -- I do think it's well-deserved and will be a fabulous host city.

Olé!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,526,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Hi my friends from Chicago, Tokyo and Madri
I am sorry for all of you.
Rio de Janeiro is the hostes of 2016 Olimpic Games.
"YES, WE DONE".
Now you can wait for 2020.
LOL, yes well congratulations. Now you guys better make that & the World Cup the parties of the century!

613 posts, read 1,052,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Not at all, you thinking it's a fail is what is actually the fail. And actually, it's a disappointment for this country. Too bad you're so hideously worked over w/hatred that you can't see that.
I am not worked over by hate. First I dont think the president should of went over there. Second I think it would be a disaster for chicago and im glad Rio got it they have never held the olyimpcs there. The prez has more important things to do like Iran,Afgan, unemployment at 9.8% and HC he shouldnt be campaigning for his cronies in chicago.

12,867 posts, read 14,871,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
This Poll contradicts you.
i guess it just depends on what poll you are looking at, as with most polls.

Chicago 2016 says the estimated $4.8 billion cost would come from donors, corporate sponsors, tickets and TV rights. It has more than $1 billion in insurance and $750 million in city and state pledges to cover overruns.

The City Council voted unanimously this month to take full financial responsibility. In the Tribune poll, taken before that vote, 84% of Chicagoans opposed. (maybe they wanted the olympics but didn't want to pay for the olympics)

Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,819,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
The 2016 Summer Olympics will go to RIO
So Barry and Meeechelle just took a trip for nothing???? Can Barry not accomplish anything????? Seeing the latest unemployment numbers, I'd say Barry needs to get to work on the economy.

Congrats to Rio!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,906,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Brazil is hosting the World Cup???? God da*n, I need to get over there for that for sure!!!! Oh man, that party is going to beat any other party in the world ever. Even better than the olympics.
Yep. The World Cup will be insane there. Going to be awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies