Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 04:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

One other thing - Beck was talking about Valerie Jarrett, who would profit from the Olympics coming to Chicago - not one of you obama supporters gave a whoopee about that. That's why he was "glad" the games did not come here - who wants to reward corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 04:00 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
ya know with all the crap going on in the world and at home the Prez shouldnt be doing the jobs of a gov or mayor. me thinks maybe his new job is way over his head and feels more comfortable with his self imposed demotions.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 PM

480 posts, read 878,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Republicans should be ashamed.
I don't think it's fair to blame Republicans in general for the disturbing words of Limbaugh and Beck. I bet several Conservative leaders come out against these comments. I see more and more Republicans distancing themselves from the disturbing lack of patriotism and all-out Obama hate-fest by these extremists.

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

These people really don't get how much the upper Midwest could have used the Olympics. It was a long shot from the beginning and Obama debated going for quite some time (knowing the flack he'd take for it), but to not even try and do something to help bolster the most ailing region of the country would have been far worse than spending 17 hours away (during which time he actually kept working on other things - imagine that, a president multi-tasking).

Come on folks. Enough of this. Be outraged at important stuff, not suddenly pretending to care about the environment and the poor just because it's politically opportunitistic.
he doesn't seem to be too good at multi-tasking. i can't think of one thing he has actually accomplished yet.

the economy is in ruins.
we are further in debt as a country, with an unbelievable debt load.
we are still fighting 2 wars.
we didn't get the olympics (not crying over that one).
we have rising unemployment.
our relations are strained with great britain, as evidenced by the release of the lockerbie bomber.
our relations are strained with china, as evidenced by our now subtle trade war.
gitmo isn't closed (not crying over that one either).
wall street is still corrupt, with no reform.
bankers are still getting ridiculous bonuses for poor performance.
GM lost saturn, and GM sales were down 45% this month.

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Bush wanted the Olympics in NYC for 2012. He swore the federal government would fork out the cost for security (over 1.5 Billion) in tax-payer money. However, NYC did not get them. London got them. Tony Blair and French leaders flew to Singapore to support their countries and London came out winner.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:07 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bush wanted the Olympics in NYC for 2012. He swore the federal government would fork out the cost for security (over 1.5 Billion) in tax-payer money. However, NYC did not get them. London got them. Tony Blair and French leaders flew to Singapore to support their countries and London came out winner.
This is why I don't want the Olympics in this country.

If Chicago or any other city wants to host the Olmpiad then they should pay for it.

We also sent our Navy to secure the Olympics in Greece a couple year ago. If I remember right.

What a total sham. Why should we provide security for Athens with U.S. tax money.

I call that theft.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Why are people making an issue of this. I'm a Republican and not an Obama fan. But I fail to see how this was a bad thing. He was trying to bring the Olympics to his country and hometown. I think that's a noble effort. Unfortunately, it didn't work out but he tried. Why should he be criticized for that.

I've been as critical of Obama as anyone but there are valid criticisms and there are politically motivated criticisms. It seems rather petty and desperte to criticize him because the IOC chose Rio over Chicago. And frankly, Rio deserved it. There hasn't been an Olympics in South America. Rio is a beautiful city with a lot to offer. It will make for a fun Olympic games. Chicago had a great application too but the U.S. has been fortunate to have a summer games once in the last 2 decades. I don't think Chicago was snubbed because the President supported it. I don't think the IOC was politically motivated. It's funny to listen to some people act like there was a conspiracy theory. Why don't we as Americans just admit that another city deserved it more than us?

I understand criticizing him for failing to prioritize during this time but I don't agree with those reasons. President Bush took serveral mini-vacations and breaks in Crawford Texas. Bill Clinton was notorious for taking vacations. It goes with the job. It's a stressful and continuous job to be President and they need breaks. This trip wasn't extraneous. He was gone for less than a day.

I'm not saying let's not criticize Obama. Obama deserves a lot of criticism but let's keep it to salient points and not because he tried to help us get the Olympics.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
floridasandy, he's now been in office about 9 months. I think most who looked at his presidency with a rational eye weren't expecting miracles in that time-frame.

The Credit Card Reform Bill is going to help a lot of people though and you conveniently left that out.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why are people making an issue of this. I'm a Republican and not an Obama fan. But I fail to see how this was a bad thing. He was trying to bring the Olympics to his country and hometown. I think that's a noble effort. Unfortunately, it didn't work out but he tried. Why should he be criticized for that.

I've been as critical of Obama as anyone but there are valid criticisms and there are politically motivated criticisms. It seems rather petty and desperte to criticize him because the IOC chose Rio over Chicago. And frankly, Rio deserved it. There hasn't been an Olympics in South America. Rio is a beautiful city with a lot to offer. It will make for a fun Olympic games.

I understand criticizing him for failing to prioritize during this time but I don't agree with those. President Bush took serveral mini-vacations and breaks in Crawford Texas. Bill Clinton was notorious for taking vacations. It goes with the job. It's a stressful and continuous job to be President and they need breaks. This trip wasn't extraneous. He was gone for less than a day.

I'm not saying let's not criticize Obama. Obama deserves a lot of criticism but let's keep it to salient points and not because he tried to help us get the Olympics.
Yeah I think its such a cheap shot to try to nail him on that. Any other president in the same spot would have done the same thing, guaranteed.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
This is why I don't want the Olympics in this country.

If Chicago or any other city wants to host the Olmpiad then they should pay for it.

We also sent our Navy to secure the Olympics in Greece a couple year ago. If I remember right.

What a total sham. Why should we provide security for Athens with U.S. tax money.

I call that theft.
Sydney made 1.5 billion in profit. Call it theft if you must. The olympics create jobs, provide a boost for local economy and promote the country as whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies