Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

PBS has Frontline show online about CC's if anyone interested. Very good history on how it got to this point:

frontline: secret history of the credit card | PBS

----------------

As far as the banks if you want to stick it to them start paying in cash, not only are you wiping the potential out for them to charge you fees but you're also eliminating the fees merchants pay.

I make it to point to try and pay everything in cash

Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

As far as the banks if you want to stick it to them start paying in cash, not only are you wiping the potential out for them to charge you fees but you're also eliminating the fees merchants pay.

Me too. It's my form of "bailout" protest.
I figure that's the only way I can really strike back..in their wallets where it hurts. I wish more people would start doing it. Then WE THE PEOPLE will finally be heard.

The only way to get them back is through their wallets. Our voices are not being heard so hit'em where it hurts...their "bottom line".

Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Me too. It's my form of "bailout" protest.
I figure that's the only way I can really strike back..in their wallets where it hurts. I wish more people would start doing it. Then WE THE PEOPLE will finally be heard.

The only way to get them back is through their wallets. Our voices are not being heard so hit'em where it hurts...their "bottom line".
I have stopped using credit cards as well. My debit card is the only card I use.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Actually, what they need to take a look at is taking all of the stuff away from folks who don't pay, and tossing them out of their current environment.

I'm not advocating debtor prison, but a minimal existence until making decent repayments is OK with me!
Did you know that where you shop can impact your credit? So much is out of our hands. And before the internet our credit reports were hard to get hold of.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
PBS has Frontline show online about CC's if anyone interested. Very good history on how it got to this point:

frontline: secret history of the credit card | PBS

----------------

GREAT idea

Old 10-02-2009, 09:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Did you know that where you shop can impact your credit? So much is out of our hands. And before the internet our credit reports were hard to get hold of.
Yes I do. When I was using a credit card, I would love shopping at Walmart and a high end retailer on the same day.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I use my credit cards all the time but pay them in full each month. I get points, rebates, and extended warranties on electronics. I don't have a problem with doing things this way.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Sounds like theOP is in trouble and wants people to dive in with him/her. No thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 01:16 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
I'm diving in! Or rather, I did a few years ago. It's rather liberating to not give a $#!+ about my credit score!

I'm no less intelligent or moral, or gonna die any less dead if I have bad credit.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
My wife and I had credit cards and were easily making the payments to pay down what we owed. Then my wife lost her job and her constant back pain made getting another job impossible. The day she lost her job I called the creditors we could no longer afford to pay and asked for a way to work something out until she could get disability. NONE of them were willing to work with me. My wife is now on disability, my child support is over, and my car is now paid off. I'm one payment away from paying out what I owe to one of the creditors. I'll have a part on my car fixed ($500) and then work with the collections of the other creditors to pay them out. What upsets me about the whole thing is I called them in order to work with them and they were unwilling to do so. They, the creditors, deserve the hatred they receive. I wasn't a deadbeat looking to ignore debt simply because I couldn't afford it. I'm not going to make the mistake of getting credit cards again. Correction. We'll probably get one credit card since most car rental places require a credit card to rent cars from them. I have one other credit card and they've been very good to me. Have a Firestone card and it's only used for auto repairs and tires. Even if you pay the minimum balance due, the total balance goes down. It's been very handy for some emergency repairs. However, only the dealership can fix this new problem. Never buying GM vehicles again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies