Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 03:18 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
lol... Hi sweetie. (and thank you for the compliment)
Anytime...you know I loves ya!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 03:18 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
And.....why impeachment? Come on guys, surely you can give a good answer.
Hope springs eternal.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
"At times America has been dismissive, even derisive...".
I think the core problem here is a values divide. The progressive mind is one that is comfortable pointing out its shortcomings and finding strength in being honest and forthright about what has and has not worked for both oneself and nations and moving forward together.

The conservative mind is one that believes strength lies in appearing impenetrable and never admitting to a mistake. Any admission of weakness (as an individual or a country) is seen as a shortcoming.

Thus, why progressives tend to be more nurturing (they are the feminine side of the political equation, after all) and conservatives tend to be more authoritarian (they are the masculine side)

When Obama goes overseas and admits America hasn't been perfect, while also pointing out the shortcomings of other nations, most progressives say to themselves, "Well, no crap." and see it as a way to loosen others' defense mechanisms and move forward diplomatically and peacefully. Many of us are actually very proud of Obama's handling of foreign affairs.

In contrast, most conservatives get outraged at ever admitting such a thing and saw greater value in Bush's swaggering motif of dictating to other countries how they should act and never admitting to a mistake until he was in the lame duck phase and had nothing to lose.

There's value in both perspectives, and a place for both in different contexts, but hopefully you can at least understand where the Obama worldview is rooted the next time you see him pointing out a situation in which America didn't act perfectly. It doesn't mean he doesn't love his country. It's just the progressive belief that we can always do better.

Last edited by Bluefly; 10-03-2009 at 03:59 AM..

Old 10-03-2009, 03:58 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
In fewer words, the difference is one between approaching the world as it is, and approching the world as one wishes it were or had been. Reason versus emotion. Intellect versus imagination. Take your pick, but realize that one approach is more challenging and demanding than the other, and there will always be those who turn back once encountering challenge and demand...

Old 10-03-2009, 04:14 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
You find Obama repulsive?

yes, I do
when I first heard him at the dem convention I thought he was great
where had he been?
then I saw the kind of person he is durning the campaign and did not like him at all
now, I am so sick of him
he is a slimy huckster and the worst president of all
his policies are horrible and he is so busy being in love with his own self
he has become repulsive to me
look at him in one of his on-going speeches
he nade the olympics all about him, good grief
he blathered on about all the millions of people before there TV's watching him get elected
he seriously needs a wake up call

Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
The whole premise of this thread is a joke.

Obama = bad because I say so.
I have no proof.
If you disagree you are not as smart as me.
Since you are not as smart as me and what I say = truth
Obama = bad

The that is the sum of the argument in simple terms.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Obama has created a deep partisan divide in this country. He lied throughout his campaign and people bought into his hope and change which turned out to be bait and switch. The left were so happy to see him elected President that they will defend him no matter the circumstance.
What's most ironic about this thread is that I've been pretty impressed with how he has followed through on what he said he would do during the campaign. From ramping up the war in Afghanistan to health care to refocusing international relations on diplomacy to using the levers of government to stabilize the economy, he's been pretty consistent with his campaign promises.

Something tells me that our friend from El Paso was never really on board his vision from the beginning. Why do I think this? Anyone who uses the phrase "the left" is clearly using it to establish them as a political "other.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
The thing is obama is so inept that there not be another black president elected for hundreds of years, which unfortunately means that many black people that would be qualified for it will be passed over.

Unfortunately, there is a growing number of people who will not now consider a white male conservative for the office of president, no matter how qualified he might be, nor how open he might sound or be to the the wishes of all Americans not just those of his party.

Last edited by plannine; 10-03-2009 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: oe to or

Old 10-03-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I don't have to mull anything over. I knew before he was elected.
We knew before he was elected, that you would not have a good thing to say, no matter what.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:32 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
The absolute hysteria and hatred that is being stirred up by the right wing is absolutely shameful.
All Presidents make unpopular decisions but they would make no decisions if they were infuenced by biased self interest media propoganda. Unfortunately many Americans believe what they see on TV and lies become facts to them. Fox News is a great example of how a News station can influence millions of people and use lies to make their point. I love to watch the first five minutes of Hannity to see what subject or action of the President he can link to bad politics and try to "bash" Obama.Even School violence in Chicago was linked to the President and his bid for the Olympics...maybe these kind of stupid news reports helped stopped America get the Olympics.
Obama is the President and he is trying to make America a better place for EVERYONE. Unfortunately the bitter defeated right wing have different plans. They have their eyes firmly fixed on the next round of elections and want to destroy Obama ( and probably America in the process) at all costs.
I see so many outright lies about UHC's or even about crime etc that i really wonder how supposedly intelligent people fall for the propoganda and B/S that the media uses as a political football.
Do YOU really believe it or just go along with it to get the Dem's out?
Whatever the reasons, this stupidity to go against every single action of the President is watched with amazement from abroad and probably is giving every other Country a good laugh at America's expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies