Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Ruppert Murdochs clients like Fox Network, he was Hillary's biggest contributor
looking back, i bet that most people would rather have seen hillary in the white house now. i am no longer a fan of hillary's (after doing more research) but she still was a better candidate than either mccain or obama. she did stand out against NAFTA when it was negotiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
When celebrities use their fame to push their political agendas, boycotts are appropriate and not at all childish.
LOL....but totally ineffective....

Since when did having an entertainment career mean you give up your citizenship?

To think that way is totally stupid.

Entertainers aren't "boycotted" because they speak out, they're "boycotted" because they have opposing views.

And the entertainers never notice the feeble and meaningless attempt to stop them.....LOL!

Or do you agree Charlton Heston and Ronald Reagan should've just Shut Up and made movies ??

(actually I wish they would've but I would NEVER deny their right to speak out or even become President...)

Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Just a heads up on a current boycott in progress and that is the NFL Michael Vick boycott. Check out link;

BOYCOTT NFL SPONSORS FOR VICK Petition

Zogby and Gallup say the magic number is 1.5 million. It is attainable and for instance if 1.5 million petitions are sent to a sponsor of "The View" you will see some action!
Oh dear, you are easily duped, aren't you. Are you so naive that you believe that
1. Companies will stop sponsoring NFL games because one of 53 players on one of 32 teams has been convicted of and served time for a crime?
2. Online petitions matter to anyone? (You might want to check out some of the all of 14,000+ names on that petition you linked. The last page-- all I bothered to check -- lists multiple duplicate "signatures" -- and the sort of comments that don't speak well of the signers. A reasonable person will understand why these on line petitions are pretty much meaningless.)

One and half million people go online and sign a silly petition any the largest manufacturers in the world quake in their shoes. Right. Most of those people signing that online petition have no intention of boycotting anything, they think signing an online petition is actually doing something and that's enough for them. Those -- if any -- who are really not buying a product they use to or were going to buy make up such a small number that the sponsor won't even notice.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,169 times
I look at them as clowns to laugh at not to listen to

Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Have you had enough of Hollywood Elitists advancing their warped agendas through their Television and Movie Productions?

Do you get sick and tired of hearing Oprah, Sean Penn, The View, Larry King and so on spew out their way and you disagree you are an idiot point of view? For instance Roman Polanski?

If you are then write to the companies who advertise with them. Let them know you are fed up with their support of the likes of David Letterman, Chris Mathews, Oprah, The View and so on!

Please post Television and Movies that you believe should be BOYCOTTED along with their sponsors!
I get sick and tired of hearing Beck, Hannity, Limgbaugh, and crew spew their right wing hate nonsense. My solution is to not listen/watch any of them. I guess you could say that I "boycott" Fox news. I don't think Fox has noted my absence from their audience. Likewise, the celebrities that you mention will not notice your and your posse's absence from their audiences. You all may continue to tilt at windmills by promoting boycotts, but you can rest assured that they will be to no avail.

What is more interesting is why you feel the need to make this attempt to control what people say, hear, or think. Why can't you be content with making a personal decsion to not see a movie or watch a TV show? Why do you feel this need to control what I or others might want to see/hear?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
i think the reason people choose to boycott anything is that the only way they can individually make a difference is by withholding their money. we cannot get our representatives to listen to us and we cannot get the laws enforced, so people who actually feel strongly that change is needed do what they can. you may be right in saying that it is not enough, but it is, at least, a start.

i bet the government would start listening if taxpayers withheld their taxes.........

Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

i bet the government would start listening if taxpayers withheld their taxes.........
I bet the government would start prosecuting if taxpayers withheld their taxes...

Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
I guess what makes me confused the most is why famous people suddenly think their views and opinions on things are so important that they must spread them far and wide through interviews, movies, tv shows etc...

I mean I've been interviewed before to with regard to my job....and you want to know something, there was not one question or comment made by either me or the interviewer that had anything to do with any political or moral issue. I have no idea why these famous non-elected people think their opinions are so important that they must weave them into the very fabric of their public existance.

Narcissism is about the only word I can think of that describes the way they must think.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Well everyone is free to watch or not watch anyone. The fact is that I don't find much coming out of Hollywood these days very entertaining. Movies have really gone down hill. Where are the movies like "To kill a mockingbird", "Mr. Smith goes to Washington"? I don't know if Hollywood has an agenda or if they are just completely out of touch with what people want to watch.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I guess what makes me confused the most is why famous people suddenly think their views and opinions on things are so important that they must spread them far and wide through interviews, movies, tv shows etc...
Because in their worlds many are very important and they believe that means they are very important in all worlds. They can say what they want, we can listen or not. The fault isn't with them but with anyone who is influenced by someone because s/he is famous for acting or sports or being "personalities". That's not to say that some of those famous people aren't well informed and aren't as worth listening to as many other Talking Heads we see on TV. As a lefty, am I interested in what George Clooney, Ben Affleck or even Brad Pitt have to say on some subjects which border on political? Depending on the subject, yes. Do I care what Jane Fonda or Barbra Streisand ever had to say about anything? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies