Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

For some reason every one of our states mentions God in their preamble. Our President told the Muslims in Cairo that we are not a Christian nation and I am wondering when he will change any of these preambles. Maybe the ACLU may come up with something to change the wordiing.

I took this list from a new website, well new to me, called Mommylife. It is written by a former activist of the Ayers days who managed to change her beliefs after marrying another drug addict who she met in a drying out place. The site is written by Barbara Curtis and you can access it by using this URL.

Mommy Life

50 State preambles affirm belief in God

Despite claims to the contrary - even by our current president - this IS a Christian nation. We claimed freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. This is a pervasive cry throughout all our founding history and documents.

One of the moms on the Glenn Beck 9-12 Moms show mentioned that every state affirms God in the preamble. That's worth knowing, so I'm rerunning my 4/26/07 piece:

Do you know the Preamble for your state?

Alabama 1901, Preamble: We the people of the State of Alabama, invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish the following Constitution. . . .
Alaska 1956, Preamble: We, the people of Alaska, grateful to God and to those who founded our nation and pioneered this great land. . . .

Arizona 1911, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Arizona, grateful to Almighty God for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution. . .

Arkansas 1874, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Arkansas, grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government. . .

California 1879, Preamble: We, the People of the State of California, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom. . .

Colorado 1876, Preamble: We, the people of Colorado, with profound reverence for the Supreme Ruler of Universe. . .

Connecticut 1818, Preamble: The People of Connecticut, acknowledging with gratitude the good Providence of God in permitting them to enjoy. . .

Delaware 1897, Preamble: Through Divine Goodness all men have, by nature, the rights of worshipping and serving their Creator according to the dictates of their consciences. . .

Florida 1885, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Florida, grateful to Almighty God for our constitutional liberty, establish this Constitution. . .

Georgia 1777, Preamble: We, the people of Georgia, relying upon protection and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish this Constitution. . .

Hawaii 1959, Preamble: We, the people of Hawaii, grateful for Divine Guidance. . .Establish this Constitution.

Idaho 1889, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Idaho, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings.

Illinois 1870, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Illinois, grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy and looking to Him for a blessing on our endeavors.

Indiana 1851, Preamble: We, the People of the State of Indiana, grateful to Almighty God for the free exercise of the right to choose our form of government.

Iowa 1857, Preamble: We, the People of the State of Iowa , grateful to the Supreme Being for the blessings hitherto enjoyed, and feeling our dependence on Him for a continuation of these blessings establish this Constitution. . .

Kansas 1859, Preamble: We, the people of Kansas, grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious privileges establish this Constitution. . .

Kentucky 1891, Preamble: We, the people of the Commonwealth are grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties. . .

Louisiana 1921, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Louisiana , grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties we enjoy. . .

Maine 1820, Preamble: We the People of Maine acknowledging with grateful hearts the goodness of the Sovereign Ruler of the Universe in affording us an opportunity:.. And imploring His aid and direction. . .

Maryland 1776, Preamble: We, the people of the state of Maryland, grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberty...

Massachusetts 1780, Preamble: We...the people of Massachusetts, acknowledging with grateful hearts, the goodness of the Great Legislator of the Universe, In the course of His Providence, an opportunity and devoutly imploring His direction. . .

Michigan 1908, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Michigan, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of freedom establish this Constitution. . .

Minnesota, 1857, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Minnesota, grateful to God for our civil and religious liberty, and desiring to perpetuate its blessings. . .

Mississippi 1890, Preamble: We, the people of Mississippi in convention assembled, grateful to Al mighty God, and invoking His blessing on our work.

Missouri 1845, Preamble: We, the people of Missouri, with profound reverence for the Supreme Ruler of the Universe, and grateful for His goodness, Establish this Constitution. . .

Montana 1889, Preamble: We, the people of Montana, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of liberty establish this Constitution. . .

Nebraska 1875, Preamble: We, the people, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, Establish this Constitution. . .

Nevada 1864, Preamble: We the people of the State of Nevada, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom establish this Constitution. . .

New Hampshire 1792, Part I. Art. I. Sec. V Every individual has a natural and unalienable right to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience. . .

New Jersey 1844, Preamble: We, the people of the State of New Jersey, grateful to Almighty God for civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing on our endeavors.

New Mexico 1911, Preamble: We, the People of New Mexico, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of liberty. . .

New York 1846, Preamble: We, the people of the State of New York, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, in order to secure its blessings. . .

North Carolina 1868, Preamble: We the people of the State of North Carolina, grateful to Almighty God, the Sovereign Ruler of Nations, for our civil, political, and religious liberties, and acknowledging our dependence upon Him for the continuance of those. . .

North Dakota 1889, Preamble: We, the people of North Dakota, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, do ordain...

Ohio 1852, Preamble: We the people of the state of Ohio, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings and to promote our common. . .

Oklahoma 1907, Preamble: Invoking the guidance of Almighty God, in order to secure and perpetuate the blessings of liberty:..

Oregon 1857, Bill of Rights, Article I. Section 2. All men shall be secure in the Natural right, to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their consciences..

Pennsylvania 1776, Preamble: We, the people of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance. . .

Rhode Island 1842, Preamble: We the People of the State of Rhode Island grateful to Almighty God for the civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing . .

South Carolina, 1778, Preamble: We, the people of he State of South Carolina grateful to God for our liberties, do ordain and establish this Constitution.

South Dakota 1889, Preamble: We, the people of South Dakota , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberties

Tennessee 1796, Art. XI.III: That all men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their conscience...

Texas 1845, Preamble: We the People of the Republic of Texas , acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God. . .

Utah 1896, Preamble: Grateful to Almighty God for life and liberty, we establish this Constitution.

Vermont 1777, Preamble: Whereas all government ought to enable the individuals who compose it to enjoy their natural rights, and other blessings which the Author of Existence has bestowed on man

Virginia 1776, Bill of Rights, XVI: Religion, or the Duty which we owe our Creator can be directed only by Reason and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian Forbearance, Love and Charity towards each other

Washington 1889, Preamble: We the People of the State of Washington , grateful to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution

West Virginia 1872, Preamble: Since through Divine Providence we enjoy the blessings of civil, political and religious liberty, we, the people of West Virginia reaffirm our faith in and constant reliance upon God:

Wisconsin 1848, Preamble: We, the people of Wisconsin , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, domestic tranquility. . .

Wyoming 1890, Preamble: We, the people of the State of Wyoming , grateful to God for our civil, political, and religious liberties:. establish this Constitution.

After reviewing acknowledgments of God from all 50 state constitutions, one is faced with the prospect that maybe, the ACLU and the out-of-control federal courts are wrong! Please pass on this information.

Thanks to Martha Sears for sending me this!

Love,

Barbara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 02:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Jews and the Islamic faith pray to the same God as the Christians do? Last I heard, neither one was Christian.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Jews and the Islamic faith pray to the same God as the Christians do? Last I heard, neither one was Christian.
I really don't know about that. The Muslims pray to Allah and the Hebrews pray to Jehovah and a myriad of other names. Some people believe that there is a strong resemblance in the god of the three religions but I think that only the Christians call their deity, God. I could be wrong though.

Did you read the various ways that the states said the words around God? I don't think that you find that kind of wording in either Hebrew or Muslim words.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
I am glad that some states use different wording. I prefer the great provider. That conjures up non religious images for me, if I want to see the energy my own way. Humans don't have to be stuck in a deep rut about these things. I believe the 3 "main" religions believe in the God of Abraham. They can have that one. My god never had an angry moment.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Supreme ruler of the Universe, if I remember correctly, isn't one of the Christian Gods names mentioned in the bible.

So thats one down.

Deleware metions a creator, just like the Deceleration of Independance, but that again, doesn't mean the Christian God.

Thats two

Hawaii mentions divine guidance, thats not the Christian God name.

Thats three

Iowa says Supreme Being, but mentions "In the year of our lord" which was common practice in the time, so I'm not buying that one either.

Thats four,

My favorite, because its my state

Tennessee only has "in the year of our lord" in it. It does use the word God, but only to establish a seperation of church and State

Article 1, Section 2:
That all men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own conscience;
Article 9, Section 1:
Whereas ministers of the Gospel are by their profession, dedicated to God and the care of souls, and ought not to be diverted from the great duties of their functions; therefore, no minister of the Gospel, or priest of any denomination whatever, shall be eligible to a seat in either House of the Legislature.
Article 9, Section 2:
No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Need I continue? There are a few more examples.

Also, notice that when the word "God" or "Almighty God" are used, it never says Christian anywhere in them.

So who's God? That was the reason that Jefferson used the word "Creator" in the decleration specifically. He didn't want to favor one religious group over another, as he was a secularist.

Also, the Federal government doesn't have it in its Constitution. Just because a state makes mention of a God, doesn't make the entire country a Christian nation. We are a nation of many religions, many cultures, and thats what makes America great.

Please, don't try and take away from that.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
[color="Red"]For some reason every one of our states mentions God in their preamble. Our President told the Muslims in Cairo that we are not a Christian nation and I am wondering when he will change any of these preambles. Maybe the ACLU may come up with something to change the wording.
Now, now. Be fair. The President said in that speech IN TURKEY...

Quote:
....And I’ve said before that one of the great strengths of the United States is – although as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation; we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values....

Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Technicality yes they do but call Him something different. I know Muslims even believe in Jesus and see Him as a religious profit as do the Jews I believe the only real difference is that Christians believe He was the son of God.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Supreme ruler of the Universe, if I remember correctly, isn't one of the Christian Gods names mentioned in the bible.

So thats one down.

Deleware metions a creator, just like the Deceleration of Independance, but that again, doesn't mean the Christian God.

Thats two

Hawaii mentions divine guidance, thats not the Christian God name.

Thats three

Iowa says Supreme Being, but mentions "In the year of our lord" which was common practice in the time, so I'm not buying that one either.

Thats four,

My favorite, because its my state

Tennessee only has "in the year of our lord" in it. It does use the word God, but only to establish a seperation of church and State

Article 1, Section 2:
That all men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own conscience;
Article 9, Section 1:
Whereas ministers of the Gospel are by their profession, dedicated to God and the care of souls, and ought not to be diverted from the great duties of their functions; therefore, no minister of the Gospel, or priest of any denomination whatever, shall be eligible to a seat in either House of the Legislature.
Article 9, Section 2:
No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Need I continue? There are a few more examples.

Also, notice that when the word "God" or "Almighty God" are used, it never says Christian anywhere in them.

So who's God? That was the reason that Jefferson used the word "Creator" in the decleration specifically. He didn't want to favor one religious group over another, as he was a secularist.

Also, the Federal government doesn't have it in its Constitution. Just because a state makes mention of a God, doesn't make the entire country a Christian nation. We are a nation of many religions, many cultures, and thats what makes America great.

Please, don't try and take away from that.
I might suggest that there were a few Jews but nearly no Muslims in the US at the time those constitutions were written. Yes, they were trying to keep it from seeming like only Christianity was THE religion but that wasn't being done to give Islam the headway that many try to consider today.

Yep, I remember that Oba mao refused to take part in the National Day of Prayer that had been around for so long and then didn't try to slow down the same thing for Muslims that was held across the street from the White House.

If you can't accept those words as what they were obviously meant to be back when they were written then keep on trying to keep this from being a Christian nation. You and Oba mao may go far.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I might suggest that there were a few Jews but nearly no Muslims in the US at the time those constitutions were written. Yes, they were trying to keep it from seeming like only Christianity was THE religion but that wasn't being done to give Islam the headway that many try to consider today.

Yep, I remember that Oba mao refused to take part in the National Day of Prayer that had been around for so long and then didn't try to slow down the same thing for Muslims that was held across the street from the White House.

If you can't accept those words as what they were obviously meant to be back when they were written then keep on trying to keep this from being a Christian nation. You and Oba mao may go far.
I notice you didn't answer not a one of the examples where it doesn't mention God.

Saying it doesn't just make it true.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Now, now. Be fair. The President said in that speech IN TURKEY...
Don't you look at his speech in Cairo last spring or you may find just what I said. He is so afraid of being possibly politically incorrect as most liberals are that he does make that mistake now and then.

Was he right? No, he wasn't since Christianity is still far beyond the others, in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies