Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Also false:
http://www.usps.com/financials/_pdf/Appropriations2009_Final.pdf (broken link)
These USPS appropriations are for revenue foregone. Congress is simply paying USPS for the cost of free and reduced-rate services rendered by it on behalf of the blind and other clients as specified in law. These payments are a subsidy to those clients, not to USPS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
Government seems to handle sewage pretty well... though talk radio seems to still clog things up.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can anyone name and talk about a federal government-run program, over the last 50 years, that works/worked effectively and efficiently? I realize as individuals we can't know everything that's out there but as individuals we might know one program of which other people are unaware. I'm looking for a model program to say, "Well if that works/worked, why don't we do more federal government-run programs that way?"

The criteria should be it accomplished its objective (examples: to decrease crime, the number of poor/homeless/drug users/unemployed/prostitution, illegal immigrants, etc. or to improve something working poorly) and it didn't cost more than what was originally promised/budgeted.

If you can name one, tell us why you think it worked so when other federal government programs are proposed, we can look for the same signs that the new program will be successful in achieving its objective without doing harm and having cost overruns.
Can you name a privately run health insurance policy whose first goal is to maximize profits even if it means turning away someone after they fall ill or if they claim a preexisting condition wasn't revealed over the health of their customers?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 PM

294 posts, read 412,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can anyone name and talk about a federal government-run program, over the last 50 years, that works/worked effectively and efficiently? I realize as individuals we can't know everything that's out there but as individuals we might know one program of which other people are unaware. I'm looking for a model program to say, "Well if that works/worked, why don't we do more federal government-run programs that way?"

The criteria should be it accomplished its objective (examples: to decrease crime, the number of poor/homeless/drug users/unemployed/prostitution, illegal immigrants, etc. or to improve something working poorly) and it didn't cost more than what was originally promised/budgeted.

If you can name one, tell us why you think it worked so when other federal government programs are proposed, we can look for the same signs that the new program will be successful in achieving its objective without doing harm and having cost overruns.
Federal prisons

Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,353 times
How about the GAO?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
7 billion dollar deficit = effective and efficient operation
Only in liberalland

I think the real question is what is the source of the 7 billion dollar deficit? Is it because of inefficient operations or a result of increased operating costs not reflected in current postage costs or a result of increased paperless billing, etc. which reduces the funds coming into the USPS.

I don't know about the rest of you. But my mail has a pretty good track record. My mail comes around the same time every day like clockwork and when I stick a letter in the mailbox, I don't have concerns about it arrive at its destination and in reasonable time. I'd say that's pretty effective and efficient.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM

805 posts, read 774,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I have to agree with delusianne on this one...while not perfect the VA Heathcare system has improved much over the way it was in the 1970's. Sure there are still issues, not enough locations that all veterans can access easily, sometimes there a long waits, etc..., but overall it could be a good model for Obama to start from.

If you think about it, the VA should not be here. First of all, it's unionized. Second of all, it's a gigantic government bureaucracy. Third, it's micro-managed by Congress all the time. Fourth, it has to work on a yearly budget, so it has no way to do long-term planning. There's a thousand reasons why this thing shouldn't work. But it does.
The VA ? You have got to be kidding!
With the exception of show places like Walter Reed the VA does not pass the smell test, effective and efficient it is NOT!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I think the real question is what is the source of the 7 billion dollar deficit? Is it because of inefficient operations or a result of increased operating costs not reflected in current postage costs or a result of increased paperless billing, etc. which reduces the funds coming into the USPS.

I don't know about the rest of you. But my mail has a pretty good track record. My mail comes around the same time every day like clockwork and when I stick a letter in the mailbox, I don't have concerns about it arrive at its destination and in reasonable time. I'd say that's pretty effective and efficient.
Agree. Try sending that same piece of mail UPS or FEDEX and see what it costs.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post

Does the reason matter other than excuse making?
To be considered "effective and efficient" you have to be fluid in operation to keep with the times.

"I went to my mailbox today and there was mail in it" is hardly testimony to efficient operation in light of the fact that the USPS has a 7 billion dollar deficit!!!

This thread is more messed up than a liberals checkbook.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Agree. Try sending that same piece of mail UPS or FEDEX and see what it costs.
Thats cuz they pay their bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies